“Comfortable and Spacious”

WorldMark Las Vegas-Boulevard
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 20, 2011

I just returned from staying a whole week at this property and all in all, it was a good experience. There are areas for improvement, but for the most part, you will enjoy your stay here. The Good: Rooms are very spacious, clean, smell good, nice sized balcony with a BBQ/table/chairs, and good sized bathrooms. Check in was a breeze and staff were friendly. Staff were also very friendly at the Resort Host counter. One staff, Branden, went out of his way to ensure our stay was great and we had directions to area sights. Another female staff printed off our boarding passes and directions as well. There is plenty of parking and the lazy river pool and main circular hot tub were wonderful places to relax and meet friendly people.
Areas for improvement: One staff person, an older lifeguard named "Monte" was incredibly rude and you could tell did not enjoy his job. I went to return towels one morning and was met with a bad attitude and when he asked a question about the name on the room, but meant the room number, and I told him the last name, he responded incredibly rude and curt, yelled at me "THAT'S NOT WHAT I ASKED." I later inquired with another lifeguard about this behavior and was told that in fact this guy is rude to most people and that you just have to tell him to "stop being a jerk" and he will stop. I do not own a timeshare at Worldmark, but was a guest interested in possibly joining, but not after seeing this behavior. It is apalling that staff at the Worldmark apparently excuse this abusive behavior to guests. I will say this was an anomoly amongst the staff here and most everyone else I encountered bent over backwards to help. Nevertheless, this behavior must be addressed.
Wi-Fi: The wireless in the unit was a joke. Reception only worked near the pool and they charge a weekly or daily fee for use. For what people pay to stay here, Worldmark should really invest in quality wi-fi free Internet for guests. I was forced to use my Blackberry.
Other areas for improvement: One of the 4 pools/spas was closed, another spa was lukewarm and the lifeguards don't bother to tell you this BEFORE you enter, but tell you after that there is a heating issue with this nice spa. The spare room in the 2-BR condo unit borders the busy Las vegas Blvd. and the noisy air unit for the condo. If you do not turn the temp to 71 and put it on auto, the loud fan runs all night and will keep you up.
Recommend: Rent a car if you want to buy groceries for the condo or explore sights. We saved a lot of money shopping at the Food 4 Less 2 blocks down from the hotel and eating in the condo. Restaurants are expensive in Vegas, so this saved well over $250. this week. If you don't, you are at the mercy of the shuttle that runs every 1 1/2 hours and gets full. I would have a car if I went back. Parking at the casinos is free.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
8  Thank Tundra74

Reviewed January 18, 2011

This hotel is great. Very much for families. The TV is dated. They're still small tube TV's. The rooms have everything you need, from a plunger to some brooms. However, they don't have anyone runners (people who deliver extra blankets or pillows to the rooms). If you need any extra things, you need to go to an exchange room. i had also asked for extra pillows, but was told straight that they don't have extra pillows. Really? What do you do if your guest takes one of your pillows? Oh yeah! That may be why when we walked in a pillow from the master room was MISSING! Weird!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank KYM123
Reviewed October 7, 2010

In general, my wife and I were pleased with our stay at the property Friday 9/17/10 through Monday, 9/20/10. The resort staff was uniformly polite and responsive and the studio unit we were assigned generally met our expectations.
Some let downs and areas for improvement:
1) It was obvious that there are some deferred maintenance issues with our unit. In the toilet tub room, the baseboard paint is cracked and peeling away. In the tub/shower itself, the top of the surround is woefully cracked and gapped and needed to be caulked in the worst way immediately. Both of these jobs could be easily done during a normal 4 hour turn of the room WITHOUT taking it out of service. There's a resident handyman or Mr. Fixit on the prowl with his supply/tool cart; why was this obvious minor repair let go? It tells me the housekeeping supervisors are not taking the time to examine their units with an "owner's eye". I own some apartment units and we're always on the lookout for minor damage, signs of aging, water stains, and/or dried out caulking in the tub and toilet areas.
2) When we checked in, we were sent over to the activities/tour desk to pick up our amenity kit, which included some wipes and a complimentary shaver, but no shampoo or conditioner. Saturday morning I went down to ask for some shampoo and was directed to the on-site Gift Shop where I had to pay $2.50, plus tax, to get an amenity sized bottle of commercial grade shampoo. Why is that?
I absolutely hate and resent that many hotels and resorts have taken to componentizing their product and charging for various "ups and addons". It's nickel and diming the customer. I pay roughly $700 per year for "maintenance" for one (1) week. Wyndham is one of the world's LARGEST hotel chains. Surely with their bulk purchasing power they can acquire amenity-sized shampoo and conditioner for complimentary availability, on request, at their Worldmark properties. To charge for them is chintzy and certainly not in keeping with a "world class" experience. It occurs to me as a "gotcha", because it is now so difficult to travel with a personal supply of shampoo and conditioner if one doesn't check their bag (another $35.00 gotcha from the airlines). I'd rather pay slightly more for my annual dues and not be hit with these miscellaneous amenity fees.
Further, to charge for internet access is also highly objectionable. The resort needs a "fat pipe" anyhow to carry its timeshare sales and hotel operations data traffic. The guest internet access could be provided free of charge and could be managed by the server to allow the resort's internal business traffic to have priority on the inbound and outbound legs.
I travel a fair amount and I now carry a Verizon MiFi with me, because I got SO TIRED of various hotels and airports (not all) charging for internet access. It's just ridiculous. Again, I'd rather pay slightly more in annual fees and get rid of these obnoxious "toll booth" type charges. It makes no sense to me and at the end of the day is indefensible OTHER than "we have you over the barrel and we can get away with it".
3) On Sunday morning I got up at around 5:20 AM and came down to the Lobby area to get a cup of coffee and I purchased a newspaper to read. My wife wanted to sleep in and this way I could enjoy the paper without the rustling of pages disturbing her. I noticed that the Lobby and Pool areas of the resort have nice background music playing all day, which is fine. HOWEVER, at 7:30AM or so Sunday morning the tour/activity staff for the timeshare sales operation came in to open their area in the Lobby and get set up for the day. They proceeded to turn on (and turn up) their own music, which led off with the driving and thumping music theme from the movie "Top Gun"... Highway to the Danger Zone.
Needless to say, sitting in the Lobby trying to enjoy a quiet Sunday morning with a newspaper was turned into feeling like I had an involuntary front row seat at some battle of the bands being played out simultaneously. I got up and left and went back to my room.
A couple of observations:
• There should NEVER be more than one format of music playing in the public areas... period. It's intolerable, in poor taste, and certainly not hospitable. And I could care less about the needs, wants, or music preferences of the timeshare sales lobby staff, whom I sure want a more fast-paced or drive-type music going to psychologically enhance their appointment pitches.
• If I had to guess, the Timeshare Sales division has its own distinct on site management with whom the hotel has to maintain some type of "uneasy" management stand-off when it comes to issues like this.
• If I had to further guess, the Timeshare Sales folks consider themselves to be the "top guns" at the resort, given the number of expensive cars I saw taking the spaces close to the lobby. I might normally attribute them to some inbound guests, however, I saw a local mobile detailler washing and waxing these same cars in front of the hotel. I have to assume they belong to the resident timeshare sales staff and/or sales management.
4) When I did return to my room Sunday morning after leaving the Lobby because of the very apparent conflicting music selections, I still had no peace. From approximately 7:40 AM to 8:00 AM there was a very loud noise coming from the pool patio area beneath our window. After about 10 minutes, I got tired of listening to it and went down to see what was causing the racket. One of the maintenance people was out by the fence that separates the Lobby patio area from the northwest pool area. He was using a Briggs & Stratton gasoline-powered spray unit to either wash something down or water the trees; I couldn't tell. In addition to the loud ambient noise ANY Briggs & Stratton motor makes while it's running, this one would surge every time the man pulled the trigger on the wand and the water sprayed out.
Unless it's an emergency, why is ANY loud and noisy maintenance operation permitted to occur at a resort before 9:30 AM or 10:00 AM? It makes no sense to me... The staff, or certainly their supervisors, should think ahead regarding the unintended consequences for the guests of performing their assigned tasks. Did it occur to anyone that some folks might be tired and want to rest or that perhaps others had had a late night out on the town and might want to sleep in?
Given the 360 degree stucco courtyard design of the property, loud sound bounces and reverbrates around the patio and pool areas, any run of the mill MORON should know that you don't operate loud equipment early in the morning where folks are sleeping.
It might seem a bit obvious, but if this work needs to be done regularly before the pool area opens at 8 AM, perhaps the resort might consider purchasing an ELECTRICALLY powered pressure washing unit. They are about 90% quieter than a gasoline powered one...
As I said earlier, the staff was uniformly very polite and responsive and we generally enjoyed our stay AND we would return. However, management's "Perfect 10" flyers were posted in the elevators and elsewhere on hallway bulletin boards. To my my of thinking, that's a very high standard or benchmark to aspire to and one shouldn't attempt, in advance, to "bleed their audience" for applause. I fully understand that Wyndham, in no small way, rates its managers on the guest feedback it receives. However, it seems a little pretentious to pre-frame the guests' expectations, in writing, for the grades the resort wants to receive... kind of like a waiter dropping excessive hints that he or she is expecting a big tip. Polite, pleasant, clean, and efficient will consistently get you 7's and 8's.
If the resort REALLY wants a 10 score, then ALL the staff not only needs to be consistently polite and responsive, they also need to think ahead and be PROACTIVE and anticipatory of guest needs.
To get and keep a "Perfect 10", the staff also needs to constantly adopt and train for an "owner's eye". Like being on the lookout for minor deferred maintenance, like not charging for a small bottle of shampoo, like not having the timeshare/activity desk staff turn on separate music THEY like, like having maintenance people who are conscious of how much noise or disruption their activity or task might cause a guest to experience early in the morning.
In the hospitality business, ALL employees are equally responsible for maintaining the brand AND the customer experience. Marketing is AN UNDERLYING ATTITUDE and worldview, not a department.
When all resort team members are functioning in a consistently proactive mode and working together like a well-conducted symphony, Perfect 10's are both clearly earned and deserved... no posted reminders or begathons will be necessary.
[Please note: I made these comments, in an email, directly to the Resort GM and received a very prompt, polite, and detailed reply thanking me for my input and assuring me that my observations would be brought up at their next training meeting.]

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
12  Thank SamKephart
Reviewed August 2, 2010

If you are tired of a cramped Vegas hotel, and don't care about a view of the strip, this is a GREAT place to stay! We were fortunate enough to score this timeshare thru an exchange with our timeshare company. What a deal!! I travelled with my mom for a seminar in Las Vegas for two days. We stayed in a two bedroom, two bath condo. What a nice layout! We had a HUGE kitchen with all appliances, two bedrooms with a queen size murphy/pull down bed in the family room (I actually ended up sleeping on the murphy bed since the other bedroom only had a twin size bed and NO TV). This condo is NOT super close to the Las Vegas strip action, and you will ABSOLUTELY want to get a rental car to be able to scoot around the strip (condo complex does offer a shuttle, but it gets very crowded and is not super convenient). The Lazy River is very nice and on those hot Vegas days, you will really enjoy it. Inner tubes are provided free of charge.

Also, there is a free business center with a printer and several computers where you can access the internet for free. If you want to use the internet in the condo, you will have to pay, so it's much easier to just go down to the business center (free is always better!).

I would absolutely stay here again! Yes, it is NOT on the strip and there is no gambling, but for the square footage and space, it is a home run!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Angiet2
Reviewed April 29, 2010

My friend actually arranged for this place through his World Mark - so I preface this review by saying I didn't pay a single penny. Thanks, Bubba!

We stayed in a two bedroom, two bathroom condo with a large deck overlooking one of the swimming pool / courtyards. It was spacious and clean and came with all the creature comforts of home: TV, kitchen, internet access (for a fee), etc. It also included a Murphy Bed in the living room which could have slept a third couple, if necessary.

Although this WorldMark offers a free shuttle to/from the Strip, we learned in advance that it ran infrequently and with limited hours - so we rented a car instead. The place is located about 6 miles or so south of the Strip and took about 10-15 minutes to reach, depending on traffic. Access to the car rental return center is also a short 5-10 minute drive away.

If I were a paying customer, I would probably gripe about the poor BBQ grills, the sporadic cardlock cards, and the blank /confused (but friendly) looks I received when asking for help/directions. But since my money instead paid for overpriced shows and losing bets - I have no complaints.

Although we don’t have kids, there was certainly no shortage of activities for the entire family. Be sure to go for a swim, play horseshoes, or shoot baskets. Lots of other activities in the Rec. Room as well.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank AtomicCKR
Reviewed November 3, 2009

The hotel doesn't offer a shuttle from/to the airport. None of the various shuttles at the airport arrivals will go there either. Our room and pools were very nice but there was very limited resources on site. They had a free shuttle that took you to the grocery store only at 10am. There were various other times throughout the day where they offered a shuttle to the strip. The only d/o and p/u point was Caesars Palace. You could not request any stops at any other hotels. You CANNOT bring any large bags or luggage on the shuttle either. You have to be present in the lobby for them to call you a taxi as they do not have any on stand by and it will cost you about $20-$25 one way to get to the strip. All in all I say if your going to Vegas stay at a different hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank prettyleah
Reviewed August 24, 2009

We had a 2 bedroom penthouse, and it was huge. The sliding door did not work properly and the blinds were missing in a few windows. The staff were fabulous, so freindly and attentive. The shuttle to the grocery store each monring at 10am is fabulous, and the other shuttle to the strip is a blessing also. It amazed me how many guests did not tip the drivers, As a non US resident I found this poor.

It is a great place for a family vacation and the pool is excellent.

A couple of observations:
a) The store and grocey options onsite are not good, and could be improved.
b) Baby sitting services are recommended at 35.00 per hour (min of 3 hrs plus a 10.00 booking fee) which is outrageous.
c) There is no shade facility over the childrens pool which in August is exposed to the 40+/107+ degree heat, which renders its non use by any responsible parent. This would certainly be a safe and conscious address by the resort for parents with children under 2

These two factors should be looked at and addressed

Our stay was very pleasant and relaxing. I would stay again.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family