“Excellent stay at the El Cortez”

El Cortez Hotel & Casino
Ranked #90 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed February 18, 2007

Plaza vs El Cortez? After seeing the reviews and the recommendations.......we chose the El. 2/8-2/12
3pm check in time, but earlier check in was no problem.
We had a great room (tower) with double queen beds on the 12th floor (Rm 1207) facing the strip. With our 2-4-1 coupon found in the American Casino Guide (a must to buy, but check the book when you receive it in case there are missing coupon pages if you buy thru Amazon or E-bay) and our meager slot play return, we payed $277.20 for 5 nights for a fantastic stay.
Soda and ice machines on each floor. Don't put their Vegas tap water in a water bottle to save $ from buying high cost water on Fremont St or the strip. Tap water tastes horrid but suitable to brush your teeth with.
Front desk clerks were sooo nice and very helpfull. They had lost our information on our stay, so thankfully I had brought a copy of our confirmation that was done thru their web site.
I recommend that everyone print it out and bring it.
We asked for a fridge, which was rolled in on a nice size cart that we were able to set up our own one cup coffee maker on top of. My husband loved that . Also the love seat with coffee table which he loved relaxing on after a long day of walking. The t.v was a bigger than what we saw in the other reviewers pictures and worked great with lots of channels. Again, nice to relax to for the short time spent in the room.
Plenty of super hot water, great water pressure (even during peak usage times) and tub drained quickly. No water backed up.
The bathroom and large window in the room opened up (4 inches) for ventilation. The beds were soooo comfy & very clean. The curtains darkened the room so we never knew what time it was in the a.m. Housekeeping never bothered us in the morning when we had the "do not disturb" sign on the door. Great!!
We were there 5 nights (including weekend) and thought we had the whole floor to ourselves because we only ran across two people in the hall on our last night. Very quiet rooms.
The rooms (rugs, furniture, walls etc) were spotless and believe me, I checked under the mattress for the creepy-crawley things that were found, with pictures to prove it from other reviewers, in nice places like the Bellagio (mice) and the Luxor (bed bugs). Nothing to report!!! yea!!!
In case you forget them, they provide shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash & hand soap.
I tipped Housekeeping a couple of dollars each day, which I left on the bed with a note so they would know it was for them, and left them more on our last day. Please show them your appreciation. I also left them some 2-4-1 coupons that I had leftover from other downtown buffets which I'm sure they could use because they weren't just for players with cards. We won't be back for another year so no use to us.
Feeling safe in the casino and area? Yes....for sure. They had security walking around and I played slots by myself until 3am while my husband retired back to the room to sleep. They also had security on the corner of Fremont & 6th Ave to watch the walkers coming back from the FSE. This is also the corner that we had to wait for our Grayline shuttle back to the airport, so we felt very safe. He actually seemed to know the regulars that were coming and going and everyone was very respectfull. We did Grayline ($14 pp) round trip because we didn't know at the time of our flight booking that the El also provides shuttles. If you use the El's shuttle, please make your rez with them as they request? They're not mind readers and need to know ahead of time of your needs to get you there in plenty of time to get thru the airports security.
There's a "lot" of constuction going on in that area because the El is fixing up their front door entrance. The road is being torn up, I'm assuming because of the new Streamline condo's needs for bigger water/sewer lines. This shouldn't stop you for going to the El as the strip is also always seeing a lot of construction and it's just a fact of life in Vegas.
The gift shop is open 24 hrs with munchies to buy to enjoy before bed. After doing that at 3am every morning, the security at the elevator got to know that I was done for the night and wished me a pleasant beddy-bye and never said "don't let the bed-bugs-bite"
LOL.
Sorry to say I can't comment on the food other than the breakfast buffet. You'll have to find those reviews with the others. The breakfast buffet is o.k. How can they mess up scrambled eggs, sausage, cinnamon rolls and coffee anyway. Our needs are just basic for the a.m........ "don't stop the coffee refills!!!"
Plenty of different denominations on the slot machines with a lot of the old favorites and new ones.
Yes.....even the penny "Cashman".
They were by far, looser and more available (less people) than the strip but not as loose as the "Fremont Casino". One bonus round on a Fremont Cashman gave me $252. Sorry, my secret as to which one. LOL!! More hits on other machines but I won't go into them as this is a review about the El.
Sorry again that I can't comment on the card tables, but other reviewers have written about them. Low bets etc.
The Duece ($5 for a 24 hr pass and also good on all CAT buses if going to casinos off the strip...Rio etc) is a short one block walk from the El and FSE is a quick 2 block walk. If you ride the Duece and going to the Strip, enjoy the ride from the upper level. If you're 5'7" or taller, duck your head up there because that's how low the ceiling is. We enjoyd the sick humor of watching people, especially the men, smack their heads when they reached the top of the stairs before they realized the ceiling height.....even though there's a sign stating it. Very funny! LOL
I hope I covered everything that you might need to know about the El. I tried to talk about the things "I" might want to ask if I was going to try a new place and hopefully covered it all.
Go to the El, enjoy its comfort & super clean rooms, feel secure and save your $ for all of the other crazy things to see and do while in Vegas.
Rocky's Hun

