“A Little Neglected”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Jackpot
Reno, Nevada
“A Little Neglected”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

While our room was clean, there were no amenities to this place. No internet connection, small fridge or even a coffee pot in the room. Three lights were out above the mirror and there were no TV or dining guides in the room. This place is okay for a one night stay just to sleep, when passing through, but you barely get the basics.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FoxyBoomer
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Horseshu Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I’m sorry if you were not completely satisfied during your stay. In the future if you do ever encounter a problem with your room, please feel free to let our Cactus Petes front desk staff know and we will do our best to accommodate you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Had a great time. We spent some time in the hot tube but started to sprinkle so did not hit the pool. Casino is small but I like the bar and dance floor. Wish you had more live entertainment, music but played some on your jukebox. Love the blackjack games playing against the machine. Very realistic and fun. I also like the burritos downstairs at your restaurant.

Room Tip: Did not use the spa or fitness center. I was told by another guest to get a room on first floor by t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Art N
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Horseshu Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Art, thanks for sharing your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and your meal at Pancho Villas. Next time, you might enjoy checking out our open mic on Fridays and karaoke on Saturdays in the casino bar. Thanks for visiting and we hope to see you again soon!
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We've stayed at the Horseshu about a half dozen times over the past 10 or 12 years but it's been a few years since we were last there. We were disappointed to find that there is no wifi at the Horseshu, although there is across the street at the sister-property Cactus Pete's. Worst of all, though, was that the bed was extremely uncomfortable with a noticeable sag. My wife and I both woke up with sore backs. In addition, the curtains aren't "black-out" type so it gets light in the east facing rooms pretty early in the morning. In general, the rooms have not been kept up to standard as the years have passed and are getting pretty thread-bare.

On a positive note, the rooms are large and it's nice to get away a bit from the casinos.

Due primarily to the poor sleep we got on the first night and to the fact that there's no wifi, we upgraded and moved to Cactus Pete's for our 2nd and 3rd nights.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rob G
Cara M, Social Media Coordinator at Horseshu Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Hey Rob, we really appreciate your feedback. I'm sorry for any confusion or dissatisfaction during your stay. Horseshu Hotel does not currently offer wifi services, however with our recent remodel, all of the Cactus Petes rooms do have this amenity. We wish all of our guests to have a pleasant and comfortable stay when they visit us. We do value your feedback; please feel free to send us an email with details of your visit, including your room number, to AtYourServiceJP@Ameristar.com.
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I was not impressed, nor disappointed in the hotel room at the Horseshu Hotel. We stayed there by default, as Cactus Petes was full by the time we got there.

One has to go up several stairs outside to get indoors, and several steep more to get to the elevator. So if you pack heavy, be aware.

The room was a typical older room. I did not feel uncomfortable walking around without shoes, which I usually do..... But, the shower was EXCELLENT!!! Great for those 'slow' Sunday mornings. Typical shampoo/conditioner, etc.

We had a king size bed, which was very comfortable.

We were on the third floor, with a view of Cactus Petes through a pine tree. I have had worse, but not a bother.

There is no casino attached to hotel, but a short walk takes you to a nice size room full slots. It also has a bar where there is enough room to dance. They had karaoke the night we were there. We placed our names on the list, and were only called once. They have a band some nights. It seems the band was singing with the karaoke, and no one else got a chance. Bummer! (I hope management notices, and save the $$ paying them to be on stage, b/c we were not impressed)

Across the street is where you find Cactus Petes, and the main casino. Nice. Friendly. Smoky, as usual for a gambling establishment. (I just wish there was a non-smoking casino, not just an area of slots)

Nice place to get away if you don't want to worry about dressing up, seeing someone you know, and/or just want to gamble! We will go back.

Room Tip: Try Cactus Pete's first.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kps64
Alisha T, Social Media Manager at Horseshu Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to post your review. I'm happy to hear you will be coming back to visit again. Next time you stay with us, we recommend parking in the back of the building and going in through the back entrance, so you don't encounter as many stairs. Thanks for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed August 8, 2012

we were to be there for four nights. A wild fire borke out over the hill . My husband had been outside and came to tell to get the car puter and dog as we had to move. There was a lady there who asked me my room number told her and she had four other people and the shuttle there to help me to get all of our things. They put us up in the tower at catus petes for the rest of our stay. Again a big thank you to all the staff and for all the help. We will be back in sept ....

Room Tip: have a great time
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Alisha T, Social Media Manager at Horseshu Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Margann, I'm happy to hear that you found our staff to be helpful. We look forward to seeing you in September!
Abbotsford, BC
Reviewed July 31, 2012

The only reason I gave a 1 rating was because there was no 0...not motorcycle friendly , lied to by reservations, you couldn't pay me to come back here.

When I called to book a room, I explained that we were on motorcycles and had 7 bags to bring to the room. I was told that that wouldn't be a problem, there would be someone there to help us get all our stuff to the room, that's what the guy was paid to do. We asked for 1st floor....they gave us 4th. Not only was there no concierge, there wasn't even a baggage cart. I searched the entire 2nd floor for one. I had to phone the front desk and have security locate one for us. To add insult to injury, as soon as security gave us the cart, she went up the stairs to the 4th floor and met us at the elevator to make sure we were actually staying on that floor. And last but not least, there was no internet service at all in the building although we were assured that there was wifi.

A follow-up will be made after discussing these issues with the manager.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Patricia T
I'm sorry you were not happy with your experience at Horseshu. We value your feedback and are sending you a private message with our hotel manager’s contact information so that we can apologize and further discuss your stay with you.
Caldwell, Idaho, United States
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My husband and I have been sent the mail invitations from Cactus Petes a few times and every time we go down for a visit. We always ask to stay over at the Antelope and non-smoking and we always get a nice room facing the highway per our request. We have always been treated nice and friendly at the front desk by the clerks even though we are using their special offer. As seniors we appreciate this offer. We also always eat at the buffer because we go down on a Wednesday. Really nice selection and variety of food. Our room is always comfortable, clean and the air-conditoner or heat works for us. We use the elevator most of the time. We have used the stairs a few times but my husband has a heart conditon and is limited in climbing and we had plenty of room on it walking side by side. Finding the ice machine was no problem for us either. We prefer the quietness over there to the hustle bustle at Cactus. We would recommend Antelope to any customer that likes a good room for the money and quietness. Yes,a minor thing, you do have to go across the highway after check-in but we drive our car where ever we go so it doesn't matter to us. Thanks Cactus Petes for the room mails. We will be back!!!! Leroy and Mary Nickel Caldwell, Id.

Room Tip: Always ask your questions first while you are on the phone!!!!.Always make your requests up front an...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank charliebrown_12
Alisha T, Social Media Manager at Horseshu Hotel and Casino, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Leroy and Mary,
Thank you so much for staying with us and posting your review. I'm glad you enjoyed staying in the Antelope rooms and dining at Canyon Cove Buffet. We hope to see you again soon!