“Downtown Las Vegas is a whole different experience from the Strip”

Fremont Hotel and Casino
Ranked #105 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I love the Strip, but you gotta experience Downtown Las Vegas. It's really a whole different vibe, but lots of fun. The Fremont Hotel and Casino is old, but the rooms have been updated and it was a lot better than I was expecting. Guests visiting from Hawaii especially love the Downtown hotels. Right out the casino door, you're under the Fremont Experience, with its hourly night time overhead show, great music, zipline rides and crazy exhibitionists vying for the crowd's attention. When you get tired of all that, you step right back into the casino and drop those coins. I had a great time!

Room Tip: You need to specify non-smoking, if that's what you want. Higher floors have a great view of th...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Rick V
Write a ReviewReviews (1,108)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Location on Fremont street is excellent. The rooms are small but clean and comfortable. My room on the top floor facing away from Fremont Street was quiet - others may not be so ask for a quiet room if that is important to you. This is a Boyd property and they take care of their players so even low rollers will get free rooms, meals etc. . . . If you like to gamble but don't have a large bankroll then consider staying and playing here. With some $3 tables but almost always $5 tables for craps and Blackjack.They have a solid seafood buffet on Friday nights with crablegs, crawfish, shrimp, old bay shrimp, and lots more. The buffet is decent anytime and one of the better ones downtown. They also have a Tony Roma's Prime Rib place with dining specials, and a food court. No self parking here - only Valet, which is free with a tip when you pick up the car. This is a great downtown hotel for the average joe, just keep in mind you get your coffee from Dunkin Donuts here - not Starbucks. If you need a Starbucks in your life then go across the street to the Golden Nugget.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank johnnylawless
Reviewed April 8, 2013

room was nice, if you had a problem they would take care of it quickly.
room were decent and clean.
you could sleep easily for there was no problem with the noise.
staff was friendly. great location, it is in the heart of everything. has 3 restaurants,

Room Tip: located in the heart of fremont, close to everything.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is right in the middle of downtown Las Vegas. The down side is that it is noisy from all the activity on Fremont street. They don't have self parking, but the free valet service was good. There aren't coffee makers in the rooms and there is no room service. The room was clean and well maintained.

Room Tip: My best advice is that unless you don't like upper rooms, get as high above Fremont street as yo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank egregclark
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We cut our strip vacation short to stay in downtown Vegas for a change. We probably won't do that again but it was an experience. The Fremont is affiliated with a local casino where we live so we had a few free nights and we are grateful for the opportunity to experience downtown.

The Fremont rooms are quite small and the bathrooms are super super small. If you don't plan on staying in your room that much, it should be no problem. We were in Vegas for six nights so we had a lot of luggage which took up a ton of space at Fremont.

the room was clean, the sheets were clean but the towels were stale. They were cigarette and sour smelling and I hated wiping my face with them. Otherwise the two-night stay was fine. We probably won't stay downtown again - it's a different crowd for sure. A lot different than our visit in 2009 - seemed like a lot more vagrants which was sad.

The Fremont casino was small too but my husband had fun playing roulette - he said the smaller atmosphere was nice. I couldn't stand the smokiness of the casino - I couldn't even stand to walk through it to go to the buffet for breakfast, it made me sick to my stomach and I felt like I smelled like that the rest of the day.

All in all it was a good couple of days besides the smoke and towels.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank apratt0905
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed Jan 16th for one night and was upgraded to a suite without requesting. Had stayed here twice previously and quite pleased. ALWAYS NICE STAFF, especially front desk and housekeeping. Coffeemakers provided free upon request at check-in, rooms are smaller but quite sleek and comfortable. Excellent views from any angle, amazing access to Fremont Street from south elevators (just a few steps and you're outside) and the toiletries they provide are high quality and smell excellent. Just booked another 4-nighter for July 4th.

Room Tip: If bothered by outdoor noise, ask for rooms away from Fremont on higher floors. They are eager to p...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Sammasseur
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is for the Casino only. I have a weakness, it's called slot machines. Luckily it only comes over me a few days a year. Anyway, this review is for the slots at the Fremont Casino. I thought they were very fair. I don't expect to win (in the end), I just like to play for a long time without running out of money. And I did exactly that at the Fremont for several days (oh, heaven). Also, I saw several people who (unlike me) are not cheapskates, and who will bet at least several dollars a spin, and they won big jackpots, like $900, $240, $625. I'm too cheap to play those machines (the way they need to be played, lots of lines covered) but I've never seen multiple people hitting jackpots before, and I saw this at the Fremont. Be sure to get a player's card and they'll give you free lunch or dinner. The cocktail waitresses are very good, they come around maybe every 20 minutes. The casino has a good vibe, the place has high energy, lots of low limit table games. A different crowd than at the Bellagio (beautiful hotel, be sure to see it) out on the strip, but frankly, I lose my gambling budget so quickly there, I hardly have time to sit down. Anyway, the Fremont also has a Tony Roma's that serves incredible deals. I also gambled at a number of the other casinos downtown, didn't do at all well at Binions or the Main Street (which is a beautiful casino, and has a great buffet). The Golden Nugget slots were okay. Not great, but fair.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends