“Luxor lacking Luxury”

Luxor Las Vegas
Ranked #84 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed at the Luxor Hotel and Casino in early March of 2013. This is the first time we have ever been to Vegas so choosing a hotel was a great chore. After researching for months we adventually choose the Luxor because it had all of the amenities and shows that we were seeking.
We booked our vacation through Vegas.com and were not disapointed with this website. It offered everything that you needed to book a Vegas vacation at the lowest price we could find. Also, this website has so much information for the Vegas virgin.
Now on to the hotel... this is a very large hotel and casino. It is easy to get lost here. The bonus is that it is connected to both the Mandaly Bay and the Excalibur. You do not even have to go outdoors if you wish to only visity these three hotels.
There are three main areas of the Luxor hotel. The Pyramid, East Tower and West Tower. We origionally booked a standard King Pyramid room at a very good rate. When we arrived at the hotel it was later in the day and we were given an upgrade to a standard Tower room. When I say standard, I mean standard. You can compare this type of room to a Holiday Inn with better decoration and maybe a more comfortable bed. I am sure it does not hold the same standard as lets say the Bellagio or even Treasure Island.
In the room was a bathroom with a small shower and a seperate soaking tub. There were no vents in the bathroom. In the bedroom area was a very comfortable king sized bed, two chairs, small table, desk, and a rather large tv/closet armoire. There is no coffee maker, mini fridge or any other luxury that you might expect. There is an alarm clock, an iron, and a blow dryer. Thats about it. There was maid service daily and staff was very pleasant and helpful. Housekeeping did not delay to bring extra towels, blankets, etc.
The location of the Luxor is not the best in Vegas. It is all the way at the end of the strip. Be prepared for a LOT of walking if you want to sight see. The closest monorail is at the MGM for the Vegas strip. It is quite a walk to just there. I am sure there are other transportation options though. Just ask the helpful people at the front desk. If you are walking though be prepared for lots of homeless persons asking for money and men standing on the sidewalks passing out cards for prostitutes (maybe thats your thing though... no judgement here.)
The shows that are offered at the Luxor are outstanding. We saw Chris Angel and Carrot Top. These are shows not to miss if you come to Vegas. The hotel also offers Fantasy, Menopause the Musical, Titanic and Bodies exibit.
The food here ath the Luxor was just OK. Our favorite was T&T. Very good Mexican food with a beautiful presentation. The Watermelon Margarita was the best I have ever had.
The casino was very large. Easy to get lost in. Staff very helpful and friendly. The only thing that would not bring me back here was the Timeshare people who basically harass you every time you walked past them. These people offer you discount show tickets (they are not free) if you attend a 120 minute presentation. Please, I was almost trapped, but I then came to my senses. These people want to trap you and put you on a bus that goes who knows where and trap you until you agree to buy a timeshare. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!
Overall, this was a great place to stay. If you are looking for luxury then the Luxor is not for you.

3  Thank Melissa G
Write a ReviewReviews (31,498)

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Luxor on the phone when setting up our rooms spoke so personally about each room and exactly what we would be receiving. We called directly to the Luxor Hotel, not a 3rd party site.
They assured us repeatedly on multiple phone calls our rooms were next to each other, on the same floor. They would wave the resort fees and the rollaway charges.
When we arrived they told us NONE of this was true. We said ok? They went on to tell us (At their own front desk) that was a different department. We called the Luxor, not a 3rd party travel site. They told us their was NOTHING they could do. So basically we should not call the Luxor to book next time. Sorry sir, that is a different department. The phone numbers given to contact the Luxor do not connect to anyone that will even discuss the situation.
They also added the Resort fee, which we also discussed with the person on the phone who continously told us - because of our package that was waived.
Front Desk- absolutely not. We would never do that. Great- can you contact that department- sorry that is another department. Yes, you told us that - but you and them are still the Luxor.
I will not book at this hotel again as the runaround has no way of being resolved. Also realize they overcharged us for our rooms - ultimately we could have stayed at a better hotel, because we did pay for it.

Room Tip: They will not honor the room you book... so not in every case - but if there is an issue, it will no...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank impulseGUIDE
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We recently stayed at the Luxor Las Vegas (March 2013) I was a little worried at first due to quite a few negative reviews, but my fears were calmed upon check in. We booked a pyramid deluxe room. It was clean, and nicely furnished. Would have been nice to have a mini fridge and safe. The property is unique, has several restaurants and a food court. Sure I guess if you look close for it, you may see what others have complained about- some worn carpet, areas need paint etc.., but for the price you pay you know you are not booking the Ritz. Over all it was clean and pretty well maintained, except my only slight issue ( and its just a word to let people know what to expect) was with the elevators- they call them inclinators because they actually go up sideways due to the design of the pyramid, The first time you take it , you get a little wobbly leg feeling like you are on a ship. There is one elevator ( # 5 in the 2 b ) that actually shakes so much that that panels inside the elevator rattle enough so the emergency phone door cover rattled open.
I think if you go expecting a clean , basic room you would be happy.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was our first time for staying at the Luxor; in fact, our first time in Las Vegas. We checked in late in the day. All the check-in stations were staffed, so the wait was only about 6-7 minutes. They charge an $18 + tax "Resort Fee" which I asked to have waived; they don't do that. We stayed in one of the Pyramid rooms. The elevator goes up sideways, giving an odd sensation, but a fun one. The furniture was Egyptian-themed; the bed was very comfortable; there was a comfortable upholstered chair in addition to the two chairs at a small table; the view out the window was of the Mandalay Bay Hotel, which, when the sun shone on it first thing in the morning made it look as though it was gilded with gold. All the cleaning staff were friendly, greeting you as you walked down the halls. Towels were on the thin side but adequate. The bathroom door on the bottom was peeling from moisture from the shower. No coffee maker in the room; most rooms in our travels have one, so we missed that. The T & T was a good choice; friendly staff, good food, Mariachi group. Indoor walkways lead to Mandalay Bay and the Excalibur, with small shops along the way. We enjoyed our stay but would stay at a different hotel next time, simply to see what they're like.

Model A Traveler

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 7, 2013

While I enjoyed my stay at the Luxor it did not seem as glamorous as it neighbor Mandelay Bay and it was certainly not as nice as the Bellagio. I have to agree with some of the other guests, check in can be a nightmare. Long lines, and keys that don't work the first time. After a long day of travel, patience waiting in long line at check-in, got to my room and the key would not work. Back to the hotel lobby where the check-in line grew 3 fold by the time I got back. Did not want to try the casino food, so I rented a car and hit a few of the local "best breakfast in vegas" restaurants food website. I also hit a TripleD location called Forte Grill, Bar, and Lounge featuring Bulgarian/Russian cusine. It was great, except of the snotty sister of the owner. Glammed up with and attitude. Geesh, you would think I was waited on by the Queen of England. Back to the Luxor... Casino was nice, guests and staff all friendly, and a pretty good room rate... no real complaints other than checking in. Probably same in other high-volume hotels. Its Vegas!!!

Room Tip: I don't like buffets and Sysco Food, so I went to local restaurants off the strip.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Great place to stay. A little far from the center of attraction. Great rewards program, staff, and food. The beds were amazing!! Overall service was good. Plenty to do. Didn't see any shows at the Luxor this time, but heard they were great.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I booked the room even though some of the reviews here are not great because I wanted to stay in the pyramid. There was a line for check in at 4 PM, but with plenty of staff on hand, it took no more than 5 minutes to get my room key card. I was very happy with my pyramid room. The furniture looked new and the room was very clean. Wired internet included in the mandatory "resort" worked well. I also used several of the coupons given to me at checkin - free drink, buy one -get one drink, $3 off several of the buffets, and discounts on the shows just to name a few. I was asked for an email address on checkin and received an email that let me check out using the web. I have stayed at several hotels on the strip, but this is now my favorite.