“What an experience”

El Cortez Hotel & Casino
Ranked #88 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed January 24, 2007

We booked this hotel because we wanted something cheap and closed to the airport (within 15 minute drive). We were using the room to catch 5-6 hours sleep before our flight left the next morning.

We arrived from Hawaii at midnight and got to the hotel shortly after that, to be told that there computer systems had been down all day and they had manually check in and check out guests and that needed to set aside and wait a while before they could determine if they had any rooms available for us.

My hushand threw a fit and told the girl we needed a room to catch a few hours sleep before we checked out the next morning at 6am. Finally, they gave us a room key. It was 1:00 by then - Needless to say I got 4 hours sleep that night.

Room itself was just okay.
THEY DO NOT HAVE A HAIR DRYER ON THE WALL - so you'll need to call housekeeping and they bring a regular one up to your room. Bathroom is very, very small compared to other hotel rooms.

Bed was comfortable. Decor was a little out of date but that really didn't concern us too much.

Stayed: January 2007
2  Thank Jenn123444
Write a ReviewReviews (1,581)

Reviewed January 16, 2007

If you're looking for fountains and volcanos, this isn't your hotel. Go to the Strip and spend $$$.
If you're looking for a nice, clean, large (except the bathroom) room at a great price and don't need your hand held, look no further. The ElCo Tower rooms are for you.
This place is a classic. Very "old school" with great personality. Not that it's worn and run down, it's not. In fact the property is very clean and well maintained, with great service from employees who care. One thing that impressed me when talking to the employees is many have been there for 20 or more years. (except the dealers)
Ahhh the dealers. Craps is geat with low minimums, but the 21 dealers were recent grads of Joe Blow's Dealers Academy looking to refine their "skills" and move up to the Wynn. (Good Luck)
In short. If you are looking to stay Downtown with easy access to the Duece bus and the rest of Fremont (without the noise) for a great price, (we paid $25 per night) then do yourself a favor and give the ElCo a try. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
10  Thank DrVegas
Reviewed December 7, 2006

This is the Best 2 star Hotel in las Vegas! I have stayed at most and this is above the rest! Cheap rooms, good eats, and easy comps. Large rooms with lots of nice cherrywood furniture.( not the average motel fiberboard junk) big comfortable beds. Employees glad to help without an attitude. Yes it is in a low class part of town, 1 block from the Fremont Street Expierence, but at night there is a security guard on the corner. I could not have found a better place to stay! Had a king room on the 10th floor, with view of the strip. Cost me 19.00! Look forward to going to Vegas and staying were again!!!!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled solo
6  Thank Secondcrk
Reviewed October 15, 2006

Hi My fiance and i stayed at the Cortez and loved it. I stayed there in the past and told her that its the place to stay. We got a room in the tower and was amazed by how big it was. The bed was soo comfy that I didnt want to get up in the morning. We got married and had our honeymoon there. We visited other Casino/Hotels on the strip and liked the bones( elevators, bathrooms, people, valet etc) more that the pricy ones. The valet did an awesome job of taking care of my car. The one big thing about the Cortez is that you can leave all of the hustle and noise of the strip and have a peaceful/romantic stay in Vegas. A great place to eat is Kittys cafe. the food is great and priced right. My wife loved everything about the Cortez. The part I loved the most was the thought that I was staying in a place where some of the stars in the 50s probably stayed. The Cortez is awesome.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
14  Thank mpottspeoria
Reviewed October 11, 2006

The El Cortez gave me a glimpse of glamour and charm that Las Vegas must have had in its early days. My room at the El Cortez was beautiful, with antique leather-topped mahogany furnishings, a great sitting area with a very confortable sofa and arm-chair.

The room was surprisingly large, very clean and well maintained. All of the staff were courteous, helpful, and very friendly. The food in the hotels restaurants was so good and reasonably priced, that I ate all of my meals there. I met many locals who are regular customers in the hotel restaurants, which speaks very favorably for the food and the prices. The El Cortez is 2 short blocks to the Fremont Street Experience, which I walked by myself many times during my 4-day stay without any problems. The bus-stop was one block away so I bought the 24-hour Deuce pass each day and traveled up and down the strip many, many times. I will recommend the El Cortez to everyone I know.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled solo
10  Thank CaddyGal
Reviewed October 10, 2006

This is a fantastic place to stay. Some of the reviews I read scared the daylights out of me. My room was very clean. There were only small issues:
1) No in-room safe
2) Thermostat hard to read
3) Bathroom is small (but seriously, how much time does one spend in the bathroom anyway?)
4) No weather channel

What they give you: shampoo, lotion and mouthwash. Also, the bars of soap are big compared to most hotels. I had read and asked about wireless internet and was told it was only available in the lobby. Funny, I had full scale signal in my room (cheetanetworks) and there was a button on the webpage for 30 free minutes.
If you want a great room for a great price, stay here! No water pressure problems and plenty of hot water.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
9  Thank Parnelli_Jones
Reviewed October 5, 2006

What a diamond in the rough!! But make sure you stay in the 'Tower' rooms! Very good deals and an ok casino where you can really win! We always have a wonderful time coming to the El Cortez, the only negative is the front desk, not very friendly or knowlegeable. If this was changed and they became more hospitiable they would rule the strip!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple