El Cortez Hotel & Casino
Vista Motel(Las Vegas)
Downtowner Motel(Las Vegas)
Alpine Motel(Las Vegas)
1,641 results
All reviewscabana suitestower roomvintage roomfremont streetcontainer parkold vegasfremont experiencesingle deck blackjackno elevatortwo blocksloose slotsdowntown vegasprime ribmob museummain buildingstay downtownthe deuce
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This hotel has history to it. Great clean spacious rooms with coffee & coffee pot in the rooms. Cream, sugar, cups & stirrers, too. Great location, walking distance to Old Vegas, just a few minutes away. Their restaurant is fabulous and was always loaded with people, the line went fast. We had the best prime rib, baked potato & vegetable dinner for only $7.95. It was so delicious, we went back a few days later. Great casino, clean rooms, perfect location, valet parking, friendly staff. Gift shop has everything you'd need in case you forgot to pack something.

6  Thank shelj56
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed at the El Cortez March 3rd through March 5th of this year (Sunday and Monday nights). This was probably my 7th stay over the past 10 years or so and, with one exception (the drinks service), the stay was satisfying as usual.

Check in was fast and friendly. This hotel has no resort fees, which is always a bonus in my book. I got a room on the 15th floor with a great view of the Strip and mountains. Note: You can no longer smoke in the tower rooms, which was kind of a drag (no pun intended) for an old ashtray like me, but certainly not a deal breaker. The room was clean overall, but the bathroom could have used a good re-grouting and re-caulking. The bed was very comfortable, and the linens were good quality and smelled of just the right amount of bleach. The tower rooms have a great little seating area, and a huge bonus is the coffee maker in the room, which is almost nonexistent in Vegas these days. Housekeeping was prompt and unobtrusive.

The casino, with its odd-yet-comforting citrus scent, was as expected. I only play slots, and I’d say they were at their usual degree of “looseness,” – not exactly generous, but much kinder than any other casinos throughout Vegas. I like how they still have a lot of the older machines there with lots of denomination varieties. The Players Club and cashiers cages were fast and friendly; no complaints there. The clientele was its usual mix of low-key tourists and quirky locals; I don’t have the energy or patience for the younger crowds just learning how to drink that you find infesting the Strip. I just want a safe, sane-yet-festive place to zone out and gamble, which the Cortez always provides. During my two days there, a couple of minor whackjobs were escorted out by the always present and efficient security team, but one expects that in any casino on any given day or night.

The only real irritation during my time at the Cortez was the drinks service. I realize that everyone is cutting back on staff these days, but it was ridiculous to be sitting at one machine for over two hours and donating a few hundred bucks to the casino gods and not have one server come by. Granted, once they did come by, the drinks came consistently (and yes, I tip well and often), but the trick was getting someone over there in the first place. The servers were all very polite and got the orders right every time, but there simply wasn’t ever enough of them on the floor. Incidentally, if you want rocket-fast drinks service, head over to Mermaids – they’ll have you tanked and gambling away your paycheck much more quickly.

I ate at the café twice during my stay. The food and service were decent; not disappointing but nothing to crow about either. I did find their late night menu to be pretty limited, and will make a point next time to either eat earlier or go somewhere else after 11 pm. I didn’t eat at the Flame this time, but did this past October, and it was spectacular then. The onsite convenience/gift store is small but does the job.

Checkout was fast and convenient, and I really appreciated their shuttle service back to the airport. Be sure to book this service upon check-in so that you’re ensured a spot.
I’ll definitely stay there again. The El Cortez is good old fashioned comfort food. Great rooms, great casino, and a hop away from all the other action downtown.

Room Tip: Tower rooms are probably the best value for cleanliness, lcoation, peace and quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Jennifer L
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We booked this thru a package deal with Southwest Airlines. I should have paid more for a better room. The room was clean but it was old and in need of updates. The TV was really bad. No hot water 2 out of 3 days of the stay. Most employees are foriegn speaking and not able to understand or speak english. It was noisey. We liked that downtown was making many improvement and upgrades but be careful where you stay.

Room Tip: Look for rooms in the tower.
2  Thank Allan B
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed here because we were visiting my son, and he lived nearby. We stayed in the vintage room because i thought it had decent reviews and it was cheap. I thought vintage referred to the way it was decorated, not that it hadn't been touched in 40 years. It smelled very smokey (as did the entire casino) and the furniture/fixtures were very old. The tv was ancient, and the remote didn't work at all. The ceiling was old tiles, and some were stained. It wasn't horrible, but not somewhere I'd stay again. The bathroom wasn't totally clean either. My son has stayed in the tower rooms and said they are much nicer. I do have to give them kudos for check in. It was the fastest we've ever checked in and the staff at that desk were friendly.

2  Thank toni07grantmi
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This past January made reservations at this old school spot.Stayed 7 days in the tower.Played poker in their small,limit only poker nitch.Not large enough to be called a room.Well run with a very veteran group of players.Very enjoyable.Easy access to Fremont St.,other poker rooms and public transportation to anywhere in Vegas.In the past the place was too smokey for me,this has markedly decreased.Subway and other resturants on site.All good.It has a dated atmosphere,but thats part of its' Vegas of the past charm.You could almost feel Bugsy grinning at you.

Room Tip: go for the tower.excellent security
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo