“Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be........”
Review of Luxor Las Vegas

Luxor Las Vegas
Ranked #75 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
nashville
“Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be........”
Reviewed December 4, 2009

I stayed at Luxor Thur. Sept.10th- Mon. Sept. 14th '09. It was my first trip to Vegas and I was with my boyfriend, friends, and family for my brother's wedding. I was very nervous due to all the bad reviews I had read online after I booked. We arrived at the hotel around 4pm . The outside is HUGE and breathtaking. Really cool! When you first walk in, there are people who try to lure you into some timeshare demo with "free tickets" and such, but if you immediately tell them you are not interested they will leave you alone. Yes, there was a long line at check-in, but it moved very quickly. Whole process took less than 20 min. We were given a room in the pyramid and given directions to the elevator. Wasn't difficult to find. I didn't think the inclinators were any big deal, but some people in my group thought they were really cool, and others said they made them nauseus. To me, they really didn't feel much different form any other elevator. Luckily our room was right off from the elevator, so no big walks. The room itself was not very impressive. The beds looked about 400 yrs old as did the decor. The bonus was a big armoire to put all your stuff in and the bathroom was big and roomy and looked recently updated. The room and bathroom looked very clean. But it was definately no more luxurious than the average Holiday Inn. We had plenty of towels and they did have some toiletries on the counter but they sucked in my opinion. But it didn't matter because I bring my own stuff. The overhead light in our bathroom was extremely dim and needed to be replaced. I made a call to maintenance and they said they would be right up to fix it. But when we got back to the room around 1 am, it wasn't fixed. I called again and they came up and fixed it. Said they had been in the middle of a shift change earlier and it got overlooked.
We were on the 21st(?) floor and never heard any noise from anywhere. Except of course the sounds of slot machines ringing in our own heads!
The casino itself wasn't as fancy as some other hotels, but it was fine. They have lots of bars and restaurants and even a foodcourt. And 3 Starbucks!!! Lot's of little stores, too. It took us about 2 days to really learn our way around the place. You do alot of walking in circles at frist because it's just so massive. We ate at the More buffet once for lunch. It was really good and clean. Huge selection. A little on the pricey side though. $16 for lunch and like $30 for a whole day.
On Sat I had placed the do not disturb sign on the door because we were getting ready for the wedding and didn't want to be interrupted. And I guess housekeeping doesn't do a second round because when we got home that night, they hadn't been there. But we called the desk and someone came right up to bring more towels, take the old ones, and empty the trash.
On Monday morning I went to the desk and asked them to print my boarding pass, which they did for free. One big, giant rip off is the "reaort" fee they make you pay. They charge $14.95/DAY for a stupid USA Today and 2 MINI bottles of tap water. Yes, tap water. It even says on the bottle "from a municiple source." We never even opened a paper and only drank the water when desperate. We had to pay that up front when we checked in, I guess because we had already pre-paid everything else when we booked with our credit card. I think the fee also allows you to use the fitness room, but who works out in Vegas??? Walking 500 miles a day is enough exercise in my book!
Another bonus is the walkways between Excalibur and Mandalay Bay. And there is a free tram that will take you to both hotels also. I would possibly stay there again, because I already know my way around there, but would like to stay somewhere else just for a new experience.

• Stayed September 2009
2 Thank lindysuzy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6,538)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
LA
Reviewed December 4, 2009

50 minutes to check in. Apathhetic staff. Broken glass on rug outside hotel room. Reported it to house keeping and front desk, never clened up, even though the maid made our bed every day of our stay. Hotel sheets dirty/heavily stained. Asked to have them replaced. Took twenty four hours. Had "miscellanous charges" billed to my credit card several weeks after my stay. No explanation from the Luxor. Had to dispute charges with credit card company.
By far the worse experience I've ever had with a hotel in Vegas. Horrible!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank woodywoodLA
San Jose, CA
Reviewed December 3, 2009

Got a deal for $50/night at the Luxor for a couple of mid-week days and let me just say it was definitely a $50 room. The good: decent shower, nice view (over the Sphinx), reasonably clean, and surprisingly quiet. The bad: horrible saggy beds, water-stained walls, internet jack on top of the tv (not close to a table or desk), out of date furnishings, and a long walk from the elevator (while there are elevators running on all four corners, only one was operating at our floor). This place really needs some help! I stayed here a few years ago and don't remember it looking so bad, but then I had a room in one of the areas outside of the pyramid.

Other than a mediocre room, the hotel was fine for a quick and cheap stay. Check-in was fast, the Pyramid Cafe had decent food (much better than the 24-hr cafe at Mandalay Bay, surprisingly), and plenty of Starbucks to keep my husband happy. We saw the Criss Angel show which was very disappointing - save your money. It's an easy walk/tram ride to MB or Excalibur with shopping along the way; we rented a car and traffic was light, so we had no problem getting around. We didn't mind the location at all; it made the hotel less-crowded and more relaxed.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pvg
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed December 2, 2009

I liked our hotel they had finished renovating part of the hotel and upgraded our room for $20 since it was down season. I liked the hotel but found it really far down the strip from the shopping area but I would stay there again. It was clean and the staff was nice!!!

Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank KristineR11
los angeles
Reviewed November 30, 2009

We stayed here because they were offering a Stevie Wonder (MGM) concert/2 night minimum stay package. The tickets weren't too shabby and the concert was great. The Luxor needs a good steam cleaning. I think it can be saved, but overall, I wouldn't stay there again. The pyramid room had finger prints all over the windows. If you have pyramid rooms, you really need to keep up with the windows. I mean they were so obvious. They need new management. And when we checked in of course they had no king size beds under the package price we got, so they tried to get us to "upgrade"= more money. We agreed for one night and then went back to a standard room the next. it wasn't about the money, it was about the principle. The standard room in the pyramid was "nicer" than the tower room. The workers kept telling us the opposite. The actually cleanliness of the room or lack there of had a downtown Vegas feel instead of "the Strip". After you finish paying the resort fee, the upgrade (if you want a king bed) and taxes, the rooms aren't as cheap(in cost) as they seem. I would definitely just pay 20 or 30 bucks extra and stay somewhere else. Next time I'll go with the ticket deals the MGM is handing out instead of the Luxor, for sure.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nippyfan
oregon
Reviewed November 30, 2009

I just wanted to say that this was a pretty dirty trick! We signed up for the guaranteed low rate thinking we would have a "decent" room. When we got there, we were asked if we wanted to "upgrade to a "higher level room" we said no. We researched and knew that the rate we paid was within our budget and we were sticking to a budget. So.... you stuck us on the 4th floor - first we walked forever to the elavator then once on the 4th floor we walked past 50 - 60 (?) rooms just to get to ours. Then when we arrived we found our room to be over the filthy loud air vent from the restaurant (?) we could not even talk/hear each other in the hall as we tried to open the door. Once in the room, we found that we were to be looking out the window to a block wall. The carpets were awful - stained and dirty. It looked as if someone had already used the bathroom (probably the couple ahead of us who went to the room and walked out?). We went back to registration and paid the extra $20.00 flippin per night to be upgraded to the 9th floor. Why did you not just say on your web site that if you want crap here is the low rate. If you want decent you will pay $20.00 above the crappy room rate. Once we were on the 9th floor the room was great. However, the registration experence and the walk to and from the 4th floor room had left a bad taste in my mouth. I refused to spend any money in the hotel. We walked down the strip to gamble and eat. On a good note - the Titanic Exhibit was wonderful!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OregonKelbelle
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 30, 2009

We booked the room using our Amex points. When we checked in we were given a room in the old wing of the hotel. The room was terrible - stained carpet, bathroom not cleaned properly and a peculiar smell in the hallway and the room. When I called to complain that this was not a 4 star quality room, the manager said that the ratings on the website were not their responsible and were recorded by the websites. Did she agree then that their hotel should not be a 4 star rating? We were given a room in a another wing, which was marginally better.

Overall our experience left much to be desired. I would not stay at Luxor again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple