“sir prize”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jean
oxnard
“sir prize”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

stayed at gold strike on thursday feb 20th room was clean and quite very large room , had dinner the the steak house there great food dinner came complete with sides no extra fee for soup or salid house wines were great . i had prime rib my wife had filte boht were geat cooked perfect. the room was very clean waiter was there if you needed anything prices were low for a steakhouse of this quality. spent some time on the slots not bad at all.we will be back.

Room Tip: book ahead
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Elko, NV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

A group of us booked three rooms at the Gold Strike for two nights (Friday and Saturday) while attending the Nevada state wrestling tournament because all the hotels in Primm were sold out due to the tournament and other events scheduled that weekend. After reading the previous reviews on TripAdvisor about the Gold Strike, I went with very low expectations and worried I was leading my family into a bad experience. It ended up being a good experience for all of us.

Our group had four children ranging in age from 6 to 15 and five adults so we used quite a few of the services and facilities. Here are the comments from our group:

Adult comments -- The hotel and facilities have not been updated in a very long time but it is very clean and the rates are reasonable. The drinks in the bar are super cheap. The Steak House was FANTASTIC - great food, great service, great price. The casino crowd is an older and quieter crowd. The buffet is average food with a few really good items and pretty inexpensive but the Steak House is awesome. The casino slots paid out in coins, which was kind of fun to hear all the clinking in the casino. The check in process was slow but checkout was fast.

Kid comments -- Disappointed there was no indoor pool and the outdoor one was closed for the season. The arcade didn't have a lot of games but it had enough so it was pretty fun. They liked the snack bar.

We all agreed it was definitely worth the price and we would stay at the Gold Strike again if we returned to that area. And the delicious Steak House was a gem of a dining experience that we will talk about for a long time.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Kimberly, Idaho
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

As with all casino hotels, the smell of cigarette smoke was strong as soon as we walked in the door. The place was dated yet clean. The beds were ok. Not great, but not terrible. There are no tubs, only showers. The shower nozzle is low. This did not bother me, as I am pretty short, but my husband complained that he had to lean way down to take his shower. The showers are very large, which is nice and they have built in seats so that you can sit down during your shower and shave your legs, etc. There are other casinos in Primm, but they are a lot more crowded. I like that the Gold Strike always seems to have a comfortable, no frills room available at a reasonable price no matter what time of day or night that I roll in.

Room Tip: I always ask for non-smoking rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Driftwoodmeg
Ducktown, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

After trying to park my semi at the truck stops in Vegas only to find no parking I continued toward the California state line.I saw a sign for this place claiming that they loved trucks and had a 24 hour buffet.I was pleasently surprised to find lots of parking and a very good but limited buffet.The salad bar was very good with some of the crispest greens I've seen in a while.The main courses were all still hot at the buffet,I just wish there was more variety.The desert bar was also very good.I will definitely stop again next time I come through this way again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank George K
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed here rather than Stateline. No valet parking, no bellman and we couldnt tell where to park to enter the hotel. Breakfast bufet was extremely bland and limited. eggs no taste at all
Price was cheap, room OK. Staff very nice

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Pugwash, Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

I lived at this hotel for 5 months.
One of the reasons is that the other hotels at Primm were full of boozing and loud people.
Now that may be fine for business but my business was to get plenty of rest so that I may continue to be lucid to work so as to pay the bills.
Yes the economy sucks for everyone and all the hotels (not only in Las Vegas ) suffer as do the workers. So if things are not up to snuff in any of the hotels I understand the quandary they are all in.

It is an old hotel a blast from the past, sometimes deserted but for me my room was spacious, it was like an apartment with a sofa and two queen beds with a table. Houskeeping was good, but I would only have them clean once a week for I was not a cochina. I was happy in my little ole room and at this hotel.

I liked the fact that they hire older workers for I do realize that their is age discrimination and many hotels prefer to hire "Eye candy with giant globes".
I usually selected the large rooms which are directly in front of the elevator hall and non-smoking at that.

One thing I loved about the location is that Las Vegas Blvd starts close to the hotel and you can drive the old highway and it feels like you traveled to another time.

During the electrical storms in the summer I loved driving this road and would park and watch the thundershowers and lightning, these shows were fabulous.

The pool was clean and it was wonderful to soak my tired feet before bed time.

I was a low maintenance person so I did not require any room service nor did they have a fitness center.

Room Tip: Relax, do not be uptight on the time warp Dr Who will soon be over.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Abe W
Vicenza, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

From where I live in the High Desert of California, it is cheaper and more practical to use the Las Vegas Airport than it is to use Ontario, or any other SoCal Airport. After a family trip over Memorial Day weekend, we were attempting to drive home from the airport on I-15. The traffic was so bad, I burned 1/4 tank of gas in my truck idling my way from Vegas to Jean. Initially, I pulled off at that exit for gas, but when the line for the pumps was all the way up to the exit ramp, my wife called the Gold Strike to see if they had vacancies, they didn't even take our name and told us to come on over. We checked into our $40 room on the 3rd floor. We found the cable didn't work and my three kids spanning ages 2-13 were rambunctious after being on an airplane and stuck in traffic. Within minutes we received a noise complaint. As it was 3:00 in the afternoon and I didn't view the complaint reasonable, I went to the desk to complain about the complaint....with no exaggeration, the clerk was handing me keys to a new room before I could finish my explanation.

The hotel itself is very old and could use some refurbishing. The furniture in the rooms seems like it was probably bought at liquidation auctions from other casinos. The Buffet was not the MGM Grand's but was better than Golden Coral, and was enjoyed by my family.

The Casino isn't huge, and the bar is cash only, but they have $1 Draft Beers, the common table games, and plenty of slot machines. There is also a small video arcade that was able to entertain the kids for a couple of hours outside of the room.

Is it the kind of place that you would make a point of visiting...probably not. Is it a place I'd go back to if the circumstances arise...absolutely!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Ryan H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jean
South Point Hotel, Casino and Spa
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,704 reviews
Silverton Hotel and Casino
Silverton Hotel and Casino
#70 of 264 in Las Vegas

Been to Gold Strike Hotel and Gambling Hall? Share your experiences!