“Old Vegas at it's best(ish)”

Fremont Hotel and Casino
Ranked #107 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Wylie, Texas
“Old Vegas at it's best(ish)”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed here twice, once in April of 2010 and again in July of 2012. The hotel's location is second to none in all of Vegas - across Fremont from the 4 Queens, Casino Center from Binions, and catty-corner to the Golden Nugget, with Fremont Street offshoots like the Gold Spike and El Cortez in easy walking distance. The hotel was built in 1956 (at the time it was the tallest building in Nevada at 13 stories) and it shows - the rooms are tiny, with not a lot of maneuvering room around the bed. The only open flat surfaces to store your stuff are the dresser/TV cabinet, a miniscule round table, the luggage rack, and the nightstands. There's also a distinct lack of power outlets except for the one the TV and bedside clock are plugged into. The bathroom is the size of a walk-in closet, and I had to shut the door to use the commode. The only real issues I had were with the antique air conditioner that struggled to keep my room below 80 during a brutally hot July day in Nevada and the wooden window shutters that only kept out about 65% of the daylight. FYI - the hotel is valet parking only. I circled the block three times looking for the non-existent self-park.

Room Tip: Pick a room away from Fremont Street - but you'll have to walk the whole length of the building...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank msr015100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Korean first
Honolulu
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here the week of New Year's and had a nice time. The room and bathroom were small but the decor appeared to have been upgraded within the past few years so it was nice and cozy. Great for singles or couples. No free Wi-Fi or refrigerator (though I heard you may request one). It was very clean and the housekeepers were friendly. Security is fantastic-I got a call on my room phone telling me that I didn't close my door all the way and if everything was okay. The location is best-in the heart of downtown next to the Fremont Street Experience and the express bus stop directly to the Strip. The Paradise Buffet has a comfortable atmosphere with dim lighting and most seating on cushioned benches. And the wait was never too long. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank WLeeHI
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed 3 nights on the strip and then came downtown for 3 nights. This was the first time downtown and we really enjoyed ourselves. The Fremont was quite the change from the Luxor, however, the room was clean and we were comfortable. The TV did not work right and it was fixed promptly. We received a few coupons which came in very handy. Had an issue with the $10 of free slot play and the Player's Club staff were more than helpful with resolving. Picked up a free shuttle to Sam's Town right by the lobby. The buffet was very good and loved the atmosphere.

3 Thank Sandra M
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Went here for NYE vacation. The staff is really really nice. However, the rooms are VERY SMALL, no fridge, ice machines are only at one end of a VERY LONG HALLWAY. It said on the website that everything had been updated however the paint in bathroom was chipping, when I turned on the bathroom faucet the faucet handle came off. Since we would be out exploring most the time, it didn't really matter. The only two really BIG complaints I have is our room was a view of Casino Center (ave?) right across from binions where the cabs line up. At 3am cabs were honking and laying on their horns for close to 45 seconds at a time for some reason. Woke us up and was extremely irritating. the other complaint is that the doors slam shut. so everytime someone went in/out of room you would know it. on the plus side we loved the fremont experience!

2 Thank tashmahal77
Deep in the hot of Texas
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I had stayed here once before but several years ago. They had a great special going for the three days I was going to be there ($29 a night, including a Friday and Saturday) so I decided to give them another try.

I was very pleased with my stay. Check in was quick and friendly, which was nice because I'd spent all day traveling and I was beat. They accomodated what I had asked for--a room on a higher floor (I was put on the 6th floor) near the elevator.

The room was small, although not overly so by Vegas standards. There was a large flat screen TV, a small bureau, a small table with a couple of chairs, 2 night stands, and 3 lamps. They have shutters over the windows instead of curtains. Some people have reported a problem with light coming through in the mornings, making it hard to sleep late, but I use a sleep mask so it wasn't a problem for me. I wasn't bothered by noise from the street. The AC worked well.

I had a king bed. It was a little harder than I like but I tend to like a soft bed. I was comfortable and had no trouble sleeping on this one.It had 3 large pillows with good firmness.

The bathroom is small, although it was bigger than the last time I had stayed there. The toilet is kind of crammed into a corner and the handle is a little awkward to reach but it worked fine. The amenities were pretty much the standard ones, although they had a couple of things that I liked better than those at most hotels.

For one, there was a shower cap which is something I find handy and most places (at least those on my budget) don't provide. The other was that they had separate bottles of shampoo and conditioner rather than the usual combination bottle. I have fine hair and it doesn't do well with the combo. The counter space on the sink was decent and plenty for my needs.

The biggest thing I'd take points off for is the shower. The hot water was great but the water pressure not so much. It was fine for showering but I would have had trouble adequately rinsing out my hair, especially since the shower head is located oddly low. I'm only about 5'5 and I would have had to duck my head to get it under the nozzle.

I liked their casino a lot. I'm a slots player so I can't say anyting about the table games but they had a good variety of machines. I found it less confusing to try to find my way around in there than in most casinos. The location of the hotel is right in the middle of Fremont Street and pretty convenient for everywhere there.

All the staff I dealt with during my stay were polite, helpful, and friendly. I was not as impressed with the web site. At one point before my trip, I emailed them with a question and never did get a reply.

I would definitely recommend the Fremont to anyone looking for a decent low budget hotel downtown and would be glad to stay there again in the future. While I got my room on an onlne special, their regular prices are quite reasonable and even lower if you're a member of their players club. I don't even qualify as a low roller and I can get offers for a room there for under $40.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank SpinyNorma
Orangeville, Canada
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just got back from staynig at the Fremont Hotel and Casino for NewYears Eve Rooms were very small but big enough to deal with for the amount of time we were in the room.It was very noisy we were on the 14th floor and we still could hear the live music on Fremont Street until 2-3 am as if it was outside our window brutal . The Casino was very smokey and made me choke a few times just walking through it love smelling like an ashtray when I don,t even smoke!.Couldn't gamble there because of the smell of smoke a smokers dream.The Pardise buffet was not bad for the price and the Second Street Grill was very good ,but to stay there again wouldn't consider it . Just across the street is the Golden Nugget amazing they have renovated and this hotel I would definetly stay at couldn't smell any smoke at all clearly a better ventilating system.

Room Tip: If you are a smoker OK place to stay very noisy rooms need better sound proof windows maybe that mi...
3 Thank Nina499283
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Customer Service at Fremont Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
We appreciate your very candid response a few things we are continually addressing at the property. The sights and sounds of the Fremont Street Experience combined with the energy and excitement of our casino, provide a complete experience that we hope everyone can enjoy, but we do however acknowledge that this is not always the case. We also realize that the casino environment is not smoke free in the State of Nevada at this time but many people that don't smoke might have a low tolerance for any smoke. We do offer non-smoking rooms and smoking is not allowed in any of our meeting and food areas. We will continue to monitor and address the fact that although we allow smoking on the casino floor that we keep the smoke to a safe and minimal level for everyone. Your comments have been forwarded to our Operations Manager and General Manager. Again, thank you for your review. We know you have many choices for places to stay and hope you will give us another try.

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

vancouver
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Husband and i returned from a 5 night stay in vegas last week. we did not stay at the Freemont but it is one of our favorite places to hang out! we like to hang out at the casino bars, the bartenders are always fun and friendly. the freemont bars have 2 dollar coronas and heinekins, .99 cent margaritas and 2 dollar jager shots, which i have never seen anywhere else! and jager is hubbys fave so scooore! Red bull 3.50 no big! i love to sit at bar and play blackjack, good place to watch football too! just remember to tip bartenders well, they work hard and deal with alot of people who walk up and put money in machine get comp drink then cash out! we usually play for a couple hours have a great time and donate our cash back!, but the service is what really keeps us playing! The bartenders at the freemont are the best weve encountered downtown! We will be back in April!! Cant wait!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple