“The best Hotel in Vegas”

El Cortez Hotel & Casino
Ranked #90 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Peoria
“The best Hotel in Vegas”
Reviewed October 15, 2006

Hi My fiance and i stayed at the Cortez and loved it. I stayed there in the past and told her that its the place to stay. We got a room in the tower and was amazed by how big it was. The bed was soo comfy that I didnt want to get up in the morning. We got married and had our honeymoon there. We visited other Casino/Hotels on the strip and liked the bones( elevators, bathrooms, people, valet etc) more that the pricy ones. The valet did an awesome job of taking care of my car. The one big thing about the Cortez is that you can leave all of the hustle and noise of the strip and have a peaceful/romantic stay in Vegas. A great place to eat is Kittys cafe. the food is great and priced right. My wife loved everything about the Cortez. The part I loved the most was the thought that I was staying in a place where some of the stars in the 50s probably stayed. The Cortez is awesome.

• Liked — The valet parking guys. A great and courtious bunch of guys.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Use the valet parking and tip good.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
14 Thank mpottspeoria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
Woodbury, MN
Reviewed October 11, 2006

The El Cortez gave me a glimpse of glamour and charm that Las Vegas must have had in its early days. My room at the El Cortez was beautiful, with antique leather-topped mahogany furnishings, a great sitting area with a very confortable sofa and arm-chair.

The room was surprisingly large, very clean and well maintained. All of the staff were courteous, helpful, and very friendly. The food in the hotels restaurants was so good and reasonably priced, that I ate all of my meals there. I met many locals who are regular customers in the hotel restaurants, which speaks very favorably for the food and the prices. The El Cortez is 2 short blocks to the Fremont Street Experience, which I walked by myself many times during my 4-day stay without any problems. The bus-stop was one block away so I bought the 24-hour Deuce pass each day and traveled up and down the strip many, many times. I will recommend the El Cortez to everyone I know.

• Liked — Atmosphere - quaint and charming
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Mid-week rates exceptionally low
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled solo
10 Thank CaddyGal
Somewhere in East TN
Reviewed October 10, 2006

This is a fantastic place to stay. Some of the reviews I read scared the daylights out of me. My room was very clean. There were only small issues:
1) No in-room safe
2) Thermostat hard to read
3) Bathroom is small (but seriously, how much time does one spend in the bathroom anyway?)
4) No weather channel

What they give you: shampoo, lotion and mouthwash. Also, the bars of soap are big compared to most hotels. I had read and asked about wireless internet and was told it was only available in the lobby. Funny, I had full scale signal in my room (cheetanetworks) and there was a button on the webpage for 30 free minutes.
If you want a great room for a great price, stay here! No water pressure problems and plenty of hot water.

• Liked — Size of room
  • Disliked — Thermostat hard to read
  • Tips/Secrets — This hotel has an "older" crowd.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
9 Thank Parnelli_Jones
Arizona
Reviewed October 5, 2006

What a diamond in the rough!! But make sure you stay in the 'Tower' rooms! Very good deals and an ok casino where you can really win! We always have a wonderful time coming to the El Cortez, the only negative is the front desk, not very friendly or knowlegeable. If this was changed and they became more hospitiable they would rule the strip!

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Smileygirl1178
US
Reviewed September 18, 2006

I stayed Friday and Saturday in a Pavillion room. From the previous reviews, I had expected a seedy dive. Well, that was NOT the case. The rooms in the Pavillion are like motel rooms with outside entrances. I was on the 5th floor. The rooms were clean, the towels were big and soft, and the beds were comfy. The TV was unimportant because who goes to Vegas to watch TV. The hotel is within walking distance of Fremont street where I spent most of my time. Played slots and actually left with more money than I arrived with. Also, had a wonderful dinner at Roberta's. It's a bit pricey, but worth it. When I departed, the bell man helped me load my luggage and the front desk arranged an airport shuttle. Overall, I LOVED the El Cortez and will stay there again my next trip.

• Liked — Close to Fremont Street
  • Disliked — Loud toilet
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to the Mexican restaurant across the street - the food is cheap and very good.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
9 Thank Skaterbabe
santa monica
Reviewed August 26, 2006

For $30 bucks a night- you pretty much get what you pay for. This my experience at El Cortez:
I had reserved a non-smoking room, and they gave me the opposite.
I had put the DO NOT DISTURB sign outside my door, and three hours into my stay, a maintenance man knocks on my door telling me that he had to fix the bathtub because it was not draining properly and the faucet was leaking.
I got hungry, and thought I'd try their Chinese Buffet downstairs... it was the worst chinese food I've ever had. Worst than those fast food chinese places in your neighborhood.
The location itself is pretty ghetto and slummy. And the hotel was kinda dirty.

But like I said, you kinda expect these things when you're paying bargain basement price.

Stayed July 2006
6 Thank joepaul

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2006

Booked a two night stay on the El Cortez website at $30.00 a night prepaid with taxes it was about $65.00 total. The room was on the top floor of the parking garage, there were about 20 rooms on this floor. Absolutely nothing wrong with where the room was. It was quiet, comfortable and clean. Check-in was at 2:30pm and since I was early, I did have to wait. Front desk staff was pleasant and check-in easy. This is a old hotel, and the lobby and gaming area look it. Again, its ok for the price, in fact there was a promtion going on at the time, any guest staying in July or August was offered two free nights in Sept. I was not able to take advantage of this. The only low point was going to the bufett breakfast in the morning, $5.99, and it was like I would imagine going to a Salvation Army mission, or a bread line for the homeless. It was very poor, at least in my opinion, but again the bottom line, you get what you pay for. I would certainly stay here again, it is downtown, on Fremont St. and two blocks from the Fremont Experience mall.

11 Thank yvr1