“good deal”

El Cortez Hotel & Casino
Ranked #87 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Nice guy shuttle driver...rooms for 21 bucks a night...I like the downtown location, as I am not a fan of what "the Strip" has become...a couple nice staff members, and a couple who were so surly and uninterested that it could've been an SNL skit (such as the lady in the gift shop)...can't go wrong for the price of the rooms...the Beat Coffeehouse across the street is a cool place to sit and read the paper while having coffee...sad that the nice little bar in the El Cortez has turned into a sports bar with big TVs, but that seems to be the trend everywhere...

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yodelman
There are newer reviews for El Cortez Hotel & Casino

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I went to El Cortez because of their great payback on gambling. The best rules in Vegas on single deck blackjack. Also, playing their slots you can tell they have a high payback percentage.

The hotel (and I was in an upgraded room) is Motel 6 quality. The beds are hard. NO comforter. Scuzzy.

Now for my real comment.. this place is devoid of any management. I can empathize with a lot.. have a very low threshhold when it comes to service people. I have very minimal expectations.

I've never had a situation.. at any place.. and I travel a lot where people were outright abusive.

I had a blackjack dealer (Li) that literally threw cards at people. Hitting your face and body. During this time she is mumbling.. thought she was having a meltdown. Ironically, was getting great cards. Myself and I complained to a casino boss (Pat). Pat seemed empathetic but incapable of doing anything.

I hate to generalize.. but it seems the Asian women blackjack dealers had no sense of customer service or basic human decency.

That said, there were two outstanding dealers.. Randi and Neil.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank William H
Reviewed December 26, 2013

If you are looking for a no frill hotel/casino but one that is clean and comfortable, the El Cortez is your bet. The staff was friendly, the room was dated but clean as was the hotel/casino. The on site restaurant had slow service but the food was very tasty and reasonable. It is down town and within walking distance to Fremont Street.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank cals503
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival a security guard didn't want to let us in the parking garage. He was standing out in the road sending people that are not hotel members away. He stopped me in the middle of the busy road and demanded that I show him my verification of reservation. Luckily I had an email in my phone. Then he let us through and yelled at us to wash our car! We had just driven 4 days to get there and in rain! He was very offensive. Next we checked in and went to our room. It was tiny, dingy, everything creaked, the window was uneven and had open cracks. The bed had been slept in and not remade, soap in bathroom was used, old hotel keys laying on the tiny table. This room obviously had not been cleaned. We went back down to the lobby and they insisted the room had been cleaned and they were sorry and would talk to housekeeping. Then they upgraded us to a nice big clean room. This is an old cheap hotel, I didn't expect anything fancy, but at least put me in a room where the sheets have been washed!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Aliciamariemartin
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I like the El Cortez because it is inexpensive and unpretentious -- not at all glitzy. My wife and I paid $126 plus tax for 2 nights in a spacious king bed room in the tower above the casino. (There are less expensive "classic" rooms in the original building, but there is no elevator access to many of these. Check the website.) There is no resort fee, but you will pay $11 per 24 hours if you want a wi-fi connection. The room was fine, with fridge and big screen TV, comfortable bed, and clean. Restaurant not so great, but lots of choices nearby. Casino features $1 table games ($2 on weekends/holidays). Easy one-block walk to the Fremont Street Experience, which was a fun evening. If you want to be dazzled the El Cortez is not for you, but I like it there.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RoadTripRoger
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I basically just need a bed for a couple of nights and didn't care about the room too much. What I got was tremendously positive surprise! Nice, clean room, and NO Resort Fees! Easy access to the freeway, $25 a night. I have stayed in nicer hotels not as nice as this experience. I even appreciated the smaller size of the casino and hotel because it was only a 3 minute walk to the car. The vintage rooms are 14x12 and there are no elevators. I didn't care about this at all, because the price was more important to me. I am very grateful that there is a safe low cost option to stay at. We even walked over to Freemont Street and watched all the street preformers. It was a great stay, and I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Park toward the south end of the garage so you don't have to walk through so much of the hotel...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JulianaSanMarcos
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Rating and review strictly for the casino, not the hotel (didn't stay there). Recent trip in Dec. 13.

If you have a low gambling budget, say less than a thousand for a weekend, and still want to have a good chance winning, El Cortez is THE choice to go - no one else in downtown and strip is even close to its offer. As far as I know, this is the only casino still offers single deck BJ without "special rules" attached. Lots of $5 tables and $3 crap available everyday. So from odds perspective, no other casino is better.

So why not 5 stars? Well there are two problems you need to be aware of. Personally I don't care either one that much, but if these are important to you, then keep in your mind:

Probably because of the superior odds offered, El Cortez attracts fair amount of self-claimed "pro" players. Mind you these are not the real pro-gamblers; rather, these are what I call "professional players of 5 dollar BJ". Anyway, the result is the casino crowd is a bit different from other places. You see more locals and "serious" players than tourists having fun, and occasionally you run into weirdos.

The other well known secret is some El Cortez dealers are young and inexperienced, sort of in their trainee stage. As a result, they make few honest mistakes here and there, take a bit longer to count the cards and chips etc. They are all nice and kind people, and trying their best to help the game, it's just experience.

Neither of these points bother me too much. When I stay at downtown, El Cortez is always where I play most games.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo