“Worth the hike!”
Review of Eagle Lake

More attraction details
Owner description: Nevada lake named for its large amount of eagles.
Modesto, California
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Worth the hike!”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Eagle Lake is truly in the middle of nowhere. You can only get to it on foot (meaning hiking about 1 mile from Eagle Falls Trail-head.) It is so worth the effort. The lake is stunning, extremely an experience to witness.

Visited May 2014

San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Worth the effort”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I climbed up to Eagle Falls for the first time last month so with a few words of encouragement from the friendly ranger, I decided to go further up to Eagle Lake this time. He said the first "400 yds" was a steep rocky climb but it's fairly easy after that. Well... easy for him and yeah... well, many others passed me with ease. For me, it was a hard climb. The trail had uneven rocks and some spots, a bit slippery. The lighter air in the higher altitude made me huff and puff, and turn beet red, on a very hot day. There were moments that I muttered that I regretted we found a parking space this second day of trying. Parking was near impossible because of the large 4th of July visitors. We gave up the first day. Many cars were parked illegally on the road. I've seen them give out tickets before, so we didn't think it was worth the risk. OK, the good stuff...Even though the path can be a bit narrow, there were plently of spots to just stop and rest before going on. People are friendly and will go around you. The view, the clear beautiful water, was well worth it. I did not jump it like some for a swim... but it felt very good to pour the cool water on my head, neck, arms, and face. Yes, perfect for a small picnic but the weight of the water bottle was already killing me during the climb. My little 7 y-o and 12 y-o nephews led the climb carrying their hydration packs with no difficulty at all. They stopped to munch on energy bars and suck on their Gatorade, to wait for me. My 20 y-o son stayed back to keep on eye on me and his father. Would I do it again? maybe, on a cooler day... I would try the easier loop trail.
The website says 1 mile.... but I think that is a mistake.

Visited July 2013
USA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Awesome and worth the hike!”
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

A moderate hike up the stone paths and definitely worth the hike! The scene of the lake is really surreal - like out of a movie or painting! Went on a Sunday and parking was hard to come by and people were about. Would definitely make the trip back, but on a warm weekday so I can swim in the lake and hike more around the lake with less people around. Bring a lunch and swimming gear and wear comfortable shoes!

Visited June 2013
Sacramento, CA
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“take the side hike to the vista point”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Take the loop part of the hike to the vista point, worth the couple extra feet walked for the view. The trail was more rocky than we were expecting so I was glad we work actual hiking boots.

I'd think on a busier day the trail could get crowded in places as there are some spots where there is only one good path over the rocks etc.

Great views of hills and lake along most all of the trail which makes it more enjoyable.

Visited May 2013
Sacramento, California
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Great Hike, but not for everyone.”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This hike is good for most. I would say kids 6+ and adults who can handle a medium level hike. The trail is easy but uphill to the lake and rigorous because of the elevation. Watch out for people with their dogs off leash. If it is warm pack your swimsuits and towel. Eagle lake refreshing on a hot day. Hit the bathroom at the trailhead before heading up. Also parking can be a pain.

Visited August 2012