I stayed at Trump Hotel for Thanksgiving last month. It was a busy weekend and the rates looked attractive for a 5-star property. I really regret not going with Venetian instead since it was only slightly more.
To preface, I actually don't hate on Trump. I rather enjoy his Apprentice show and most of his dealings, so I was very open minded staying at Trump for the first time. But fact remains that this was a really subpar experience.
First, location was horrible.
Our taxi drove us in, and you get off the freeway to see the row of strip clubs before arriving at the Trump hotel. The location is offstrip even though it looked pretty near on Google Maps. It's a ten minute walk to the Wynn which is on the Northern end of the strip. They have a shuttle to Wynn and Caesar's, but it's not very convenient especially if you want to take a break in your room mid-day.
Worse, one side of the tower faces the Railroad track. If you're a light sleeper, don't bother; it's pretty loud. I couldn't believe the rep I spoke with just dismisses it like it's normal. She told me to book the room on the other side next time I stay. So 50% of the hotel experience the train multiple times a night... really?
Second, while the resort fee is quite standard now in Las Vegas, the amenities that came with it were disappointing (wifi, shuttle, water). Oh, and pool access too. Except that during my stay the pool was up for "renovation" for December. This is fine and understandable, but what was insulting was the note to tell guests to buy a $10 voucher to use Caesar's Palace pool (and ride their free shuttle there!)
I can't imagine having your five star hotel guests to pay for a ticket to use another hotel's pool while being shuttled back and forth. If you claim that pool access is part of the resort fee, then at least provide complimentary tickets on request. It's almost comical.
Finally, the overall staff and experience of the hotel is far from a true 5 star hotel. It's 4 stars at best. Everyone from doorman, shuttle driver, front desk. None of them really understand how to delight the customer. They're just doing their job day in and day out. The shuttle drives around the hotel to stop at next pickup, instead of letting you off at the hotel entrance first. The doorman opens the door but no one offers to help with the bags. The concierge won't help get you change but have you wait ten minutes for a front desk agent. Many many more examples lead me to believe that the staff isn't trained at the same expectations at other 5 star hotels.
I could go on, but you get the point.
- Smoke free hotel
- Location is off-strip, ten minutes walk to the Wynn. The ride there passes through the strip clubs.
- On the back side of the tower you hear the train multiple times a day.
- Staff (shuttle, front desk, bellman) are all less experienced. They are courteous, but really rough around the edges that you wouldn't expect from a 5-star hotel.
- No customer support. I emailed some of my concerns in this review to them and never got a response back.
Overall this is far from a 5-star experience. Their rooms and suites are discounted for a reason. In retrospect, I'd rather pay a bit more to stay at Venetian or Bellagio. I would never stay at Trump again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Towering over The Las Vegas Strip, the Trump International Hotel™ - Las Vegas is a non-smoking luxury resort offering 1,232 graciously furnished hotel suites and 50 magnificent penthouses. Boasting the finest views of The Strip, the hotel lies where Las Vegas Blvd meets Fashion Show Drive, adjacent to the best shopping and finest casinos in the city. The Spa at Trump® offers 11,000 square feet of sumptuous serenity, ensuring that each guest’s experience is a memorable personal event. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Prestigia, TravelUp, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Jetsetter, Priceline, Vegas.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Trump International Hotel Las Vegas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Trump International Las Vegas