“Slow Down; You Move To Fast”
Review of Lake Tahoe Cruises

Lake Tahoe Cruises
More attraction details
Owner description: Our famed paddleboat, the MS Dixie II, offers scenic daytime sightseeing tours with spectacular views of Lake Tahoe and Emerald Bay. Also visit us for The Sierra Sunset Dinner Cruise. Which offers an unforgettable elegant evening cruise complete with famous Tahoe sunsets, breathtaking views, local cuisine, and live music.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

That's a phrase from a classic song. For the Safari Rose Cruise at Tahoe South, it should be the theme song.

There are many boat rides/cruises to take on Lake Tahoe. We settled on Safari Rose because we perceived it to be a change of pace.

By offering this review, my wife and I want to give you enough information to agree or disagree.

We did not want a glitzy, hectic, or overly commercial experience. We wanted a change of pace that would allow us to sit outside and get lost in our thoughts as we viewed the extraordinary scenery that Houston simply cannot provide.

At key points around the lake, the Captain would use the speaker system to tell us interesting facts about the Lake and about what we were seeing. For much of the trip, he piloted the boat and let us enjoy the experience without his commentary.

The boat is extremely comfortable particular in the inside areas. However, we chose to rotate primarily between the outside seating available in various locations from the front to the back and on the top deck.

We met some interesting people from different parts of the country and had relaxing conversations with them. At other times, we simply enjoyed the silence and the views and relaxation. I think I actually nodded off for about 5 to 10 minutes at one point.

The luncheon served was actually much better than we had even expected and the bar was a good bar with a great bartender. Some of my best conversations in my travels around the U.S. are with bartenders; Sam is among the best and most interesting.

In the winter, he works the area as a snowmobile guide. If you are wavering between which boat tour to take and all else is pretty much equal; choose Safari Rose and have a good talk with Sam!

The shuttle service picked us up at our hotel and delivered us back. In between, the four hours on the waters of beautiful Lake Tahoe in a relaxed, unhurried environment guided by a genuinely wonderful, attentive crew was a perfect part of our stop in South Lake Tahoe.

If you take the Safari Rose based upon this review, I don't think you will be be disappointed. I'll sign my name to that: ghscott2050@aol.com.

4  Thank ghscott2050
"bring a jacket"
"boat ride"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We had a great time cruising Lake Tahoe on board one of the bigger vessels named Dixie. It was a 2-hour round trip affair that started at its docking place at Zephyr Cove. Cost was USD47.00 per head (this was the rate as of May 2013), exclusive of meals that the passengers could order.

It was cool and chilly that lovely spring day, and snow was still visible in the mountaintops viewed from the cruise deck. Lake Tahoe was amazing, including Emerald Bay. There was also an impressive, old but well maintained 35-room mansion by the lakeshore that a government foundation had taken over, and that tourists could explore on foot.

This cruise is a must for every first timer visiting Lake Tahoe.

2  Thank lulugirl74
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The SAFARI ROSE experience perhaps just wasn't right for us. It was like a ferry crossing without the result of getting to the other side. We have a lot of experience on motor yachts and this one was just ok. The boat itself is an old 85' motor yacht. Quite charming in its rustic-ness and after the long drive to South Lake Tahoe it was set to be a good, comfortable day on the water. It is decorated in safari theme throughout. Strange but fun in the eccentricity. There is a comfortable living room, an enclosed table and seating at the stern and open seating in the bow. More open air seating upstairs. It was very cold even on a sunny day so the various areas are a plus. We were only 16 on our cruise. I hate to think what it's like with the maximum of 50! 15-20 is about the right number. Know that they have BLANKETS which we were only offered very late in the cruise. What we didn't like was that the cruise powered full steam ahead from South Lake Tahoe, northwest to Fleur du Lac then powered down the west shore ( a little more slowly but too far out to see much of the shore). It then anchored far off the shore of Sugar Pine Point for a simple lunch of dry chicken and beef kebabs and Caesar salad. It then powered on to Emerald Bay and back to the harbor. The information narrated by the captain we knew already after spending 2 days in Tahoe so we didn't find it interesting or informative. The Barman was annoying but the hostess was lovely, kind and helpful. It just seemed a little pointless to power out across the middle of the lake and power straight back. But if its the only way you can get out in the lake then enjoy the cocktails in the comfortable surroundings with beautiful Lake Tahoe as a backdrop.

1  Thank Sara B
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Not sure what I was expecting, but I thought this was a tad too-expensive for cruising around the lake ... although, the food was better than I expected it to be. Glad we did it ... it's a nice something to do, but it's not high on my list as something to repeat.

1  Thank cabearcat
See more reviews
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My partner surprised me with the Valentines sunset cruise. He was informed by the lady when reserving that I could be catered for as a vegan. First problem was that we didnt see the sunset as the boat was still boarding when it went down. Secondly the server was rather rude and didn't care less when he informed me that I could hardly be catered for and that only one of the four courses was vegan. He said the chef could make me a 'big' salad for the main meal. This 'big' salad ended up being exactly the same as the second course and consisted of just lettuce and beetroot and was far from big. This cost us $75 per person and was a complete waste of money. We didnt enjoy the cruise at all because we were too disappointed with my meal and the service provided. I do not recommend to anyone.

2  Thank GretchenW28