“Nice Hotel/Casino in Henderson”

Sunset Station Hotel and Casino
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Henderson
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed at the Sunset Station Hotel and Casino for 2 nights in April 2013, for a work conference.

The hotel is very large and located next to the freeway. The Hotel is surrounded by the parking lot.

The casino area was very large, nicely decorated and was very inviting and fun area.

The room was medium sized, nicely decorated and well maintained. There was a large flat screen television with cable channels and PPV. There is NO refrigerator, microwave or safe in the room, which is too bad because there is more than enough room for those items.

The bed and pillows were very comfortable.

The bathroom was on the small side, and could use a little more maintenance. The sink was separate from the toilet/tub area. My work colleagues, all in different rooms all had the same complaint; the water pressure in the shower was very weak, and it took a long time for the water to get hot.

I ate breakfast at the cafe, and dinner at the Mexican restaurant and the Italian restaurant. I found all three restaurants to have excellent customer services, good food, and reasonable prices.

One annoying aspect of getting to your room is that you have to show your room key to a security officer to get to the elevators (no problem there), but then you have to use your key to go up or down on the elevators. A couple of times my hands were full, and finding my key to access the elevator was a bit of a pain.

I thought the customer service was very good except for the hotel managers. Upon check-in there was an error with my nightly rate. Even thought I booked at the same time with my work colleagues, my rate was higher. When I brought this to the attention of the receptionist, they said they had to clear it with the manager. I could see them talking with the manager, but the manager never came over to me to explain the situation or fix the error. Instead they made me wait in the lobby for 20 minutes while the manager reviewed the recorded reservation to determine what rate I was quoted. After 20 minutes I told the receptionist, to let me go to my room, and just have the manager call me when the error is corrected. I was allowed to go the room, but the manager never called me. I found the mistake was corrected as I was checking out, and the correct rate was charged. Not sure why a manager could not have just came over to my and corrected the error on the spot when I checked in.

Because this is the nicest hotel casino that I saw in the Henderson area, I would probably stay here again, but only because of that reason.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SNAFU23
Write a ReviewReviews (1,007)

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was the fourth time my husband and I have stayed at the Sunset Station. Check in is always easy and quick. We were offered an upgrade via email prior to arriving. We chose the mini suite. The first room they gave us had recently been converted to non smoking. It was still too smokey for us. We called down, they had another mini suite available, so they sent up a bellman with the keys to the other room. It was no problem. The only complaint I have is, they don't have room service 24 hours, it ends around midnight and then resumes early in the morning. Otherwise it's always a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2013

You can do a Vegas vacation here with minors. Standard casino set up, will have go somewhere else for a show but that is normal wherever you stay most likely. However, there are kid activities like a "kid zone" where for $9/hr for up to 5 hrs. kids, say 6-12 can have a lot of fun, my 10 year old granddaughter had a blast, IMAX movie theatre and a sizable arcade.
Room was fine, nothing outstanding positive or negative. Good restaurants on site. About 15 minute easy drive to the strip. I really did like all the security especially near the elevators to the room, have to show a key to get to elevators, or use them once on.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We often stay at Sunset Station because we love the location. It is right off two highways with great shopping around. While it is not on the strip, it is not that far thanks to the highways. However, you will need a car to get to it and to get around from it. The rooms are a great size and a great value for the money. Because of this, they do get a lot of groups staying here, Most of the time they are not a problem. The housekeeping staff usually does a great job keeping the rooms in extremely clean condition. The towels are not the greatest and the shower head is really meant for shorter people, but the vanity space is great! Although we did not have a lounge chair in our room, we did have a table and two chairs. We love their restaurants for the quality and the prices. They try really hard to accommodate your want regarding rooms, and we did not have any wait to check-in. Davis at check-in was great. The only problem we had is that our non-smoking room had been recently converted over and the smoke smell in the room was very noticeable to us. Had we been staying for a longer period of time, we definitely would have strongly requested another room. The smoke smell was even in the pillows. If you are going to convert a room, you must really throw away the smoking smelly pieces even if it costs money. They have a fantastic pool, and the area is nicely decorated. Be aware that they also have a $15/day resort fee which is not that bed considering most of the hotels are also charging. That does get you your wifi hookup. This time we went bowling and had a great time. They have a great special weekdays before 10am. The maintenance does seem to be falling down a little, and we actually asked that the trash containers on our floor be cleaned because they were overflowing. Someone was dumping packing materials in the trash rather than using their room containers. Despite the shortcomings this time, we will definitely be back and would strongly recomment this hotel to others.

Room Tip: You can have a room that either overlooks the parking lot or the pool and garage. Ask for your choic...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jpad108
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed at the sunset in a king suite. These rooms are very large and worth it if you enjoy some relaxation time away from the casino. We were allowed to check in early, only to find ourselves in a room that had not yet been cleaned. The front desk quickly rectified the situation. The folks at the front desk were very friendly and accommodating and explained the resort fees clearly. I'm not crazy about the resort fees, but the are virtually everywhere in Las Vegas.

The room was clean and housekeeping staff efficient. In fact the entire casino and hotel staff were quite impressive. I actually appreciated the security fellas checking that everyone had a room card to enter the hotel area. We were also impresses with a particular bellman.

I was invited to take a survey via email from the hotel. The next day, I received a personalized email from the hotel manager. That leads me to believe that this hotel is sincerely trying to make everyone's stay as comfortable as possible and is dedicated to improving in every way possible. I like that, and we will return.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed 4 nights......Clean. roomy. will get you any thing you need..just ask..like frig..microwave..extra towels...fast to do it to!!!!did not go to gamble...visted a relative...did the strip...and all the extras......Please go Nipton Cal...not far from vagas...you will glad you did...We ate REAL MEXICAN food....cant wait to go again..Drove from ALabama....the only place to stay,,,so many places to eat there...bowling alley, movie theather, in the hotel!!!!!go have a good time we did.....Was not expensive...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank jonespollyr
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This was my second stay here at the Sunset Station. I knew about the resort fee going in, so that wasn't a big deal. It was still a super cheap stay for 4 days. We did not gamble at all, so we felt like we got a great deal. The kids loved the bowling alley and arcades. The pool is wonderful. This is not located on the strip and that is fine with me. It's a more relaxed atmosphere than anything on the strip. The beds are super comfortable. The bathrooms are small and the water pressure could be better. There is no microwave or refrigerator in the room, but I did request a refrigerator and had one in just a few minutes. There is a $10 charge for it per day, so you have to decide if it's worth it. We had great views of the mountains and Henderson, and we could see the strip from our room. Just be warned that it is a long walk from where you check in, eat, etc. back to the hotel rooms. But that wasn't a problem for me. The casino part is a very smoky place, so be prepared for that. We ate at the Grande Cafe several times and it was good. I would avoid the buffet. Just didn't feel like it was a good value for the money.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family