“This tour is a must.”

Ranked #20 of 454 things to do in Las Vegas
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Founded in 1996, the Neon Museum is a non-profit 501 (c) 3 organization dedicated to collecting, preserving, studying and exhibiting iconic Las Vegas signs for educational, historic, arts and cultural enrichment. The Neon Museum campus includes the outdoor exhibition space known as the Neon Boneyard, a visitors’ center housed inside the former La Concha Motel lobby and the Neon Boneyard North Gallery which houses additional rescued signs and is available for weddings, special events, photo shoots and educational programs. Due to the nature of our collection, the Neon Museum Boneyard is only available to the public through an hour long guided tour. Tours are available seven days a week and tour times vary based on the season. Dedicated individuals from the private sector, as well as corporate and government entities, worked collaboratively to promote the preservation of these national treasures as significant pieces of artistic and historical importance. Each sign in the Neon Museum’s collection offers a unique story about the personalities who created it, what inspired it, where and when it was made, and the role it played in Las Vegas’ distinctive history. In addition, the Neon Museum collection chronicles changes and trends in sign design and technology through pieces ranging from the 1930s to the present day. Public education, outreach, research, archival preservation and a grant-funded neon sign survey represent a selection of the museum’s ongoing projects.
NJ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“This tour is a must.”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I think at times my face was as lit up as these signs had once been. This is so incredibly cool.
The Neon Boneyard has just undergone renovations. I was so interested in experiencing this old Vegas archeology that my first trip to Vegas, and my Vegas wedding, were planned for the dates after the grand re-opening.
It did not disappoint.
Now having read so much in advance and having seen so much in advance, I already knew some of the stories attached to particular artifacts, but was thrilled to be there for it in person. Our tour guide was clearly passionate about bringing the history to life, as well as listening to stories shared by people who remembered.
We were lucky enough to be accommodated, even though we arrived without advance tickets. Additionally, it wasn't until I was already in the tour that I remembered they discourage sandals being worn on the site. I think this pertained more to the way the grounds had been before the revamp though, as I wasn't encountering any broken light bulbs on the designated paths.
Our guide also was willing to take our picture for us.
In advance of our trip I had been in touch with the Neon Museum regarding permission for us having our quick wedding on site. They don't permit such a thing, but when we were there something gave me the impression that in the future, they just might. The place can be rented by the hour for photo shoots though (I think it's $700 or $800), so some people have had their wedding pictures done there. There is an annex area that has the overflow of signs that is locked. You can see some of the items peaking over the wall from where they're being held hostage.
A great plus to the renovation with an actual visitor center is that there are now restrooms on site. This is probably the place where the most of our souvenir dollars were spent as there were some good looking items.
I imagine this tour isn't really for everyone. But I can't think of anyone I know who wouldn't delight in being able to see these faded glories.

1 Thank Sambient

26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Unique experience”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

The tour guide was very informative. It was cool seeing the old signs I had seen pictures of in my grandpa’s old photo album. The location is bit further out then I expected, but I think it was worth the drive. My son enjoyed taking pictures of the signs and learning about how they all were made. The tour was inexpensive and was definitely a fun diversion away from the busier side of the strip.

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Light Up Your Life”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Highly recommend a trip to the Neon Museum just north of downtown LV. It's fascinating and fun for architecture and design buffs.

Visited December 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Down memory lane”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

If you are nostalgic for that old Las Vegas feeling, then this is a place for you. This is not a slick presentation, but basically an empty lot that houses many of the old signs. Only a couple have been refurbished, but the tour guide (mandatory) does a fabulous job with history and amusing anecdotes. No drop ins, must make a reservation.

Allentown, Pennsylvania
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Unique attraction in Las Vegas”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The tour at the Neon Museum is a unique experience. You walk through the neon sign "boneyard" while the tour guide shares facts and stories about the history and original locations of the signs (hotels/casinos/etc). It's amazing to be so close to pieces of Las Vegas history. You can tell that the entire staff puts their heart and soul into this beautiful tribute to the neon signs. Definitely worth a visit!

Visited December 2012