“Guy trip at Luxor”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sachse, Texas, Usa
“Guy trip at Luxor”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Good place to stay overall. Travel agency missed up room reservations but front desk lady was very helpful in fixing. Upgraded to a bigger suite (that was nice) but didn't feel hotel upgraded service level

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6,566)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Ireland
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Tower Luxury Suite East Tower Review(along with hotel)

We had a Pyramind Suite booked and paid for but tried to upgrade on arrival. I openly tipped the girl $20 to help me with the upgrade and she audibly laughed when she saw it which was rude because I said I wanted to find out how MUCH an upgrade would be because(I wanted to go from the lowest room to the highest so knew it wouldn't be done for free). When I paid for the upgrade in the end she handed back the $20 and to the end of the check in she eyeballed the $20 as though I was going to give it back to her. After paying $$s to upgrade and her laugh at the $20 I was keeping that for myself.

We were given a Tower Suite on the East Tower on the 5th and were disappointed with the view, the floor and it's location. We didn't get the promised floor to ceiling windows(as promised on the website and by the check in assistant) and got a view of a sort of wall/perch above where the taxi's queue for the pyramid side. If you stood on the couch and stretched on your toes you could see the top of the MGM or Excalibur in the distance. Hardly worth upgrading to a strip view suite when you cannot see much other than a wall. The room itself was nicely appointed with an amazingly comfortable King Bed and great air con. The bathroom had a double sink, tub and shower. My wife didn't like the shower because it was far too powerful so the only way to keep it at a warm to hot temperature is to have the pressure really high. It didn't bother me to be honest and I would have described it a great shower. The toilet was weird in the sense that it sucks like an airplane toilet. The living area has a large flat screen, couch, single chair, coffee table, wet bar, fridge(empty), table and 2 chairs along with a Coffee Pot. It is Wolfgang puck Coffee and you get two reg and two decaf per maid service. Towels, I counted 22 towels in the rooms between the wet bar and the bathroom. Overkill one would think. There were 6 lifts in our tower and they were extremely quick so getting put anywhere above floor 5 would be a good suggestion. It goes up to 20. I noticed that along the corridor to the east wing from the casino/reception there were a few bedroom doors so if there were about 2000 people in the tower rooms then all those people are passing your door. DO NOT get a ground floor room basically unless you plan on drinking yourself to sleep.

I marked the Cleanliness low because the housekeeping for our room was not great. The floor was certainly not vacuumed during our 4 night stay and the replenishment of Coffee and Toiletteries was sporadic.

We didn't eat in the Buffet or any of the restaurants. We visited the food court upstairs which was fine and functional.

I was very annoyed when we arrived to check in. We came in the door and somebody with a Luxor namebadge asked "Are you staying for more than one night" and proceeded to drag us over to an events counter. After an 11 hour flight I asked directly if this was check in and he faffed around the answer stil trying to sell things with each answer. There was a large queue forming at the real checkin and he put us at least 5 people behind. I was quite annoyed that on arrival with large suitcases the hotel would try to con us into a fake check in desk(saying "he will bring you to checkin in a minute") to try to sell us anything and everything. The hotel evens leaves voicemails on your room phone trying to upsell products and services and has about 5 TV channels as well. The TV Channels I didn't mind because I could read them without somebody trying to force me into a purchase.

Getting to and from the Strip can be a nuisance. The Deuce or SDX bus does not stop at the hotel in either direction(goes up and down the strip to Freemount and the Outlet). The Monorail does not stop going to the hotel either. You have to get it from the Excalibur to the Mandalay bay and then get one back. Stupid really but sometimes when you are just sick of walking it is the only way.

We choose the Luxor because (1) our travel agent suggested it and (2) my father had stayed there but would I stay there again? No I would not and ONLY because of it's location on the strip. For comparable price and rooms I suppose the Flamingo would be suitable so might consider that next time unless I splash out and stay in the Aria and Cosmopolitan which looked amazing. Mandalay Bay is further down but the Luxor is far enough. People say "bring your walking shoes" when they tell you about Vegas and they are correct. You might look at a map and see a location one block away or so but walking directly is not an option. The sidewalk might go straight to a certain extent but then left right up a stairs around a corner down a stairs and you are stil only a few steps further than you were. It's all very annoying really. Some junctions you can cross at and others you must walk and walk and walk to get to an overhead crosswalk. Some junctions force you up a stairs and through a shopping mall before you can get back out on the strip down the stairs to continue your journey so if you stay in the Luxor and consider walking bear this in mind.

Room Tip: Tower, High Floor, West Tower(Strip), East Tower(pool, freeway)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BertieBaron
Eagle
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The Luxor is well located as the focus of the strip moves southward. The inclinators are unique to this hotel and take a moment to get used to. The hotel is unique and the view on the inside is just as interesting as the outside. However, some of the areas need refurbishment as they are not to the MGM Resorts standards of their other properties. Rooms on the west side in the afternoon, where ours was got very warm even with the air conditioning set to its maximum level. Overall it is a nice property but not a great one in Las Vegas.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank idahosandy
Toronto
Reviewed May 26, 2013

It's a mini-city inside (much like many other casinos of course). The food selection is somewhat limited - only compared to some other hotels in Vegas. You'd get bored with the few restaurants if you are staying longer than just a few days.
The rooma are nice and clean, and the "tower" part of the hotel has newer renovated rooms, as well as bathtubs (if you're into soaking). The "pyramid" part of the hotel has rooms with just a shower.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Brandon, FL
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Sadly disappointed that I chose this as my hotel for my very first-ever trip to Vegas. The place is a strange mixture of super-cool and spectacular mixed in with decay and decline. The place is in SERIOUS need of a face lift, beginning with the (alleged) A/C system. It is air conditioning in name only. In truth, it is a noise box that cools about 1/5th of your room - the fifth that you rarely occupy. Complained to the desk about it and got a very snooty sort of response from the check-in manager, who I found to be rude, uncaring and condescending to this obvious NON-high roller. The buffet was pathetic - I've had better at Golden Corral. The non-optional resort fee is a ripoff, the parking is a block away, the odds/payouts at the casino are criminally tight, and if you aren't waving $100 bills around all over the place I felt they just considered you a nuisance. It has so much promise, and with some TLC, some capitol investment and some attitude adjustment it could be a great resort, but as it is, I found myself deeply regretting my choice and second-guessing the management capabilities of MGM, the parent company. Obviously would not recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed May 25, 2013

While I would have loved to stayed at a more luxurious hotel on the Strip, my budget didn't allow for that. We went for a girls trip, and got a great deal. I thought it ended up being a great location. Rooms were standard, no complaints. I did find it a little hard to navigate, and walked all over the place. But that's Vegas!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Portage, Indiana, Usa
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I came to vegas with my fiancee to celebrate his birthday and we had a great time visiting the Luxor. The staff was great, the hotel was clean,the casino was clean and I love the walkways to visit the Excalibur and to Mandalay Shops. It was a great trip.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple