“Great place to stay and play!”

Sunset Station Hotel and Casino
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Henderson
Gold Canyon, Arizona
“Great place to stay and play!”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Sunset Station is more of a "locals" hotel and casino. It is not on or near The Strip but offers a world of family entertainment as well as concerts, gambling and dining for the adults. Great hotel deals can be found to reduce the cost of your stay. Good buffet, not the best in town but reasonable food at reasonable prices. Friendly staff and clean rooms. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Tuolumne, California
Reviewed September 8, 2011

told me one price on phone did not say anything about hotel tax and resort fee felt scammed

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Kishargal H
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2011

We booked this trip (2 Couples, late 20's) for 1 night at the start of our holiday as we were driving to Grand Canyon after. We landed in Vegas around 7pm from the UK and headed straight to the hotel.
Location is good, it's only a short drive from Vegas itself, Walmart across the way which we love for food/drink shopping and some restaurants close by, although there is plenty in the hotel.
Check in was quick and easy. As it was a honeymoon we were upgraded which was lovely. Room was great, clean, and big. Beds were super comfy and we had a fantastic sleep. We only paid £20.00 for the night (from Expedia), so it was a bargain.
Headed downstairs to the casino after dropping our bags. Only ate in Subway as we were tired and didn't fancy a big meal.
We had a couple of drinks in the bar and they are much cheaper than Vegas.
Unfortunately we didn't get to see the pool as we checked out at 8am the next day.
Overall we were thoroughly pleased with the hotel and would stay there again and would recommend to anyone.
Even though it is cheap, we didn't feel like it was lacking in any way and wish we had booked it for another night on the way back before heading to Vegas.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sashypops
vancouver bc canada
Reviewed September 4, 2011

No,not talking about the sunset. I'm talking about a hotel in Henderson area of Las Vegas. My brother and I went to LasVegas to search for property. The agent suggested we stay at 'The Sunset Station". I had never been there before and didn't no what to expect.. It was a nice surprise. The hotel was as good as any on the strip and at one quarter the price. It was a very clean hotel with excellent amenities. I counted 8 restaurants in the hotel. The food was better than many hotels I have stayed at on the strip and at a very reasonable price. The buffet was tasty and cost only 5.99 with the players card discount. The pool was enormous and great for kids. The price of the room was 27dollars per night plus a 16 dollar charge for amenities or 43 per night. This was not disclosed until checkout but was the same as other hotels in Vegas. The car rental was more than the hotel. The staff were very friendly and they said they had to be good because most of the business came from locals.. I told my granddaughter about the hotel when I got back and she told me that she had stayed here with her "soccer" team when they were playing a tournament in Vegas last year. She really liked it too and said they loved the 100 lane bowling alley and the movie theaters in the hotel. I would recommend this hotel to any families wanting a nice cheap vacation for a few days.

Room Tip: book in advance
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank jcrt31
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed August 30, 2011

