“Great location yet quiet like a "normal" non-Vegas hotel”

Residence Inn Las Vegas Convention Center
Ranked #104 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
CA
“Great location yet quiet like a "normal" non-Vegas hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2011

Our family had to stay in Vegas for schedule reasons on our way to Utah but didn't really want to be there. This place was a pleasant surprise. We could barely tell we were in Vegas. The hotel has a lot of property and is surrounded by a gated parking lot. It was surprisingly quiet. The outdoor pool was great, and we also made use of the fitness center at their other property next door. My daughter and I enjoyed their sport court (i.e., baskeball hoop). Room was clean and comfortable. My one complaint was that the sofa bed mattress was unbearable, like sleeping on paper-covered springs (had to sleep on the couch instead); we mentioned this when leaving and they said they'd been getting several complaints with those new mattresses. Staff was friendly. Breakfast was plentiful and good. The guests didn't seem like the typical Vegas crowd. And for people who actually WANT to be in Vegas, the location is quite good, you can catch the monorail that runs from the convention center to a bunch of hotels.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
South Florida, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

I really didn't want to stay on The Strip on my recent visit to Vegas. I was happy to find this Residence Inn very close to the Strip (very close!), yet much quieter and no hassle of parking (lots of free parking here).

When I checked in, the front desk girl was soooo nice! First of all, she upgraded me to a 2 bedroom suite (a bottom floor bedroom and an upper floor bedroom / loft) with 2 complete bathrooms! I loved the room. She also provided me with a ton of information on Las Vegas, including where to go for free parking, etc. (a lot of the casinos want you to come in and offer free parking garages - don't ever pay to park in Vegas!). I appreciated all the information.

The grounds are magnificent. You can see by my photographs the manicured grounds. There's a common garden area with benches, and a barbeque grill. There's also a fabulous pool and there was a hot tub right outside my room. The hotel is very big, with several buildings. It is more like an apartment complex than a hotel.

The rooms are fully equipped with everything - including fast Internet (it's not wi-fi). I had 2 TVs, a living room, full kitchen, and the 2 bathrooms and 2 bedrooms. It was very clean, and the bed was extremely comfortable - standard excellent Marriott quality.

After a night on the Strip, I was glad I picked a hotel away from it. It's noisy and crowded on the Strip and I don't particularly care for all those very high-rise hotels. My choice could not have been more perfect.

The breakfast in the morning is the icing on the cake. It was a delicious full breakfast bar in a sunny, large room over by the pool area - couldn't be better.

Also, not that I cared, but this hotel is located right next to the convention center. It is also only a few steps away from a little metro-rail public transportation thing - if you choose not to drive around the Strip.

As great as this hotel was, the best thing about it was the staff. All fantastic! I reallly enjoyed my stay here. Oh, and the perfect Las Vegas weather didn't hurt!

And the price - very reasonable for Vegas. No complaints there.

p.s. If it sounds like I own stock in Marriott, I can assure you I don't - I am just really lucky with them. I'll rate a Best Western next just to show I am not biased!! :)

Room Tip: Opt for the 2 bedroom - it's great!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank tczig
Desert Hot Springs, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2011

I had a bad experience at the front desk, i had made a reservation that morning i was told that we could checkin at 3:00 pm, when we got there my family and i were really tired
it was about 90 deggres outside we needded a place to rest , they did not have our room ready and their attitude was terrible , they made us wait an hour. they said rooms are not ready at 3:00 so i responded that i was told that 3:00 . the reservation was made at the actual hotel , they did not believe me until i actually show them the number i had dialed that morning that still was in my phone. i had stayed many times at marriot hotels never had a problem before but this time was awful.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank georgedhs
CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

This is a very old, sad property. It has the basics that you need and was actually fairly clean. However surfaces were worn and chipped and the "king" sized bed was not.
They do serve a free hot breakfast but once the intial offering ran out (scrambled eggs for example) the staff did not replenish although the walked by several times.
I would not stay here again.
Stairs-no elevator to 2nd floor.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kimCa
Aspen, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2011

I arrived in Vegas at night totally exhausted after a 14 hour drive. The Strip was filled with bumper-to-bumper automobiles steered by wannabe NASCAR drivers. I had no reservation. (Yes, this was stupid on my part. You know the old saying, "Sometimes stupid happens".)

My first need was to find a motel/hotel where I could park & unload my car -- as opposed to paying a valet to hide my car in a mega-parking garage.

I hit the jackpot. By accident I soon discovered the "Resident Inn" sign surrounded by low-rise, condo-like units. The lady at check-in could not have been nicer. She led me to a first floor room facing my car. She also gave me an honest rate -- rather than take advantage of a tired guest.

The large suite/room contained a full kitchen and a comfortable couch sitting area. Everything was immaculate! As we were walking back to the desk for paperwork, she urged me to take advantage of the complimentary dinner -- which was about to shut down for the night.

The complimentary breakfast was, also, excellent. It included scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, oatmeal, fruits, and many goodies. It was served in a lobby/TV room that reminded me of a cozy Bed & Breakfast.

Across the street, you can board the monorail for a good overview of downtown Vegas.

Personally, I'd much rather stay in this "You are a person" Resident Inn, than in a "You are a number" mega-casino.

This Inn was truly an "Oasis in the Desert"!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank AspenBigSur
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2011

This hotel is spotless, roomy, a great value and conveniently located to the monorail so you can access the strip. Also, cabs are $5 to the top of the strip if you prefer that. Free breakfast is nice. Free popcorn in the room is GREAT after a night on the town! Stayed here with my husband for two days and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed January 2011
2 Thank MJPourpak
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights using Marriott points. It was not on the Strip but since it’s across the street from the Convention Center, transportation was easy, take Bus 108 at the airport for $2 and it stopped right at the hotel in just 25 minutes. Because of the early flight I arrived at the hotel at 9 am and check-in was fast and easy and I got my room in 2 minutes. The room was in reasonable size with a sitting area and a mini kitchen. Because of the new carpet, the whole room looked very new and clean. Except the cabinets in the kitchen and the bathroom that looked a bit aged, everything in the room was just fine, the bed was very comfortable with extra blanket and pillows and lots of storage space. The complimentary breakfast was great with scramble egg, beacon, sausage, cereals, bread and pastry…….just to give you a good start of the day.

All the staff at the receipt desk were very nice and friendly and tried their very best to help. The first night I wanted to use the computer at the lobby but it was not working, the lady at the night shift found another computer for me so I could check my email; and the next morning, the computer was fixed. But one thing that can be improved was that the staff may just drive to work so they were not quite familiar with the local public transportation and couldn’t give me the right info even they have tried very hard to do so. My advice is to pay $7 for a 24-hour RTC pass so you can catch all the buses in front of the hotel, on the strip and the vicinity, which can take you to all major hotels on the strip and downtown and also to the airport and the premium outlet mall. The monorail was too expensive (the convention center station was just across the street) so there were not too many passengers and you won’t feel safe especially at night time, all the stations were so quite and empty!

Overall this is a very nice and comfortable hotel and if you don’t mind to be a bit away from the strip (about 15 minutes walk back to the strip), it’s a very good choice.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family