“Average Residence Inn, Across from Convention Ctr & Near Monorail”

Residence Inn Las Vegas Convention Center
Ranked #109 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Sacramento Valley
“Average Residence Inn, Across from Convention Ctr & Near Monorail”
Reviewed July 3, 2007

I stayed at the Las Vegas Convention Center Residence Inn for 8 nights during the last week of June. I was in town for the SHRM Annual Human Resources Conference and for some SHRM Academy Classes as well as some post conference golf. The SHRM Conference which attracted over 22,000 attendees was across the street (six lanes, busy at times) in the LV Convention Center and Hilton next door to LVCC. When there is not much traffic - early morning and some evenings, you can just walk across the street otherwise you have to go the lights. Which can be a bit unpleasant during a hot, hot day.

The weather was quite hot (102-106) I took Greyline Shuttle Bus from the airport to the Residence Inn. It cost about $7.00. The ResidenceInn is away from the Strip on Paradise road and across from the L.V. Convention Center. Which makes it convenient for those attending the convention but it is far from the Strip. I walked to the strip from the Residence Inn but it was during the morning and in the evening. It is a
long walk, 15 minutes plus and it is much tougher when it is hot. I also walked to Riviera Hotel one evening for a show. The Monorail is a better way to get to the strip and I purchased online a 10 ride ticket. The Monorail goes from the Sahara to the MGM Grand and makes around 7 stops on the East side of the Strip. Getting to the Monorail from the Hotels can be a bit tricky.

On Convention Center Road and Las Vegas Blvd., there is a Walgreens, where I picked up beverages, snacks and some medicine, because I caught a minor cold during my stay. It is a long walk when carrying bags in the heat. Next door to Residence Inn is a Courtyard and you can use the Courtyard Gym because this property does not have Gym. Down the street
is the Rennisance Hotel.

My SHRM Academy classes were at Venetian and there were shuttle buses from the convention center to the Venetian compliments of Kronos.

I choose this Residence Inn because of the proximity to the Convention Center, the Monorail and because there was a refridgerator in the room (which comes in handy when the weather is hot). Using my AAA card, I booked some advanced reservations online and I paid several during rates during my stay between $129.00 and $169.00.

I checked in Friday, around 12:00 noon, and the friendly front desk person from Wisconsin was able to check me into a "quiet" room upstairs near the back of the property. The room was a bit old but clean. Featured a queen size bed and sofa bed.

This Residence Inn offers a better than average breakfast in the
morning (alternates between bacon, sausage, corn beef hash, pancakes, andeggs, potatoes, donuts, pastries, breads, make your own waffles, fruits and beverages), as well light snack (Meatloaf, mash potatoes, salad and
Chicken Cesar Salad and cookies and beer) around dinner time from Monday thru Thursday. For complimentary meals they both were fine. Complimentary Web access in the Gatehouse as well as Wall Street Journal and local newspaper.

This Residence Inn is a bit older and reminds me of the Cal Expo
Residence Inn in Sacramento. My bed was of average comfort and the room was cleaned each day by Maria. The A.C. worked well but was a bit noisy and behind my wall must have been a loft room because I could hear some creaking at times during the night. Also there were some young Volleyball competitors in the units nearby and sometimes they stayed up late
and you could hear them chatting outside.

My front door required a particular pull the handle as you insert the card key to open. I reported this and a problem bedside light to "Sang," at the front desk. Nothing was done about it so I mentioned the light to another Marriott employee and it was fixed when returned from my conference. So service is not a priority at this property.

There is small sport court and small pool at this property.
Plenty of parking spots and you need your room key to open a gate into the parking lot.

Driving in and out of this property is not real smooth because you can only go South on Paradise Road when driving out of this property.

If I could get a really good rate, I might stay at this property again
but I would also consider the Renissance Hotel as well as Residence Inn in the Hughes Center, though the Monorail is not accessible from the R.I. in the Hughes Center. Service at this property was less than the Beverly Hills R.I. and Manhattan R.I.

If you looking for a property close to the convention center and close to the Monorail with a kitchen facility then this property might be your place. But their service is suspect.

• Liked — Location, Kitchen facilities, free breakfast and light snack
  • Disliked — Service, Some Neighbor Noise and Room Noise
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank SeminarTrekker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Okanagan, BC
Reviewed May 11, 2007

This was a great location right across from the convention center. It was easy to walk across to the convention or to the monorail station. The room was basic, but big and comfortable. We stayed in a 2 story, 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite. It had 3 TVs. There was a regular queen bed in one room and a murphy style bed in the other. I slept on the murphy bed and found it surprisingly comfortable. The pool was warm - not huge, but nice with lots of clean towels (the pool towels were softer than the room towels). The hot tub was great - loved the jets for our tired feet. A full breakfast is included with the room rate - eggs, toast, pancakes, waffles, bacon, sausages, muffins, etc etc etc. The front desk staff was not great - this was the only bad thing about it. They forgot our wakeup call one morning and the alarm clock did not work. They were slow to check us in, and did not tell us we had a package waiting for us. There was a coin laundry - $1 for washer or dryer. The cab ride to the airport was just over $10, not including tip - which is better than the airporter if you have more than one person (airporter is $6 and the driver took us to 2 other Marriotts before the correct one - even though we clearly told him which Marriott it was and we were the only ones on the bus). The monorail is a great way to get to the strip - it takes you to many of the major hotels & casinos. There was room to park our 12 foot trailer and our jeep right close to our room. We had an upper story (they call it a penthouse) room and had to carry our bags up 2 flights of stairs - no elevator. Lots of pretty singing birds including cute canaries.

• Liked — The location close to convention centre & monorail
  • Disliked — Front desk staff wasn't great
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Christina J
Southern US
Reviewed May 4, 2007

This Residence Inn is nice and clean but the rooms were almost all studios and very very small compared to other Residence Inn's I have visited. The grounds were well kept and the location was very good. Not to much traffic like the hotels on the strip but it was very close to the monorail line so transportation was no problem. I would stay here again but would request a larger room.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the size of the rooms
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank loghomes
Coronado, CA
Reviewed April 3, 2007

Nice hotel. Great pool. Complimentary breakfast and afternoon snack made hotel a great find. Would recommend to anyone wishing to get away from the noise of the Strip.

• Liked — The complimentary breakfast and afternoon snack.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Orange County, CA
Reviewed March 18, 2007

This is a nice property to stay at if you want to avoid the heinous Strip traffic. The LV Hilton is accross the street (but still a few minutes to walk) and the Wynn is not too far. Best of all, the monorail station was a couple minutes walk away and this was ideally suited for us because we did not want to drive on the strip if at all possible and when we did drive, we used Paradise Road as much as possible.

The grounds are clean and the staff is friendly. The pool is heated and not too crowded although not fancy but after I saw the pools at the resorts where every square inch was taken up by someone on a lounge chair, this was a welcome relief. The breakfast buffet was good: scrambled eggs, country potatoes, oatmeal, make your own waffles, sausage or corned beef hash, cereals, fruit, and a variety of pastries (muffins, toast, bagels etc.) is the typical offering.

The room was not bad. Clean but not spectacular. The pictures on the website are accurate. I would have given a better rating to this property except the 2 bedroom loft we stayed in was very creaky! One bedroom is right underneath the loft so we heard EVERY step. The air conditioning is pretty loud also.

Overall, it was a good value. Most guests looked to be business travelers and families.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family