“Beware of timeshare salespeople”
Review of Luxor Las Vegas

Luxor Las Vegas
Ranked #77 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Louisville, Kentucky
“Beware of timeshare salespeople”
Reviewed August 19, 2010

For anyone planning a stay at The Luxor in the near future, beware of timeshare salespeople that will approach you as if they are working for The Luxor. They approached my husband and I immediately as we entered the hotel (not mentioning that they did not work for the hotel) and before we realized it, we were being sucked into a 4 hour high pressured salespitch-the payment of which if we had bought into the timeshare was more than what we pay for our home mortgage! The only perk out of that 4 hour ordeal was that they gave us $100 in food vouchers for select restaurants at a couple of the other casino's restaurants and 2 tickets to the titanic exhibition. My husband and I started keeping track of the hotels where we didn't see the timeshare sales people and plan on staying at one of these hotels when we return to Las Vegas next May. If you want them to stop bothering you, just tell them that you've already done the tour. They'll stop their rehearsed salespitch if you tell them that you're either not going to be there the next day or that you've already done the tour. If not, they'll keep on talking-one kept on following me yelling "Maam, maam" until I told him that I had already done the tour-then he left me alone.

Also, I would definately recommend that people try other things besides in Las Vegas to further enjoy your trip. We tried a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon and a visit to the Skywalk. The helicopter experience was expensive (around $500 for the two of us) but was one of the most exciting things I have ever experenced and the Grand Canyon is very beautiful as you're flying through it on the way to the floor of the canyon. Definately worth the money in my opinion, and they pick you up at the hotel you're staying at..

My husband and I recently stayed in one of the spa suite rooms on the 13th floor. Very nice room-my only complaints were that I wish that there were thicker sheets and that there was no where to place bath products except for on the toilet near the shower. Overall, I enjoyed The Luxor, but would probably stay at another hotel in the future in order to avoid the pushy timeshare sales people.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
14 Thank HMSAPP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6,572)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2010

From reading some of these reviews I was partly expecting to find a body laying in the middle of the floor after I checked in.

Keep in mind this is a "mega" resort so the entire check in process at any of these huge Casino's is enough to make the average traveler feel like cattle. I have never stayed at a large Vegas resort without that impersonal feeling upon check in. If you want your hand held as you check in then opt for downtown or one of the smaller north strip Casinos.

I found my check in to be pretty typical;
Was greeted as I got out of the cab, my bags were taken and I was given a slip and a number to call to have them brought to my room once I checked in. After entering I was directed to the main deck which must have 20 people working it, and I waited in line for about five minutes.

I was upgraded from a Pyramid Room to one in the Tower upon check in which was a nice surprise, took the long walk to the back of the resort went up to my room called down to baggage and was checked in, with bags in room in less then 20 minutes.

If this is your first trip to Vegas you may find the location of the Luxor to be a bit of a pain as its about as South Strip as you get; however for me its pretty well where I want to be, There is a air conditioned walk way to the Excalibur and a tram that goes from Mandalay Bay, Luxor, and Excalibur and once you are at the Excalibur you can cross the street to New York, New York and then across again to the MGM which gives you Monorail access which will pretty well get you anywhere you need to along the strip, and if you are looking for a classic Vegas Casino to have a drink in the Tropicana is across the way.

The perk with Luxor is that I pretty well have everything I need in house.
The Liquidity Lounge served as my base of operations for the entire trip, its just off the casino its a very open bar and very comfortable to sit and grab a few drinks as you are waiting for people to show up.

The Casino is huge, and unlike most of the other mega Casino's its not a maze. Spots at tables were available and the servers were a bit faster then other Casinos.

The selection of restaurants is not bad; but the perk of the Luxor was that I could simply zip over to Mandalay or the Excalibur without having to go outside, its really like having the three in one.

The rooms themselves are nice;
The washrooms (in the towers anyway) were very nice, and the rooms were pretty well what you would find at a standard four star except rather then paintings of boats and mountain ranges its simply Egyptian themed. The bed was excellent, and room service and wake up calls were prompt.

The pool was great, but if you go at high noon you may have an issue getting a place to lounge that affords you any privacy but going in the morning and late afternoon I found that I could be five chairs away from the nearest person, and the service at the pool was quick and extremely friendly.

If you want to nit pick you fill find something you don't like but from someone who has been doing Vegas for a decade I always find myself coming back to the Luxor.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Shivan_Dragon
LA
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Its not a bad place to stay, rooms are nice and clean, specially in the tower area. Dont stay in the pyramid rooms, they are older. From what I hear, they have just slapped on a resort fee also, so not worth staying there anymore. From what I hear its $87 resort fee for 3 nights stay. Very steep.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I have only been to Vegas for Buisness Trips and always been in the very top priced hotels there (MGM multiple times). This trip was for pleasure and vacation and I found a good deal on-line at the Luxor. I can say I will NEVER use an on-line service to book a hotel without just directly calling the hotel again for a good rate. I ended up having to double pay to get the type of room I wanted. After reading so many bad reviews about the Luxor, I got a little worried about what I would find once there.

Check in was smooth, but I arrived early afternoon and was in the West Tower so I skipped the main registration area. The room was on the 21st floor and I had a really poor view in general of the the back parking lot. The elevator wouldn't let me choose my floor for 1/2 of the stay so I had to get off at the 20th floor and walk up a flight of emergency steps which was odd. The room itself was OK, but nothing special. I've stayed in everything from roach motels in out of the way places to the Waldor Astoria before, so overall this room was average, just ok in terms of cleaness. The internet service was only by cable and it SUCKED for the resort fee. NO wireless anywhere in Vegas hotels but the airport...what is up with that?

The biggest problem I had was getting where I wanted to go in Vegas. There was no good access to the monorail with out walking 35 minutes through three other hotels. Cost for taxis is up there in price these days.

Save yourself the trouble and stay at the MGM or at a hotel with easy access to the monorail.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank MadamMB
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Another strip Hotel thats jumped on the band wagon on charging resort charges - This is not a resort !
These charges are just a way to slap an add on charge - be a honest Hotel , and include it in the Room Rates.
We boycott any hotel that charges a resort charge, so will never stay at the Luxor whist the have this new policy.

Rooms are Basic, Dark, Old style TV, and no real desk for internet , There is NO wirless internet in this Hotel, if you pay under $40 they are OK, but any more, They are not good value . there is much better on the strip , ( and with out resort charges )

Pool, its a liite boring, if you want a comfy sun bed they will charge $25 !! - Hello , whats the resort charge for .....

Food in the Cafe was fine, Staff friendly enough

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank j0llyjenks
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2010

this is not the place for you! Hated the design of the interior and the interior balcony outside the room. This was the 2nd of a 4 multi-centre holiday and by a long shot the worst. The exterior looks super but inside it was beige/brown/beige and just plain dowdy, tacky, tired and boring. Have stayed at the MGM before which was by far better and more upbeat. The rooms did not offer much, there was a broken board supporting the mattress; no tea making - a drinks vending and ice machine missions down the hall; basic bathroom, dingy lighting and outside - well lets not talk about the suicide balcony any more; clunky 'inclinators' which just added to a nervous disposition... I could go on .. and I will. A visit to the resident Titanic Exhbition was ridiculous in cost and did not offer value for money (wish I had bought the tickets earlier in the day from outside the M and M shop for $9 instead of £25 but it was too hot/far to walk back). Did not appreciate having cards of semi-clad women extolling the efficiency in attending to customers particular needs flicked in my face on multiple occasions, particularly when in the company of my 2 teenage children and husband. However, the highlight of 'That Vegas Holiday' was the Circqu du Soliel take on the Beatles 'Love' album - stunning and highly recommended. Won't be going back to Vegas again under any circumstances.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank dkthpage
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2010

We visited Vegas for the first time. We did not know hotel locations or quality, so we took advice from our travel operator and stayed at the Luxor.
It is situated at the front of the strip, this means long walks to almost everywhere.
When we arrived we were quickly whisked over to a desk were we thought they were doing express check-in. They were selling timeshares. This was not the start to my vegas trip I wanted.
We were on the 22nd floor. We looked out over the pool. The view was great. The room was basic. It was clean and comfortable but no frills. There was no refridgerator. I assumed this would have been standard in the desert! The air conditioning was also poor. It was stuck in the corner and it only seemed to cool that corner down.

My general feel of the luxor was that it looked dirty. Not the rooms, the hotel floor. We visited one of the restaurants. The food was ok. The service was great but the surroundings were in need of updating.
We did use the foodcourt on the first floor. This was much better and definitely cleaner.
We did not stay in our hotel too much. We spent our time in other hotels as their eateries seemed much more appetizing.
The saving grace for the Luxor is the pool. We sat at the pool through the day and the pool temperature was great. It cooled you down dramatically.

If it wasn't for the pool and the valet parking, I would have hated this hotel.

The only tip I could offer is, buy your water from outside. We were buying 1litre bottles for 99c and the hotel was selling 450ml bottles for $4.50.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family