Stayed: February 2007
24  Thank rockys-hun
Write a ReviewReviews (1,561)

Reviewed February 11, 2007

We just got back from the El Cortez - our first time staying here and first time staying downtown. The hotel is going through some renovations - the sports book was fantastic. The front desk staff was nice – I had read some posts about them not being friendly or knowledgeable, but we didn’t experience that. The room was nice – very clean and comfortable. We requested a non-smoking king room and that was what we received. However, the area surrounding the El was fairly undesirable. It was a two-block walk to the Fremont Experience and the first block was pretty shady. Just remember – this hotel is downtown. We live in Detroit, so we’re used to a shady downtown, but I was somewhat surprised by this in Vegas. I never felt unsafe, but I wouldn’t walk alone, even during the day. Also, a few of the dealers at El could barely count. It was okay for short periods, but we did the majority of our gambling elsewhere. The price of the room was fantastic, so if we wanted a cheap trip, we would stay here again. I think I would have rated this higher if I realized how different downtown was from the strip. If we were staying downtown, I would recommend the El – save some money on the room, cause in Vegas there are definitely more fun ways to spend that!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JSoDetroit
Reviewed February 4, 2007

This was my third stay at the El Cortez and it just gets better each time. The entire staff has always been wonderful to me and my friends during our stay. Roberta's has some of the best meals in Town. Very fair prices and fantastic service as well. Good gaming and very nice rooms. I look forward to my next vacation and another stop at the El Cortez.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank cb22
Reviewed January 24, 2007

We booked this hotel because we wanted something cheap and closed to the airport (within 15 minute drive). We were using the room to catch 5-6 hours sleep before our flight left the next morning.

We arrived from Hawaii at midnight and got to the hotel shortly after that, to be told that there computer systems had been down all day and they had manually check in and check out guests and that needed to set aside and wait a while before they could determine if they had any rooms available for us.

My hushand threw a fit and told the girl we needed a room to catch a few hours sleep before we checked out the next morning at 6am. Finally, they gave us a room key. It was 1:00 by then - Needless to say I got 4 hours sleep that night.

Room itself was just okay.
THEY DO NOT HAVE A HAIR DRYER ON THE WALL - so you'll need to call housekeeping and they bring a regular one up to your room. Bathroom is very, very small compared to other hotel rooms.

Bed was comfortable. Decor was a little out of date but that really didn't concern us too much.

Stayed: January 2007
2  Thank Jenn123444
Reviewed January 16, 2007

If you're looking for fountains and volcanos, this isn't your hotel. Go to the Strip and spend $$$.
If you're looking for a nice, clean, large (except the bathroom) room at a great price and don't need your hand held, look no further. The ElCo Tower rooms are for you.
This place is a classic. Very "old school" with great personality. Not that it's worn and run down, it's not. In fact the property is very clean and well maintained, with great service from employees who care. One thing that impressed me when talking to the employees is many have been there for 20 or more years. (except the dealers)
Ahhh the dealers. Craps is geat with low minimums, but the 21 dealers were recent grads of Joe Blow's Dealers Academy looking to refine their "skills" and move up to the Wynn. (Good Luck)
In short. If you are looking to stay Downtown with easy access to the Duece bus and the rest of Fremont (without the noise) for a great price, (we paid $25 per night) then do yourself a favor and give the ElCo a try. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
10  Thank DrVegas
Reviewed December 7, 2006

This is the Best 2 star Hotel in las Vegas! I have stayed at most and this is above the rest! Cheap rooms, good eats, and easy comps. Large rooms with lots of nice cherrywood furniture.( not the average motel fiberboard junk) big comfortable beds. Employees glad to help without an attitude. Yes it is in a low class part of town, 1 block from the Fremont Street Expierence, but at night there is a security guard on the corner. I could not have found a better place to stay! Had a king room on the 10th floor, with view of the strip. Cost me 19.00! Look forward to going to Vegas and staying were again!!!!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled solo
6  Thank Secondcrk
Reviewed October 15, 2006

Hi My fiance and i stayed at the Cortez and loved it. I stayed there in the past and told her that its the place to stay. We got a room in the tower and was amazed by how big it was. The bed was soo comfy that I didnt want to get up in the morning. We got married and had our honeymoon there. We visited other Casino/Hotels on the strip and liked the bones( elevators, bathrooms, people, valet etc) more that the pricy ones. The valet did an awesome job of taking care of my car. The one big thing about the Cortez is that you can leave all of the hustle and noise of the strip and have a peaceful/romantic stay in Vegas. A great place to eat is Kittys cafe. the food is great and priced right. My wife loved everything about the Cortez. The part I loved the most was the thought that I was staying in a place where some of the stars in the 50s probably stayed. The Cortez is awesome.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple