“Fun! Go at night if you can.”
Review of The Neon Museum

Ranked #23 of 462 things to do in Las Vegas
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Founded in 1996, the Neon Museum is a non-profit 501 (c) 3 organization dedicated to collecting, preserving, studying and exhibiting iconic Las Vegas signs for educational, historic, arts and cultural enrichment. The Neon Museum campus includes the outdoor exhibition space known as the "Neon Boneyard", a visitors’ center housed inside the former La Concha Motel lobby and the Neon Boneyard North Gallery which houses additional rescued signs and is available for weddings, special events, photo shoots and educational programs. Night tours feature the fabulous neon of our seven restored signs, and our beautifully and dramatically lit un-restored signs. Due to the nature of our collection, the Neon Museum Boneyard is only available to the public through an hour long guided tour. Tours are available seven days a week and tour times vary based on the season.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The Neon Museum (or the "Boneyard," as it's sometimes called), is pretty cool. Take the guided tour, preferably after dark (really all the tours are guided - you can't just wander around by yourself). While most of the signs have not been restored (it is *ridiculously* expensive to restore one so they are doing them as they raise the money), they have lights around the paths so you can see them. The ones that have been restored (like the Sahara and Stardust signs) are really neat to see up close. They also have a couple of signs out along the road nearby (one of their goals in restoration is to place some of these old signs around Vegas - some are already up in various locations). On this tour, you'll learn a good deal about the history of Vegas and the evolution of the signage.

The tour takes about 45-60 minutes. There isn't much to see before the tour: you can admire the lobby building architecture, browse the souvenirs, or explore some info on Vegas via electronic thermal screens (you move the cursor via the heat of your body sensed by the camera - you have to see to understand). So really, you don't need to get there very early.

They sell bottled water for $1, which was very nice in July. Parking was free. I'd recommend getting tickets online in advance, as these tours seem pretty popular.

There are newer reviews for The Neon Museum

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was my favorite attraction in Vegas.

If you like the nostalgia of the “old Vegas,” and if you have an interest in history, and if you have ever heard the words “Populuxe, Googie, or Atomic” use to describe that whimsical, futuristic look and feel of art and design from the 40’s through the early 60’s – then you will love this attraction. The Neon Boneyard has the goods – the real stuff. You will see hundreds of neon signs from Las Vegas’ past, including the famous Stardust, original Golden Nugget, and other lesser-known, but quirky and interesting signs. Some are fully restored; others in the boneyard are accented by special lighting. There are also a couple of interactive multimedia displays in the lobby/gift shop you can browse before your tour.

Two things to note:
1) The exhibit is outside. I went at night – and I suggest the same – especially if it is 108 in the daytime, as it was when I was there, though more serious photographers might want to do both a day and night tour. (The night tour lasted approximately one hour.)
2) The Neon Museum is not far away from the Fremont area, but it is not accessible by the Deuce of SDX or Monorail. Your round-trip taxi ride from the strip will cost more than your entrance fee. Maybe Deuce up to Fremont and take a cab from there? And you might wanna pull up the address on your Google maps to help your cabbie get there. My cabbie got lost.

1  Thank DrNickatNite
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We went because we saw the sign and decided to check it out. We were glad we did! Lots of history and really cool photo ops. Our guide knew all kinds of fun factoids about the signs and Vegas it really was time well spent.

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Did this tour in the day one of the hottest days of the year and although I really enjoyed it and the guide was very informative I found myself wandering off I just wanted to see the signs not stand around in the burning heat for ages taking a quiz on it. By the end of the tour I had walked off to sit in the shade before I passed out from the heat. Don't get me wrong the tour was great it was my own fault for going in the heat I would probably do this at night if u went again.

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We took a daytime tour and had a great time, the staff was very welcoming from the moment we arrived. The hour long tour was fantastic and we are so glad we made the time to do it, we may even go back for a night time tour just to see what we missed on our nex trip. Don't let anyone fool you it's hot but it's not that bad and you probably walk the distance many of us walk from the front of the casino to the buffet. Overall this is a great treat for your vegas trip

Been to The Neon Museum? Share your experiences!