“Luxor Hotel-Good but you can do better”
Review of Luxor Las Vegas

Luxor Las Vegas
Ranked #80 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 4, 2010

After reading comments on site before I travelled, I was nervous. I even called the hotel 3 weeks before I went and spoke to guest service agents– Diane and Sean. I told them of my concerns and they assured me that I had nothing to worry about, I should not beleive every comments on the internet. Upon checking in the hotel, yes the lines were long, but it moved very quickly, I was told that only a queen smoking room was available. I told the guest service agent that I reserved a non-smoking king room. I explained that I am asthmatic and could not stay in a smoking room, first the guest service agent did not want to change my room as she stated that rooms are reserved and given out on a fist come first served basis and that although I booked a non smoking room, it was not guaranteed that I would be given that room. I asked her to try finding a non smoming room as I could not stay in a smoking room. I remained calm and again asked her for a non-smoking room and again she said that she could not. Finally the guest service agent next to her told her to unblock a room for me, which she did.

The room was clean, except of the apple peel that remained on the floor for my entire 4 days stay, although the cleaning person came in everyday.

The furniture is old with scratches and the sitting chair is in horrible condition that I did not even sit on the chair and definitely needs to be changed. The bed was soft but comfortable. The bathroom is spacious and clean. Although I was surprised my the room we were given based on users comments, I think that because I called in advance and spoke with Diane and Sean from guest service, as the guest service agent indicated that there were notes in the records, I wondered what kind of room I would I have received otherwise? Would I stay at this hotel again – probably not.

1  Thank weekendshopper15
There are newer reviews for Luxor Las Vegas

Reviewed January 4, 2010

We made reservations almost 6 months in advance and thought that we would get the best rooms for booking way ahead, but when we arrived at the hotel.
we we're put into an awful rooms, facing a brick wall.
We had requested a room with a view, far in advance, but we we're cheated out of our money, as the Luxor is very expensive.
We we're told that all the rooms we're booked and occupied, but we saw alot of other people being put into excellent rooms with excellent views.
We asked to see the manager and we we're not accomindated with our requests.
I don't reccomend the Luxor for anyone and will stay at other hotels that will treat us with respect and honesty.
Every where we went, we felt that we were not wanted.
We attended a concert and we had comments made about us being their.
The police told us to watch ourselves also.
I felt very uncomfortable and uneasy withen the whole town itself and warned my kids to be careful and always be looking over their backs.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank HonestAbe74
Reviewed January 4, 2010

We stayed at the Luxor for 5 nights over Christmas, leaving right before the craziness of New Year's Eve with our two young kids, 12 & 7. I booked directly through their website and got their "1 night free" deal that made our room our average night's stay around $75 a night. Long line at check-in, but it was x-mas eve which I expected. We had booked a pyramid room because the kids wanted to stay in the pyramid, but they only had a 3rd floor room available which wouldn't have allowed much of a ride in the inclinators, so they put us in a 16th floor room in the west tower, newer rooms than in the pyrmaid, no complaints there.

My biggest complaint is the parking garage, which is miniscule and frustrating to find a spot after a day out. We ended up parking at the Mandalay Bay and just walking voer rather than dealing with that mess. They should really expand the garage.

Other than that, nice hotel for the price. We don't spend a lot of time in the rooms, so why pay $150- a night at nearby properties?

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2010

We booked at the last minute 6 nights same price as a week in Tenerife no contest, this was our 5th visit to Vegas in 7 years, we had stayed at Circus Circus 3 times and NYNY once, we where offered the Luxor for about £50 more than Circus Circus we had always wanted to stay in the Luxor this was our chance. We had requested a high Pyramid room which was not available on arrival so we took the West tower room offered instead, the rooms in the towers are better than the pyramid rooms which hold the kudos, the room was immaculate apart from some wear and tear on the chairs, it had 2 queen beds and a big bath and seperate shower, iron and board, TV (never used by us), hairdryer, no drinks maker, no wifi, no fridge, no mini bar, none of that bothered us anyway we where not there to love our room. A point here, when you book and pay for your holiday you may think that you have paid for the lot, wrong, Vegas has 2 new taxes and charges, first the Resort tax $14 a day, then the ammenities charge for papers, room service, use of gym/pool etc etc wether you use them or not, but you can opt out if you want, but not the Resort tax, after they tried to bill me for $600 I opted out of the ammenity charge but still paid $85 Resort tax. The Resort was mobbed coming up to Xmas and New Year so be prepared for queues checking in/out, lifts (you need to use your room card to make the lift go up) meals, airports, taxis etc. The Luxor hotel is gobsmacking from the first external sight then entering the foyer area, then as you wander around you realise how big it is, the attention to detail is excellent even in the quieter areas no expense is spared keeping up the Egyptian theme. It has a main Pyramid which has rooms cleverly constructed to maintain a pyramid shape, the Casino, bars, various shops, downstairs the buffet restaurant $29 all day eating, upstairs the fast food restaurants and theatres/exhibitions, two external accomodation blocks, East and West with linking corridoors also housing the Gyms/pamper rooms, conference rooms etc. The Luxor is also attached by walkway/escalators to the Excaliber hotel and by free monorail to the Mandalay Bay and Excaliber hotels. The hotels location is near the end of the strip opposite the airport but well within easy walking distance of the MGM NYNY, Tropicana and Monte Carlo hotels to name only a few, every other hotel would be no more than $20 away, or theres the bus $7 for 24 hrs. The Luxor offers everything from a 4 star hotel ideally it could be more central to the Strip but that is a minor point, my advice would be go for a tower room unless your after a pyramid room with jacuzzi overlooking the Strip Some tips, be prepared for the taxes when you arrive, be prepared for queues at busy periods, be prepared that imported drinks are not cheap, be prepared for 1000s of other tourists from everywhere not just UK or USA, be prepared for touts handing out female escort flyers (they are annoying)on the Strip, nothing is free, free offers of shows normally means some form of Timeshare visit , If you have never been to Vegas take it for what it is, entertainment, get out of it what you want, dont let Vegas control you, there is a hell of a lot more than just gambling, and dont forget your camera.

3  Thank 80marines
Reviewed January 4, 2010

My husband and I are just back from a visit to Las Vegas for a week, 23rd Dec 2009. Beware the hotel booking in, its chaos, they will ask you to agree to an additional $12.95 each night for the duration of your stay, this is to cover 2 x 25ml bottles of water, a Las Vegas news paper (10 pages), all local calls, and internet access.

We thought at the time, okay fair enough.... We only has water on day one, we had to complain to get further bottles. Internet can no be accessed as believed via the TV in your room, thats an additional $5.00. You can only get internet access if you have brought your lap top with you on holiday. The newspaper, is just ads.

We complained and asked to stop paying the £12.95 and were told that it was 'compulsory' charge and could not be levied and we were welcome to leave the hotel.... We spoke to three people, higher each time, and all equally rude as the others!!!!

We would never recommend this hotel, a few of the waitresses were great, but on the whole people were rude, the rooms unless you upgraded (another $20 per night) were way pass their sell by date.

we checked out all of the other hotels, for our next trip and spoke to other holiday makers, and it seems that the Bellagion or The Venetian were the best places to stop.

Dinner at the Stratosphere is a must, its very expensive for dinner $200 for 2 course for 2 people, 1 glass of wine and 1 cocktail, but the staff are amazing and so is the view.

Ignore the buffet offers they arent worth it, unless your very very hungry..

We also drove to the Grand Canyon, stayed overnight at the Best Western in Williams, again this was a really good hotel, justed turned up, £70 for the night inc breakfast. Only draw back was a 3hr traffice jam on the Hoover dam due to security checks.

All in all great holiday, very expensive, avoid the Luxor

1  Thank OakleyOxford
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Stayed at the Luxor last year and was happy with the hotel, just from seeing other hotels i would try somewhere different next time, which i guess is what Vegas is all about.

Stayed in one of the towers and room was clean and serviced regularly, pool area was great, casino a bit lacking in atmosphere compared to others.

Overall, worth a try but next time i will look to stay a bit further up the strip, maybe NYNY.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2010

We stayed one night, but I enjoyed it. The rooms were clean and our rate was not expensive, about $75 per room. It was located on the strip with easy access to everything.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family