“GREAT PLACE OFF THE STRIP”

Sunset Station Hotel and Casino
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Henderson
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

This was a great place to stay, off the strip with plenty to do. Once you've stayed on the strip a few times the shock and awe go away. We were shocked at how large the room was for a casino hotel very nice. If you can, ask for a higher floor so you get some view. The room was clean and well decorated. House keeping and other staff were very attentive to any needs even though this was a 4 night comp stay. Lots of good choices for food, and if you get tired of gambling go see a movie at the theater inside the casino or go bowling also inside the casino. This was our first trip to Vegas that we didnt go to the strip even once.The outlying casinos have plenty to offer if you want a bit of a slower pace. Overall this was a great stay in our 3500 mile road trip. Hope this helps.

• Stayed: January 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,007)

Reviewed January 6, 2013

we booked this because it was cheep and it looked like it was close to the strip , it isnt ! so cost us lots in taxis .the rooms were dated the bathroom was old but the beds were comfortable
The food was cheep in the hotel but the casino was old fashioned
When we checked out they charged us for the gym , which we didnt even know they had and when i complained that they hadnt told us about this charge or even that was a gym they said nothing
really woulnt recommend if you dont have children or are under the age of 70 !

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank BEVERLEYANNE32
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I will start this review with a bit of a back-story. We never planned on staying here, I had actually never even heard of it before. We were in Vegas for our wedding & had a Groupon to stay at the Green Valley Ranch. Well the GVR had massively over-booked themselves & decided to bump all of the Groupon-users to their sister properties. I understand this happens, but the room was booked for the night before my wedding and the night of my wedding (so we could get away from the hustle & bustle of the strip where we were getting married) Needless to say I was insanely NOT IMPRESSED!!! (to be fair GVR did do a decent job at taking care of things & making sure I was somewhat satisfied, but I will NOT be staying there even with the promised free nights I've been offered) Back to the Sunset Station....

I arrived late in the evening with my mother & sister. I was very unhappy due to the events that had happened, but did my best to not take it out on the SS. I reached the front desk after a woman basically told the guy off (another happy Groupon person who was bumped) The gentleman was more than accommodating & very sweet when I busted out into tears for the millionth time that day. He checked his system & apologized he could not give us a suite as the hotel was at capacity due to the GVR mess up, I had not even asked for this. We went up to our room & found it to be very large and clean. We had a nice meal at the Italian restaurant (name slips my mind right now)

The next day I spoke to the GVR who then called a manager & managed to get me & my husband changed to a HUGE suite for our wedding night! It was beautiful and had a bar & living room & was just amazing! It was just the 2 of us, but it was so nice to have such a lovely space after dealing with so much stress!

Basically everything at the SS was beyond expectations. The Italian restaurant was delicious, the buffet was great for the price (free in our case, but I would gladly pay the prices they list), the staff was incredible & the casino had a wonderful vibe & we were able to stretch our dollars and play a long while.

We are happily planning on coming back next time we are in Vegas to enjoy a night away from the strip. Thank you Sunset Station for saving the day for our wedding :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank graymoose
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We spent a night here just before New Year's, and got a great rate. Imagine our surprise when we checked in and got a an upgrade to a King Suite. The suite was HUGE, with amazing views from floor to ceiling windows in both the living room and bedroom (it's a corner suite), had 5 telephones, a wet bar with fridge, two large flat-screen TV's, three closets, a powder room, and a huge bathroom with a jacuzzi tub, separate shower, his & her sinks & make-up vanity. There was also a living room and dining area. We did not want to leave when our check out time rolled around... If you can get an upgrade to this suite, it really is lovely, and I would highly recommend it.

Wi-Fi was included along with a paper in the reasonable "resort fee", and there is a Starbucks downstairs for the morning. We also enjoyed the "Gaudi bar", reminded us of our trip to Barcelona!

Room Tip: the higher the floor the better the view!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank snooksinK.C.
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Visited family that live in Henderson on this Pre Xmas trip. First ,this station property is a great value. Had a king room that was clean and comfortable. Loved the Starbucks in the casino, very convenient for a cup on the go. Parking was free and easily accessible. Even though I knew ahead of time about the resort fees I think they are a rip off considering its winter and you cannot use the pool. However the Internet was free. Our housekeeper was very nice and gave us extra pillows and towels. This is a great place to stay if you are looking for a local experience but stay on the strip for the complete Las Vegas sensation.

Room Tip: Go for the deluxe king or junior suite
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Asaptraveler
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Away from the Las Vegas strip, in the southeastern part of town, is Sunset Station Hotel and Casino. This casino is such a good value, with hotel rooms as low as 20 dollars a night. As a local, I was wary at first because I didn't know if it would be old and broken down. Instead, I found the hotel room to be quite nice, the hallway quiet, and a good, relaxing getaway. Downstairs in the main casino floor, there are plenty of slots to be had, and the playing area is nice and brightly lit, not like some of the other casinos where everyone is figuratively and literally playing almost in the dark. In addition, there is a 24-hour bowling alley for the kids, a great movie theater, and a good selection in the buffet.There is a 24-hour-cafe, Grand Cafe, but I would avoid it in the future as they overcharge for orange juice and tea (2 dollars for bagged tea that I could make better, and 1.75 for a small cup of orange juice), and go straight for the buffet. I signed up for a player's card, and the morning buffet was discounted to 5.99, and the dinner was only 9.99. While the buffet isn't as fancy as the Bellagio or Paris (no blood oranges or brie cheese), the cooking is still quality, and the food still tastes great, with a good selection of American-style dishes, a carving station, a Chinese station, and pasta and pizza.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank nvccsd
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband and I booked a package which contained one night's accomodations, 2 movie tickets, and 2 dinner buffets for about $80. While he took in two movies, I took in the penny slots. The slot selection is great, with many new machines I had not seen before, as well as the old standards. I managed to stretch my pennies into several hours of play and had a great time. I did well on one machine and then left it, and couldn't find it an hour or so later. A very nice attendant looked it up on a computer and brought me right to it. Love the music in the casino, too.
Our room was large, very clean, and the bed was comfortable. We ate dinner at the buffet and breakfast in the cafe, as we had to check out before the buffet opened. Both meals were excellent and the service was attentive. The desk check in clerk even helped us with our boarding pass. After having been to LV 20+ times, we much prefer the off strip properties, as we find your money goes farther and it is more personal. We hope to include Sunset Station in a future visit.

Room Tip: Ours faced away from the strip and we had a gorgeous sunrise view. We have stayed on the other side...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple