“Shakespeare under the sky with a twist”

Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Two years ago we saw Much Ado About Nothing here and were encouraged to come back this year to see Midsummer Night's Dream. Apparently the productions vary from fairly traditional to completely off the wall. Last time we were impressed by the way lightening and thunder heightened the meaning of the play. This performance was the latter. Wacky from beginning to end and I was struggling to find Shakespeare midst the music of Paul Simon and faux Beatlemania. Performances played to the far reaches of the outdoor ampi-theater, extremely broad with wild antics. Hermia won a long and lengthy applause for a cartwheeling gymnastic exhibition of emotion. Bottom couldn't be stopped from insisting on audience reactions a al Stephen Colbert. The food is good, the ambiance fantastic and, I guess, the chance of what you get in performance is part of the fun. Puck was excellent and all of the actors were accomplished and good but the production was way way way too long for such silliness.

Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

I'm not a Shakespeare fan, but worth going to. Sand Harbor is a spectacular venue. It's great to be able to bring your own dinner and wine and have a picnic on the beach before the show or at your seats. You must bring jackets and blankets. It gets cold. I don't think I will go to another Shakespeare play but I am hoping for other plays and concerts at Sand Harbor. We bought the least expensive unassigned seats in the upper level which were just fine. The view of the lake behind the stage was fantastic.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

It matters not if you are or are not a fan of Shakespeare, this company puts on a production every year that will entertain even those who swear they can't underhand the verbiage. I've attended for the last 10 years and always come away thoroughly entertained and this year's production of A Midsummer Night's Dream is so good, so many belly laughs, that I immediately came home and went online to purchase another set of tickets so as to take my husband. It just can't be missed. Now, true you the reader may be too late to attend this year but as I said I have not been disappointed in 10 years attendance and they just keep getting better and better. The amphitheater is outdoors and dining is al fresco so bring a blanket and emergency weather gear. You can bring your own picnic or buy from a very tasty menu. Those looking to imbibe will find wine and beer available as well. Reserved seating means you don't have to hustle or bustle or jockey for position though some SRO seating is available at every show so if you go this route either bring a blanket or your own lawn chair. Oh, and if you're from out of town there are great views of the lake coupled with magnificent sunsets.

1  Thank Joanne G
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The only thing that can ruin a Shakespear experience is if you get bad guests around you. Food is good, the performance is always great. Been here five times and loved them all!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

The venue is wonderful - but you don't need to buy Shakespeare tickets to take advantage of it. Just look up "Sand Harbor Incline Village" on tripadvisor. The performance was good, but nevertheless we had an awful evening.

We paid extra for seats with food service and planned on dinner at the show. The wait staff decided they were too busy to serve us and other people in surrounding seats. We spent the evening battling to get fed and upset about the process instead of enjoying ourselves. Who wants to watch Shakespeare when your stomach is growling. The food we finally got was OK but way overpriced.

If you decide to go anyway, bring your own picnic including beverages.

1  Thank Barry C