“Losing it's appeal”

Ranked #96 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Spokane, Washington
“Losing it's appeal”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Every year we leave the conference on the strip and check into the El Cortez for a few days to decompress.
We stay in the Pavillion (over parking garage) because we enjoy the fresh air and view.
Never again. There is a Container Park across the street that has a flame throwing grasshopper. All night the propane fired explosion goes off. It is LOUD and constant. (We loved that you can't hear the Freemont Steet noise from El Cortez.)
After six years, we'll be finding a new downtown hotel.

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Biblit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Pavillion Room facing 7th: Maid did not make up room on 2nd night even though we were out at 11:00. Maid failed to refill coffee and coffee cups on first night. Explosions from "Container Park" across the street kept us awake until 1 am on weekend arrival night. Someone's room service tray full of leftover food (think roaches) was left in front of room in aisle for 3 days and still had not been cleared when we vacated. A cockroach crawled across my video poker machine at the bar by the Pavillion elevators. Casino bathrooms out of soap on last night, and had limited soap on other nights. Shower alternated scalding hot with icy cold. Front desk was inexperienced or unable to field my request for a room away from street noise (such as explosions from "Container Park") and shrugged shoulders and rolled eyes when asked. Upon arrival, parking attendant told us to go to other garage before checking in...other garage attendant told us to live park at valet until checked in... obviously, parking staff is not well trained in procedures for newly arriving guests. Sheets tucked all around and when you pull them out, the matress becomes exposed on all sides

Room Tip: DO NOT stay in Pavillion Rooms!!! Stay in Tower or go elsewhere. BYO soap into the casino.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank George_stayed_here

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Reviewing the El Cort is a bit tricky, because we need to start from the acknowledgement that it's identity has long been as a bargain stop...we are never comparing to the Bellaggio. .Additionally, be aware that there is NO PHONY RESORT FEE tacked on...sadly, now unique in LAS. I booked their lowest rate on Hotels.com, a Vintage room for $21.00 at the time.. The only significant caution is that this area is accessible only by stairway...no elevators. That having been said, only minor concerns. Most importantly the room was clean and spacious, with two doubles or queens...can't remember, as I was on my own. Minor damage to one of the blackout curtain travel rods, so wouldn't pull open to let the sunshine in. No kind of table to set room service meals on. Two stuffed arm chairs, only one of which had a lamp nearby. Coffee
maker in the room...definite plus in LAS. Casino was adequate with many slots, major table games and comped drinks while playing. I quickly had half price meals on my players club card. Complimentary Lincoln Town Car airport shuttle is another plus.. Other reviews noted concerns with smoke and noise. I experienced none of this, but must say I was there Sun-Thurs. Nearby casino/hotels include Golden Spike and the new Downtown Grand. Slots seemed reasonably loose, as per conventional advice re:off-strip play and their own advertising. Single and double deck Black Jack is a big plus for many folks. Reasonably priced coffee shop/ restaurant with OK food, upscale steak house and Subway on premises. There may be other spots about as good for value, but I don't think any place else would beat the El Cortez in any significant way.

Room Tip: 2224 was adequate...no kind of view, but typical for the price...did get sun and blue sky, which was...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank FJBCleveland_Ohio
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I was looking forward to my stay at old world charm but cant say thats what it really was. Hotel definitely dated. I would probably not do this hotel again as I found no perks. I think you may be better off with one within fremont experience versus around the corner from the fremont experience. all hotel pretty close to each other and in some instance better beneficials for u. overall enjoyed my stay but I would probably go with something closer to entertainment. Did get a great deal on the room so it was definitely worth it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Tombstone, Az
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Stayed here for my Birthday this month. I had emailed them why we were coming and they gave us an upgrade which was very nice. The room was lovely, large and had all the needed amenities. They only thing I would have liked would be a warmer blanket. Husband likes it cooler so I froze and kept forgetting to ask for a blanket. Casino kept us happy, nothing big but no great losses. Only complaint was the woman bartender at the Lobby Bar. She was very rude to my husband. But it worked out well as we took our money, put it in a machine and tripled what I had lost at her bar. Too bad, she would have gotten a tip. We shall return, just won't use the Lobby Bar when she is working.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Been to Vegas few times but its my first time staying at El Cortez November 21-24, 2013.. I was attending a Fitness Event and needed a nice price :-) and El Cortez offered that. (I think my room was 409) not 100% sure.

However, upon arrival my check-in process was expeditious but the room they sent me had me feeling a bit weird. It was located in the building that's above the garage. VERY OLD ROOMS! only thing I could say was that once you're in there in was quiet. ANYWAY....I was almost scorched when I went to use the washroom to wash my face. it was only boiling hot water coming from the pipes. When I contacted the front desk they sent maintenance within minutes. The maintenance rep was courteous and very professional,. Realizing the issue couldn't be fixed he contacted the front desk and within minutes I was informed that I'm gonna transferred to the tower.

Shortly after, another rep was there to assist me with the move from that room to the tower room. I was very pleased with the rooms in the tower and even the hallways were better. The front desk staff was very helpful and thorough and thanks to the wonderful housekeeping crew as well.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms in the tower are great
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ryates2016
Montana
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We've been to Vegas many times and we were Fitzgerald's loyals until it became The D and lost some of its old Vegas charm. After our last trip, we will likely be El Cortez loyals. We reserved a Pavillion room but they were sold out by the time we arrived so we were automatically upgraded to a Cabana room.

The room was painted funky colors, but the bed was comfortable and clean, the walk in shower was relaxing, and the flat screen tv, refrigerator and free internet were great. The only complaint regarding the room is that the lighting is dim.

The El Cortez overall is quieter than other hotels in the area since it is offset from the Fremont Experience by about one block, and the Cabana rooms are quieter yet since they are on the far side of the El Cortez.

We ate most of our meals in the El Cortez's cafe, and the food was terrific, portions large, prices low, and good variety. All of the staff we interacted with were friendly and helpful. The location is conveniently within an easy walk to the Fremont Street Experience and an easy walk to restaurants, other casinos, Walgreen's, and public transportation. Catch "The Deuce" bus nearby to get to "the strip". The Deuce is currently $6 for 2 hours or $8 for 24 hours.

Room Tip: Cabana rooms/suites may be quieter than other rooms since the Cabana building is the furthest from t...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business