“A very nice surprise at the end of a long drive”

Cactus Petes Resort Casino
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Jackpot
British Columbia, Canada
“A very nice surprise at the end of a long drive”
Reviewed May 16, 2009

We were in the midst of a long drive from B.C. to Las Vegas. We usually stop in Ely when we drive, but this time we decided to see what Jackpot was all about. Jackpot itself is a bit strange -- just a couple of hotel/casinos (two of which are owned by the same parent company), a gas station, store, etc. -- and we weren't sure what to expect at a place called "Cactus Pete's." Needless to say, we were very pleasantly surprised: the room was beautiful and so was the view. Our only complaint was that the window did not open, even a few inches. Internet was free, which is always a plus. We didn't gamble but we did have a late-night snack (not too memorable) in the dining room. Parking can be a bit of a problem because although the lot is huge, it is nearly always full. Many people were parking across the highway and walking over. However, the bellman was great: he followed us to our car on the far side of the lot and loaded all our luggage into a golf cart.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gumshoe_writer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
idaho
Reviewed April 27, 2009

We spent one night, had an absolute wonderful dinner in the Plateau room and played the night away. We go there at least every other month and love just getting away and enjoying the area. Everyone is always nice, courteous and fun. Take our advice, sometimes you get out of it what you put in.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank redheadnana
Idaho
Reviewed April 10, 2009

The room at Cactus Pete's was remodeled and very nice. My complaint is they do not have a buffet open in the morning. We went to their cafe and ordered oatmeal. I cannot imagine who works in the kitchen but the oatmeal was made by a complete moron. Even the waitress turned up her eyes at it. The price, however was five star plus. I am turned off Cactus Pete's.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
meridian idaho
Reviewed January 18, 2009

We live in Meridian, outside Boise, Idaho. Wife and I made reservations at Cactus Pete's...drove down on 1/17 to stay overnight, and had a terrific time! Stayed in the Tower, second floor -- non-smoking floor -- and were very impressed with the room, including new bathroom fixtures, tiles, carpeting, and the LCD big-screen tv (not that we stayed in the room all that much). The casino..yes, smoky..but what casino isn't? The hotel and casino employees were very friendly...and eager to please. We ate in the Desert Room restaurant...food and service was very good. The slots were pretty generous, tho not overly. I would recommend Cactus Pete's to anyone looking for a nice getaway for an overnite stay...or longer! Will we go back? Yes!!

• Liked — recently renovated rooms, big screen tv, comfort, service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zoom802
Morro Bay, CA
Reviewed August 17, 2008

We booked your stay while planning a long trip coming and going from California to Montana. And it was a pleasant surprise to find a large, modern, and comfortable place in the middle of so much empty country. It was easily the best hotel or casino we saw once we passed Reno. Rooms were first class and a good value. I especially liked the pool area.

• Liked — One of the few excellent acccomodations in that area of the Great Basin.
  • Disliked — No problems during our two visits.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank malolos
Meridian, Idaho
Reviewed May 15, 2008

This is a difficult review to write, because I had quite a good time at Cactus Pete's, but you probably won't. See - I'm not picky when I travel. I've stayed at some of the best hotels in the world, and some of the very worst, and I tend to enjoy both.

Cactus Pete's wasn't the worst by any means. It was a decent 3-star hotel. I was surpised that it had a 4 Diamond rating by AAA and am guessing that rating was given in the early 1990s, and AAA never returned.

I think the best way to review this hotel is to list the pros and cons.

Pros:
-Delicious brunch buffet on the weekends
-The steak and seafood fine dining restaurant is also outstanding
-The coffee shop, the Desert Room, is also fantastic, and the service is prompt and extra friendly.
-The pool was heated to a very nice temperature, making it enjoyable to swim, even when it was only 60 degrees outside.
-The controls for the hot tub jets are located inside the hot-tub, so you don't have to get out into the cold to turn the jets back on.
-The casino is the best in jackpot.
-The band playing when I was there was really good (great free entertainment). Their name is Atomika, by the way, and they can sing almost anything!
-There's a wide variety of slots, video poker, and table games from 1 penny to $5.
-I stayed in a "Hot tub suite" in the Granite tower. Room 5101. It was very large and the bed was comfortable.
-Housekeeping never once botherd me or knocked. Even though I didn't have a do not disturb sign, I never saw or heard them. I'd leave the room, and it was clean when I returned, with some andes mints on the bedstand.
-The showerhead had amazing water pressure.
-Free bottled water was provided (many hotels make you pay $7.00 per bottle, so this was a nice perk).
-Show your AAA card for an additional 10% off. Mid-week rates are inexpensive (but it's not nearly as fun during the week, unless you're really really old).
-A nice selection of in-room movies.
-They had pretty nice bath soap and shampoo.

Now for the cons:
-The snack bar at the pool area was closed the entire time I was there
-The outdoor jacuzzi was really small, and appeared to have some mold and rust.
-Even though I had a non smoking room, it still smelled like smoke, and the room was pretty stuffy. It was as if smoke was permanently trapped in the curtains, the carpeting, the bedspreads, and the towels.
-The room could use a SERIOUS makeover. It looked like a suite from the 1970s, with original furnishings and wallpaper.
-The hot tub that was in my suite had no jets. It's just a giant tub that takes about 20 minutes to fill up. While it was nice to sit in, it seemed rather silly. Also, the controls were very odd - you lift off a panel and actually find a valve on the pipe inside the wall and you turn the valve to let the hot water out.. There was supposed to be a way to control the temperature but it was jammed, so the water was stuck at 110 which was a bit too hot.
-For the huge size of the suite, the bathroom was tiny, and still had the old fashioned 1970s tile.
-The buffet is only open at night during the week
-Room service is only available until 11 pm
-It's difficult to go from the hotel to the jacuzzi and pool area without going through the lobby, unless you want to use the stairs instead of the elevator (which is what I did).
-There's no spa or fitness center - only a hair salon.
-There is no in-room safe
-There is no internet access (wireless or otherwise) except for two computer terminals by the elevator.

I think with some renovations, this place could be pretty nice. But for now, it's just 3-star smoky casino/hotel, with great food. I wouldn't bother spending the money for the hot tub suite, but I would recommend staying in the "Granite" wing, instead of the other tower. It was very convenient with easy casino access. And only in the Granite rooms do you have a patio or balcony, so you can open the sliding glass door and get fresh air -- something you rarely get in casino hotels.

• Liked — The food.
  • Disliked — The outdated room.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank sdnewman21
TURKEY
Reviewed April 21, 2008

i stayed there for four months. everything was excellent. meals are perfect. across the street you can eat at PANCHO VILLA'S MEXICAN GRILL. Also you can eat in desert room and steak house in cacus petes. Rooms were clean and everybody was hospitable.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business