“Sunset Station...nothing bright about this property”

Sunset Station Hotel and Casino
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Henderson
San Francisco, California
“Sunset Station...nothing bright about this property”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

granted, the rooms here are quite cheap - 40-60 a night and sometimes more depending the time, but basic hotel comforts, functionality and common sense should be present whether low prices or full prices for a hotel stay. I have stayed in a variety of places in Vegas, all varying prices and this was the worst situation ever. Surprising though because I recently stayed at Green Valley Resort which is owned by same parent company, and Sunset Station was terrible.

Check in was great. Front desk staff was great at "check-in". Often times, in many industries the customer service initially is great and then tends to go down hill. I was in the hotel for 5 nights and 4 of the days there was no hot water for a shower or even through the sink. Calls to the front desk and engineering went nowhere except one morning, the front desk person told me there was a serious problem on the 9th floor - which I was on. No communication that the problem was corrected or would not be corrected. Nothing. When calling to front desk numerous times, no one seemed to care or know what was going on.

Food was cheap at the Grand Cafe and consistently good. What was not consistent was the cost of food, given the fact that I ate the same meal each day for 3 days - 2 eggs, bacon and side of fruit. The first day - $7.53, 2nd day - $8.69 and 3rd day -$10.79. Very strange if you ask me. Not that a couple of dollars is an issue or a problem, but consistency would be nice.

Rooms were clean each day, like clock work and housekeepers were very friendly and nice. Rooms a bit outdated but what is to be expected at a property that does not care about its guests.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank globbiztravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

This property is starting to get a little worn. The wallpaper was peeling in some spots and it took several minutes to get hot water in the shower. The staff is friendly, although the service in the Sonoma Steakhouse was not quite up to par this last visit. For a great restaurant I expect the service to be at least as good as at IHOP. The resort fee is annoying, but I understand the rationale.

The workout room was pretty nice, with newer machines and everything was well maintained.

Room Tip: Ask if any of the rooms were recently renovated.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Let me say that I had a nice experience at the Palace Station in Vegas some years back, and that this hotel had a nice ambiance and the rooms were big and comfortable, albeit no refrigerator or safe to be found inside. Having booked the room on Expedia, last minute, perhaps I am to blame for not reading the fine print. It was nonetheless most aggravating to be told by the front desk upon check-in that there was a nearly $17.00 per night resort fee on a room charge of $33 and some change!
All I could see on the Expedia voucher was that the taxes were included, as was complimentary internet. What irked me the most was when the front desk agent told me that the complimentary internet was "included" in the resort fee. How bogus is that?
If internet service is complimentary, then being included under the auspice of a "resort fee," does not make it complimentary. In my opinion, it's the ultimate wordplay and fine print ripoff. Sunset Station and Expedia should scrutinize this practice in the future, so they won't lose customers, as they have surely lost my patronage. I wonder if the "free" parking was "included" in the resort fee too?

Room Tip: No view of the strip from any room, so maybe better to stay on the strip!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Herb V
New jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

My third stay at this hotel and look forward to returning. Great food choices, bars, movie theater, bowling alley, nightclub. This place has everything but the crowds of the strip. Lots of low limit tables and loose video poker machines. The best is the Gaudi Bar in the center of the casino. Freindly bartenders, and healthy pours, especially if your playing pkoer at the bar, and the architecture and design of the bar is a tribute to Antonin Gaudi of Barcelona.
I stay in the King suite that is 1000 square feet, with bar, living room, dining area, 2 bathrooms, and king bedroom. I would pay 2 to 3 times for this suite on the strip. The employees are outstanding, whether dealers, servers, front desk staff, housekeeping etc... Clearly the management is doing a good job. The only downside for some is the long walk to the hotel elevators, but I enjoy walking off some of the food I had at the buffet.

Room Tip: Go for the King suite
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Although we stay at other hotels while in las vegas Sunset Station is my favorite hotel. The staff are friendly and it's always nice to see a familiar face. Our room attendant Linda was excellent.
I always ask for a feather pillow and even though we have a KS room they always accommodate my request.
Another favorite is the Asian Station at the Feast Buffet. We ate there 4 times and that was my dinner each time. The cooks are remarkable!!!!! I can't wait for our next visit.
The pool area is a beautiful oasis, the only thing is it could be heated for the fall months.
It is truly a resort stay with lots of shopping, movie theatre and of course gambling.
I tell my friends even if you don't gamble it's a great place to vacation.

Room Tip: This is our tenth stay in the last few years and i can honestly say we have never had a room that we...
1 Thank mitsaylo3
Sedona, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

When I visit a city, I don't want to pay a fortune just for a room I am not going to be in very much. I prefer to spend the extra money on a show or a good restaurant. This is the place. For a while I lived and worked in Henderson and used to go to the Sunset for the slots. I've been to lots and lots of casinos in Nevada, Illinois and Arizona, but I think the payouts are really fair here.
Avoid the main cafeteria; the food is only mediocre. I do recommend the Sonoma Cellar for privacy and good food. Service is excellent. Got discounts for shows in Las Vegas, and had a nice vacation away from my usual routine.

Room Tip: Choose your room at the east end away from the casino.
1 Thank Shefjames
Northern Oregon Coast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed at Sunset Station Hotel and Casino on our trip going to Arizona. Very convenient off the interstate, but when I had booked this room weeks before by phone directly, no one mentioned the resort fee at all. Before we even left for our vacation they had charged the room to our credit card, not just a hold! Upon arriving we were told there was wifi and given the code. The restaurants are expensive, and a regular cup of coffee was also expensive! The slots are extremely tight (we know this because we love casinos)! The room was nice but the wifi did not have enough signal to do anything. When we checked out is when we were slammed with the resort fee and it was the first we had heard about it. Almost $20 added and charged on top of the already paid room. So beware! We will never stop at Sunset Station again.

Room Tip: Really, go somewhere else unless all you want to do is sight see a pretty casino!
4 Thank Beachy50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henderson
Fiesta Henderson Casino Hotel
Hilton Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
Comfort Inn & Suites Henderson
BEST WESTERN PLUS St. Rose Pkwy/Las Vegas South Hotel
BEST WESTERN PLUS Henderson Hotel
Sam's Town Hotel and Gambling Hall

Been to Sunset Station Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!