“Much more than you pay for”

El Cortez Hotel & Casino
Ranked #95 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
ALEXANDRIA
“Much more than you pay for”
Reviewed July 5, 2005

Wow, I was really impressed with this place. I visited the casino in Nov 2004 and received a room offer with a weekend rate of $35. I took them up on that and was really glad I did. Just the casino alone has been cleaned up and refurbished since my last visit. I hadn't seen the rooms before, but I was VERY pleased. The room was HUGE (I had a tower king room). The check in clerk was very nice, checked us in early around 11am, and offered us a strip view (which we took and was very nice).

The room had obviously been recently remodeled. The bathroom was a little small but not uncomfortable. There was the bedroom area and a semi seperate sitting area. This room was easily worth twice what I paid for it, especially for a weekend in Vegas. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2005
13 Thank HABAlexandria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed June 14, 2005

My husband and I stayed June 4th and 5th at the El Cortez. Our room was neat and decorated very nicely. We loved playin at the casino and I actually won$2800.00. on the second night there playing keno. For Friday and Sat. nights, you can't beat the price and it keeps us away from the crowded strip on the weekend. We will definitely stay there again!

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Elk Grove, CA
Reviewed June 5, 2005

The El Cortez Hotel in Vegas is a great little hidden gem as long as you know what to ask for and as long as you know where you are in the neighborhood. The hotel has a great old school feel to the lobby and casino. Plenty of different slots, video poker and some basic tables... If you are staying in the main part of the hotel, not the motel house, or the extension, but the recently upgraded rooms, then you are in for a treat. The rooms are excellent. Great, tasteful and clean... the bathroom still maintains an old 70's look, and it almost feels like you are in a submarine since the enclosure comes up and over your head. Other than that the deal is incredible and hard to beat. The cost for those rooms are next to nothing compared to some less than respectable hotels on the strip. Just keep in mind, you are located well off the strip and a few blocks from fremont experience. Some say its just a short walk, but its what you have to walk through to get there. The neighborhood is not the safest nor is it the cleanest. I am a single man in my 30's and would not dare walk the dark street to get to fremont experience. I preferred to stay at the El Cortez. Last note, food is just ok, stay away from the steak, and they don't serve to-go orders yet...

11 Thank LapuLapu
USA
Reviewed May 28, 2005

We stayed here on the Friday and Sat night of our trip when the rooms on the strip were more than we were wanting to pay. We went in with low expectations and they were exceeded the rooms are basic but clean. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful we were pleasently surprised the only complaints we had was the water in the shower was tempermental going from icy to scalding without touching it. The service at careful kittys was poor also the busgirl got our tip as she did most of our serving. Metting the owner of the casino was excing to me his hidey ho how ya doin made my day.

• Stayed May 2005
9 Thank vicbodine
Reviewed May 7, 2005

Stayed at the El Cortez April 30 through May 2. Here's the rundown:

Although the front desk clerk was a tad cranky (in her defense, the front desk seems to be understaffed), she was quick and let us check in early. We got a room on the 14th floor (Room 1414), which was very large and clean. The bathrooms are tiny, but everything was clean and functional. Comfortable beds, and a very comfy loveseat to lounge on while checking out the view of the mountains. I also dug how the elevators to the rooms are right inside the casino - no hiking through 4 miles of hallways to get to your room. The three nights we were there were quiet. Maid service was efficient and thorough.

We only ate once at Careful Kitty's Cafe while we were there. Food was marginal - probably wouldn't eat there again. Didn't get a chance to try Roberta's.

I enjoyed the casino. Yes, it's a little rough around the edges, but that only added to its charm. Easy to navigate, and the cocktail staff was decent. I only play slots, and found a good variety to choose from. While I didn't hit anything big at the Cortez, the slots are much looser than those on the Strip. The clientele is mostly middle-aged, blue collar, and low-key. There are a few "character" types there, but I found them much less annoying than the look-at-me people and hoardes of college kids learning how to drink at the mega resorts. The casino in general had a relaxed vibe.

The location of the Cortez was outstanding - just maybe a half-block walk to the main Fremont Street scene. As for this being a "rough stretch" to walk down, I didn't think so at all. I did see a couple of working girls and a homeless person, but big deal! It's a city. Don't bother them and they won't bother you. (However, I would not recommend walking down Las Vegas Blvd. from downtown to the Strip. It didn't appear to be a war zone per se, but there were a lot of vacant lots, boarded up buildings and dealers. Take the bus or a taxi.) I loved how it was just a few steps from the hotel to the Fremont Street action with its plentiful and accessible variety of casinos, food, and shopping. I've always stayed on the Strip before, but the Cortez has converted me to a downtowner. My husband doesn't care for the Vegas thing at all, and even he had a good time.

All in all, I'd stay there again. If you're a low maintenance kind of person who wants somewhere clean, comfortable, and safe to stay and play, this is your scene. I'm looking forward to going back.

• Stayed May 2005
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 17, 2005

I really do like this hotel. Of course it isn't a super resort like Mandalay Bay or any of the other big strip hotels, but it's got that old Vegas charm which is what I like. It's very inexpensive. One of the times I stayed there I received a certificate to come back in a few months for free. It was like if you stayed two nights during a certain month, you could come back again for two nights for free in a few months.

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 31, 2005

We got a cheap price ($240 pp flight/hotel, 2nights, from cleveland). The rooms were very impressive! They were clean and updated, the furniture was very nice! we had stayed before at the Golden Nugget (which is very nie) and the Four Queens (which we did not enjoy at all). The El Cortez rooms were as nice as our Golden nugget room. The casino itself was sort of dingy, but we wanted $3 blackjack tables, and defiantely found them. The food in the hotel was decent, yet pricey for las vegas. We felt secure at the hotel. We defiantely would stay there again! As for the loose slots, we did not experience that, but others seemed to.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member