“Great Room to Stay With My Dog”

Horseshu Hotel and Casino
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Jackpot
Reviewed March 18, 2008

Having acquired my aunt's 11-yr-old arthritic-hipped dog the day before I arrived at the Horseshu, I was apprehensive about their accommodations for pets. Access to the canine rooms is on the north end of the building for a straight walk-in to the room. I had a little trouble with the check-in staff explaining the canine rooms to me, but I may have just been stressed from a long day of driving and the "new dog" scenario. Anyway, the room was great: well furnished, did not smell of other dogs, big soft towels, and easy access for my old pooch. Suggestion: it would be nice if the hotel would put a dumpter by the parking lot so that I could have thrown my dog poop bags away in there, or else have a better garbage pickup schedule. I arrived on a Sunday night and the little trash receptable by the north end door was way overflowing. The only other alternative was to leave it in the room garbage can (yuck!). I didn't do it. There's lots of poop piles out there from other owners who either aren't responsible or couldn't find a place to put their bags either.

Stayed: March 2008
5  Thank Looner110

Reviewed February 4, 2008

We reserved a room for our return trip back home. We reserved a room for two nights,and had thought we could cancel a night if the hotel was bad. Anything that cheap could be questionable. We were so pleased with what we found. Very accomadating people, excellent and CLEAN rooms, great mexican restaurant and so comfortable. We have already booked our reservations for this year!!

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank muggs40
Reviewed November 23, 2007

We stayed here on a Sunday night for a rate of $29. Like a previous poster, we didn't expect much for that price. We couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised.
The room was very clean and fresh. A coffee pot was supplied. The linens were top notch --- better than we've been provided at some other, much more expensive properties.
One thing that annoys me in any hotel room is a shower head that is cheap or not working right. This room had a great shower head and I really appreciated it. A generous supply of toiletries were also included.
There is no question that we will stay here on our semi annual trips through Jackpot.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank PinkSoxusa
Reviewed September 29, 2007

I stayed at the Horseshu for one night on my recent weekend trip to Jackpot. I stayed here because they were the only hotel that allowed pets for this particular Saturday night. Check-in was a 3 PM, and I tried to check in early but was told no rooms were available. This is fair, but it would have been nice to get into the room a bit earlier, as I was sitting in my car with my dog for a few hours.

The rooms they give customers with dogs are called "canine rooms" and these rooms smelled terrible - like stale dog urine. The TV got poor reception, the soda machine on my floor was out of service, and the outdoor pool wasn't heated. There was no alarm clock in the room - so no way to know what time it was. And the casino was a short outdoor walk from the hotel rooms - so when it's snowing, as it was when I was there, it's a cold, miserable walk to get to the casino. There was no information about the hotel - the pool hours, etc. And the telephone didn't work. In addition, there was no high speed internet access.

The plus side - the hottub was quite hot, and large..better than most hottubs. The mexican restaurant attached to the casino was excellent - with great service. The shuttle bus driver told me that on Saturday nights, the "hot" women hang out at the country bar at the Horseshu casino -- so that might be something for you guys to keep in mind. There was a convenient shuttle bus that took you from casino to casino, but nobody let me know this when I checked in. I had to just learn it by myself.

I would not stay here again - I"ll leave my dog in boarding next time. In my opinion, the only place to stay in Jackpot would be Cactus Pete's. Unless you are on a serious budget, I'd spend the extra $20 to stay in a "real" hotel/casino.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank sdnewman21
Reviewed June 11, 2007

Rooms were nice and clean--not fancy but adequate.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank crazyfrper
Reviewed May 8, 2007

Based on the low rate we paid to stay we did not expect such a great room.
The room was large, very clean and nicely decorated.
The bed linen and bath towels were first class.
We were so pleased that we decided to stay on our return trip.
We have passed through jackpot many times but now will make this a regular stop on our way south and back.
Ken Owen

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank kenowen
Reviewed July 17, 2005

The Horseshu, owned by same corporation as Cactus Pete's, was where we stayed & was a great place in Jackpot for our one night stay in July 2005! Had to stay there rather than at Cactus Pete's as the Horseshu would accept our two poodles. Although a smoking room was required due to the pets (and we are non-smokers), the room was virtually smoke-free. Room was also exceptionally clean & spacious and we received a 10 percent discount with our AAA membership. Desk clerks were all very friendly & helpful. Clerk who checked us in offered the AAA discount, even though we didn't know about it when we reserved the room via the toll free reservation system. Beds at the Horseshu were very comfortable & we enjoyed our stay. Food at the Pancho Villa Restaurant in the casino was excellent! Food at the Cactus Pete's Buffet was plentiful & if you sign up for a Player's Club card, buffet is half-price on Wednesdays. Saved our party of five a total of $25. Highly recommend the Horseshu, although the casino is very small. Casino at Cactus Pete's across the street was fun, though & had lots of penny slots. Only downside at the Horseshu was you had to climb a few stairs no matter where you wanted to go in the hotel. Only downside at Cactus Pete's casino was that it was rather warm inside the casino while the air temp outside that evening was very cool.

• Stayed: July 2005