“You get what you pay for...”

El Cortez Hotel & Casino
Ranked #96 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Canada
“You get what you pay for...”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We did not book this ourselves, friends of ours who have stayed here booked it for us as we were travelling together. My first impression was pretty bad, we checked in at the desk in the casino area and the first thing I noticed is how old and digny it looked and then the smell of smoke hit me like a brick wall. I was pretty scared of what the rooms would look like. We went across the street to our room and I was happy to see the lobby was more modern and clean. We stayed on the 3rd floor and our room was okay, funky colors and modern decor. A small room but functional. I noticed right away how dirty the carpet was and then I found a hair on my sheets ( could have been mine). What I liked is the location to the "Freemont Experience". After a day we decided to check out the bar for Happy Hour and it was a lot of fun, they had an Elvis impersonator and two for one cocktails. It was then that we found out our room key no longer worked, my husband had run back to the room to get something and could not enter or room, he ran back across the street to inquire, was told it was "fixed" and off he went....no luck. Turned out the battery in the door itself had died and it does happen often and an engineer would be there to fix it. They gave us a free drink for the trouble. The hotel was okay, we would not stay there again. I had trouble sleeping due to the road noise outside and a rather loud pipe issue....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank de123anna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed October 26, 2012

My brother, wife and I took my mother to El Cortez in Las Vegas for her 85th brithday and the priorities were easy casino access, large selection of coin operated slot machines and good food within the restaurant.

This was our first stay at El Cortez, and we were very pleased about the fit with our criteria. Our rooms were non-smoking tower rooms. Two were double queens and one was a jacuzzi suite we used to gather in.

The casino was just an elevator ride to the main floor away, with a wide variety of coin-operated slots and substantial sports betting and blackjack. There was only one table of limit hold 'em which was always full, but there was some decent poker available at the Golden Nugget up at the far end of the Freemont Strip a short walk away.

The casino and hotel are small by today's Las Vegas strip standards, which was what we were looking for with an eldery mother who had mobility issues. Limited quantities of wheelchairs were available for free in the casino.

We had brunch daily in the Cafe Cortez, which was nothing special, but the food was very good and reasonably prices. Dinner at the Flame was excellent.

All guests received a free bottle of wine voucher per room.

The staff at El Cortez were outstanding, and really made you feel at home.

The rooms were a bit overpriced in my opinion(the jacuzzi suite was way overpriced) and the hotel was very old but recently remodeled. However it was very much reminiscent of old Las Vegas, which was perfect for my mother who had been going there since the 60s.

The Casino was very smokey at times, which took a bit of getting used to as we are all non-smokers, but it was nowhere near as bad as the airconditioning at some of the larger hotels which dried out my contact lenses in minutes.

I would recommend the El Cortez's Flame restaurant for dinner, their casino for loose slots and sports betting as well as a trip up the strip to the Golden Nugget for TNL hold'em and their fantastic buffet.

We will be taking my mother there again for her 86th birthday this December so that tells you how we felt about the experience.

Good luck in Las Vegas.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Ross T
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed October 25, 2012

For years, I have stayed on the strip, but I recently started staying downtown, and have now stayed twice at El Cortez Hotel & Casino. I have played here for years, and have loved the casino, and now am a fan of the hotel, too. I have reserved a Tower King, Non-Smoking room both times. The rooms were clean, comfortable, spacious, and well-equipped. Now, this isn't one of the fancy suites at one of the new high-end strip resorts, but if you're looking for a decent place to stay for a more reasonable price, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

A few more tips about the property: They have great games here, if you like to gamble. They have single deck blackjack with $5 minimums that pays 3:2. (Most single deck games only pay 6:5, and it's hard to find $5 minimums anymore). They have good video poker and loose slots here, too. If you're hungry, the Cafe Cortez always has good food waiting for you, and it's a great value. (You'll be hard pressed to spend $15 in there per person for a full meal.) If you want a nice steak, The Flame steakhouse is a good choice. The atmosphere and decor aren't anything special, but you're not paying $75 for your meal, either. At nighttime, the Freemont Street Experience is just a short (and safe) walk away. And, when you're tired, it's a short walk back.

I like it a lot, and I will continue to stay here. My Vegas dollars go very far here.

Room Tip: The rooms here are cheap. Splurge on a nicer room!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank Big80s
Hong Kong
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We were 'upgraded' to the pavillon room on the 5th floor of parking adjacent to the hotel & casino building.

Because of our earlier visit of a restaurant in Williams AZ, I ended up sick and laid in bed for 12 hours straight in this hotel room. Bed was definitely comfy but it was Friday night, so noises from the outside every now and then woke me up. All basic amenities were available.

Shower - the switch was a bit rusty and we had a hard time turning it on. But staff were helpful and the engineer that came up showed us how much strength (which we lack from our sickness) was needed to turn the shower on.

The neighborhood was a bit sketchy at 3am when we had to check out and leave for our early flight. I would say come to Fremont St. during the day and go back to the Strip for acommodations if you are travelling with your family with kids.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jen Y
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

My room was in the Cabana Suites, across the street from the casino. While check in was located it the main building, the sister building has a separate secure entrance, and help desk. Overnight parking is conveniently located between the two buildings.

There was an issue with our room keys, and even just after check in, they did not work in our assigned entrance. At the time of our stay we were told this was a somewhat common occurrence.

Due to it's L shaped floor plan, the room I stayed in was a very good size. The door opened onto a large entry area with table, arm chair and cabinet. From there, the space extended to the right, where the King sized bed and side tables were nestled. A large couch, that easily doubled as a second bed, was located midway up the wall, between the bed and the flat screen TV.

The bathroom featured double basins, an expansive walk-in shower, and the usual amenities.

The gym, located on the main floor, was a good size, and housed numerous pieces of cardio equipment. There was also water and fresh fruit on site, which was the perfect post work-out treat.

Located in Freemont East section of downtown Vegas, it was close to all night breakfast, and the Freemont Shopping Experience, which worked just fine for me.

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Cupcakedujour
rimini
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Let's start from the only positive thing: price is very low and if you search a budget option in L.V downtown it could be fine to stand one or two,maximum,nights.
I booked a vintage room and got a pavillion one,which is said to be slightly nicer.
They are located at the 5th floor of the hotel parking and they are large enough but terribly dirty.
This is what i couldn't stand. I found several hair in the rooms,stains and even some disgusting traces left ,probably by somebody who drank too much the previous night.
Complained at the reception and instead of geniune apologizes ,i got a total indifference.
The hotel stand in a dodgy area and the casino also gather some of these people so it's not worth staying even for the free bet and the free drink provided at the check in desk.
Overall i wouldn't recommend if just travelling on a tight budget. I definetely made a mistake in choosing el cortez.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mytheprince

Travelers are raving about these Las Vegas hotels

tuscaloosa
Reviewed October 10, 2012

While visiting Freemont went into this casino to find a restroom- had to be smelliest one I visited while in Vegas. I don't know how the rooms are, saw a lounge area with an Elvis impersonator that was singing his heart out. It was an interesting visit, nothing extraordinary, don't go out of your way to go visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends