“So disappointed”

Ranked #23 of 462 things to do in Las Vegas
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Founded in 1996, the Neon Museum is a non-profit 501 (c) 3 organization dedicated to collecting, preserving, studying and exhibiting iconic Las Vegas signs for educational, historic, arts and cultural enrichment. The Neon Museum campus includes the outdoor exhibition space known as the "Neon Boneyard", a visitors’ center housed inside the former La Concha Motel lobby and the Neon Boneyard North Gallery which houses additional rescued signs and is available for weddings, special events, photo shoots and educational programs. Night tours feature the fabulous neon of our seven restored signs, and our beautifully and dramatically lit un-restored signs. Due to the nature of our collection, the Neon Museum Boneyard is only available to the public through an hour long guided tour. Tours are available seven days a week and tour times vary based on the season.
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Firstly, I tried to ring these people to ask for directions and get some advice for booking - no one answers the phone - voicemail only. I understand that this is a voluntary organization, so I can accept that. I then booked online - just as I clicked "book", I realised I made a mistake, and right away - literally, within seconds - emailed to beg them to change it to the next day, which is what I had meant to do in the first place. (I accidentally booked for that day so there was absolutely no way of us getting there on time). Again, I understand that they need to have rules in place - eg if you are just late for a booked tour, fair enough, you shouldn't be able to change your tour booking. But LITERALLY, I emailed within seconds AND tried to ring to explain.

That night, I got a curt email letting me know that they don't change bookings or do refunds. I do know that it was my mistake, however I feel it is pretty unfair under the circumstances. This was something I have looked at online in Australia, and I have lots of friends who are travelling here next year and were thinking of coming here - I will definitely be telling them not to bother. These people clearly don't have any interest in visitors coming to their museum. They happily took the $60+ and we got nothing. Pretty shabby for a "non profit organization". Not happy!

8  Thank SGS123
There are newer reviews for The Neon Museum

Reviewed December 5, 2012

A great collection of neon and other signs from hotels, casinos and other business no longer around. You must take a tour and the guides are very knowledgeable. It's outdoors and limited shade, so midday is not the best time to go.

1  Thank Judi S
Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is where old Las Vegas signs go to die. There are so many of them, they lay against each other, but are jumbled in chronological order, more or less. You must take the tour to see them, and you must make reservations in advance. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and personable, and the tour was quite interesting, basically a short history of Las Vegas as represented by the signs. I definitely recommend this.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

A great way to spend an hour or two, this was our second visit to Vegas so we had already done Fremont Street by night and driven to the Grand Canyon via Williams, we had previously done the shows and all the many sights on the strip.. however we never made it to the Neon Boneyard so this time we booked in advance and made our way there mid week.

The tour was informative, interesting and a nice bit of culture. Having already read the guide to visiting the site we knew what to expect in terms of rules what we didn't realise was that the Boneyard would be vastly smaller then we imagined, we also found it difficult but not impossible to photograph the signs, we were told "stay where I can see you or you may be asked to leave" the thing is people go primarily to see the signs and take photo's so some time should allotted for this.

All this said we learned a few things and enjoyed the intimate tour, there are a lot of legendary signs and a lot of interesting stories. Worth a visit even if in a slightly dubious neighborhood.

1  Thank billyboy302
Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

I absolutely loved the neon boneyard. I would now consider this a must see if you have any interest in old vegas. The visitors center is the lobby of the La Concha motel. It used to be on the strip. Thet cut the building in half...and more....to move it to its current location.
The tour guides are knowledgable and obviously love their job.
It takes about an hour to take the tour and its packed with information. Some signs are restored others are not. The signs range anywhere from early neon signs to the gigantic pirate skull from the Treasure Island.
I do not know if there is bus service to the museum, but its easily driveable (its on las vegas blvd north). It would also be a short cab ride from downtown. There is a small gift shop.
However you get there, it will be well worth the time and effort to visit The Neon Boneyard.

1  Thank RWeb

Been to The Neon Museum? Share your experiences!