“Mixing Vegas and the Family is Possible”

Sunset Station Hotel and Casino
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Henderson
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We visited the hotel as my daughter had a gymnastics tournament in Henderson close by. The hotel was excellent across the board. It has a movie theatre and bowling in the hotel as well as an arcade. There was also a kids zone where they could play safely and supervised while my wife and I could go to the casino.

The restaurants were reasonable: the buffet was slightly lacklustre both in terms of variety and quality and though the food in the Oyster bar was very good the presentation was very poor and the drinks unforgivably skimpy.

I only have one major gripe. To get to the room you have to pass a guard who demands a room key irrespective of whether or not you walked past him a few minutes before. Being stranded downstairs with your family upstairs is incredibly annoying. I'm sure they are there for a reason but the lack of flexibility is not very customer friendly.

Overall though a good place to go with the family

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tom B
There are newer reviews for Sunset Station Hotel and Casino

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed here at the end of March when there were lots of families with children for a baseball tournament. We were unable to check-in early so my son and I wandered the property until 3:00 p.m. We spent all of our time at the Arcade, which had a fairly good amount of machines to keep my 9-year old busy. Most machines took two tokens (.50 cents worth) and he played for quite a while on $10.00. They do have a photo booth and an air hockey machine as well. We didn't use the bowling alley but they have 72 lanes and it looked clean and fun. They have a movie theater as well but there weren't any movies available we wanted to see or that were kid friendly.

We checked in at 3:00 p.m. and our room was fairly clean but very tired and in need of an update. The bed was comfortable and they didn't have two queens available so I called down for a roll-away, which was promptly brought to our room.

There were two double sinks with a nice amount of counter space and the toilet with shower/tub were in a separate room. There isn't a fan in the bathroom. The shower head was too low and would be for most people. The water took FOREVER to warm up and there were only leave two towels, which were on the smaller size and worn. The carpet outside our bathroom had dark stains on it. The a/c worked fine but we had to leave it at about 62 before it was cool enough.

We spent a few hours at the pool but the water was FREEZING cold and they don't have a hot tub. I ordered a Bud Light and it cost me $10.00 as they charge a $3.00 service fee and gratuity on top of each order.

The security throughout the casino was a little too much for me. In fact, I was breaking a larger bill at the 'bill breaking machine' near the lobby and a security guard came up to me and told me that my son couldn't stand there or I'd get a ticket. We were standing there two minutes at the most. In most casino's, if you're on the tiled walkway and not the carpeted areas of the casino, children are fine. Not at the Sunset Station. There was also a security guard posted at the entrance to the sleeping rooms and pool area. You were required to show a key before entering either.

We ate at the Grand Cafe for breakfast twice and it was reasonably priced with a great selection. We really enjoyed the $4.99 breakfast with eggs, bacon, hashbrowns and toast. We didn't eat at the other restaurants but the property is host to Ben & Jerry's Scoop Shop, Fatburger, Feast Buffet, Cabo Mexican Restaurant, Hooters, The Oyster Bar, Panda Express, Pasta Cucina, Sbarro, Strike Zone Snack Bar, Sonoma Cellar Steak House, Starbucks, Subway and Viva Salsa. Most restaurants are of the fast-food variety.

I did sign up for the Rewards card and gambled a tiny bit. I certainly didn't come up ahead. I was told the card is good for discounts at the buffet.

The parking garage is on the opposite end of the hotel tower entrance but there is a large parking lot near the entrance to the sleeping rooms. The only issue with that is there are stairs up to the entrance, which makes it difficult for hauling luggage or for folks with disabilities.

The resort fee with tax was $16.94 per night. We stayed on a Friday and Saturday night and our average room rates were $94.00 per night. I would not stay here again for that price. And, if you're looking for convenience to the strip, this is not it. It takes approximately 20 minutes to get to the strip.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kairlotta
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We stayed at the Sunset Station Hotel on our way back from Grand Canyon. We were just looking for a place to sleep for the night. Booked it on hotel.com for cheap and was very pleased. Parking was right by the doors to the elevator. Our room was large and clean!! We needed more towels, called down and within 15 minutes they were brought up. Security was tight, but that's okay. You must show room card in order to go on elevators. Large selection of restaurants -- we ended up eating at the Mexican, which was delicious. After a good night's sleep, we left the next morning for our early flight out. Would stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2013

After traveling all day with two small children - I was only looking for someplace to sleep for the night. The exit sign stated there was a Holiday Inn Express and a Comfort Inn at this exit. After going several blocks - I couldn't find either and just gave up and pulled in at Sunset Station. The room rate was reasonable ($55 a night) - but the parking is insane. There is a separate hotel entrance around the side of the building so you don't have to go through the casino floor. The entrance is up a flight of stairs - no ramp - so you have to carry luggage (and children) up the stairs. The room was spacious and seemed clean - but there were only two full sized towels in the room - and there was very little hot water. I bathed my children at night and took my shower in the morning - both were at best lukewarm. We also made the mistake of ordering room service. We were told the food would be in our room in 20 - 25 minutes - 45 minutes later it finally showed up. We ordered three orders of pancakes and three glasses of milk. We only received two sets of silverware - and the price of the room service (for pancakes and milk) was more than the room rate. INSANE! I would not stay here again - ever! I wish I had driven a few more blocks and looked for another hotel!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Have stayed at Sunset in the past and had previously enjoyed our stay. Had a couple of problems with the front desk this time and it put a damper on our trip. It's funny how you start looking at things in a negative light if you start in a bad mood.
When we checked in were told that no King sized beds were available even though we had booked three months ahead. Our friends who checked in two hours after us were given a kingsize bed two doors down from our room.
We had booked the Bed and Breakfast deal but were not told by the front desk that the free breakfast was only good at the buffet. We ate the first day at the diner and had to pay for our breakfast.
When we went for breakfast at the Buffet the next day the cashier told us we would have to pay the difference between the discount rate and the full rate for breakfast because we didn't have our players club cards. We did get this straightened out at the front desk when we checked out but it was anoying.
We have stayed here a few times but probably won't go back. I usually don't complain about service, I just don't give them my business anymore.

Room Tip: Insist on what you booked.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Living in Las Vegas offers many options when it comes to staying at hotels. Sunset Station is an extreamly clean, and friendly local place to stay off strip. The rooms are quite large for a deluxe room and the bathroom is stocked with all amenities you need. The king bed is comfortable and relaxing. The hotel offers many inexpensive restaurants and the buffet is very reasonably priced. Many slot and video poker games throughout and table games. Sports book is fun! They also have a bowling alley and movie cinema. This is a nice, comfortable, fun place to spend off strip.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer a better view of the strip. Ask for a southern side room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed here because we had to take care of some business in Henderson. The room was nice and clean. The on site restaurants are very good and reasonably priced. It is a bit of a hike to drive to the Strip. The table limits are comparable to downtown, you can still play $5 blackjack here. My son enjoyed the bowling. I recommended this hotel if you plan to visit Henderson.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henderson
Fiesta Henderson Casino Hotel
Hilton Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
Comfort Inn & Suites Henderson
Hilton Garden Inn Las Vegas/Henderson
Best Western Plus Henderson Hotel
Sam's Town Hotel and Gambling Hall

Been to Sunset Station Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!