The room itself was attractive with a nice view of the mountains. It was very spacious and had a large vanity in the bathroom (could have had two sinks instead of one). Our biggest complaint was that the room did not have a mini refrig., a safe or a coffee maker. These are usually pretty standard in rooms. Also, the bed was very hard for our liking. But overall, for the great price we got the room, it was more than expected. Had we paid full price, we would not have been happy.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor -- the view is wonderful
1 Thank Linda B
Vancouver
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We've stayed here several times over the years. This time we stayed 3 nights with our two kids (ages 1 and 8 years old). My parents also stayed here too. The hotel is about a15-20 minute drive from the rental car facility. A rental car is definitely recommended because the hotel is no where near the strip and other popular Las Vegas destinations. Henderson is a great neighborhood. The hotel is located directly off the highway and across from a shopping mall. It is very convenient with a Walmart, 99 cent store, and Target close by. Also, a Carl's Jr and Del Taco is within walking distance of the hotel. There are other restaurants (some Asian restaurants, In n Out, and McDonalds, etc) nearby as well.
We dropped our car off with the valet. Valet attendants are fast and friendly. Check in was smooth and fast. No line and thus no wait. The lady at check in was nice and friendly. She checked both my Mom and I into our rooms. We asked for connecting rooms and were assigned a King Bed room and a room with 2 Queens on the 11th floor (non-smoking floor). It is quite a walk from the lobby to the hotel rooms. You can park your car nearer to the rooms, but there are stairs you need to walk up and no ramp when you have luggage or a stroller to bring in.
You need a key to access the elevators to the room as well as the door from the parking lot and pool.
There are 4 elevators and there is usually isn't much of a wait for the elevators. The rooms were averaged sized. With connecting rooms, it gave my two kids plenty of room to walk around and play. Our rooms had a view of the parking lot.
The bathroom is divided. The sink area with large counter is separated by a door to the toilet and shower/tub. The toilet and shower area could use brighter lighting and fan ventilation. Water pressure and drainage was very good. There was always plenty of hot water for us.
A soda vending machine ($2 for a bottled soda/water) and ice machine is located on every floor near the elevators. Very convenient because we bought a Styrofoam cooler from Walmart that we used to keep our waters and beverages cold throughout our stay. There is no refrigerator in the room. And it is $10/day for a refrigerator if you want one.
We requested a crib and it was brought to our room within 15 minutes. However, the crib was metal and the mattress was very thin and was too small for the crib. It didn't look very comfortable. Luckily, we brought our pack n play just in case and we used it instead of the crib. We had housekeeping take away the crib the next morning.
The beds are very comfortable and we all slept well. The A/C in the room kept our rooms cool, even though it was 110 degrees outside! Although, the A/C unit can be loud when it turns on and it goes on and off quite a bit. The TV was a tube and not a flatscreen LCD or plasma. Basic channel selection. There is no desk. Just a small table with 2 chairs. The room could be a brighter at night, but it was OK.
It would have been nice to have an in-room safe. Housekeeping starts cleaning rooms at 9am. All of the housekeeping staff we met were friendly and nice.
We went to the pool twice during our stay in the morning before it got too hot. The pool area is very nice and the pool was perfect for my two kids. It's about 3.5 feet at the deepest. But, there is a very shallow part of the pool (ankle deep) that my 1 year old loved. The pool wasn't very crowded in the morning and there were plenty of chairs when we went. It looks like you can rent a cabana for the day if you want. There was always a lifeguard on duty.
The Feast Buffet was good for the price. Breakfast Mon-Sat is only $4.99. Lunch is $7.99 and Dinner and Sunday brunch is $9.99. Decent selection and OK quality. Sometimes there is a long line. Luckily, the hotel resort amenity fee includes a line pass for the buffet. So, you just go the guest line and show the cashier your key.
The Grand Cafe restaurant next to the lobby was also good. Although, I only tried their $3.99 breakfast special (2 eggs, sausage or bacon, hashbrowns, and toast). I also ordered some bakery items (muffins and donuts). There is Starbucks right next to the cafe for you coffee people.
My 8 year old son loved the small arcade and KidsQuest. He went there a few hours every day during our stay. There is big play structure in KidsQuest and also an iPad station that he really enjoyed.
There is a Panda Express, Sbarro, Fatburger, Subway, and Ben and Jerry's as well as a Regal Cinemas nearby the KidQuest area.
The casino itself is large with plenty of slot machines. There are some newer slots but a lot of slot machines. The casino can get smoky and there looks like a lot of locals playing there.
Overall, our stay was really nice and we had a very nice time at Sunset Station. It is a solid 2.5 - 3 star hotel. The hotel is good for families which is why we chose to stay there. If we didn't have the kids, we would have stayed at Red Rock (a sister hotel). You should definitely get a player's card. We got an offer in the mail and I used it this time and our room was completely free! We didn't even have to pay the resort fee! My parents got the same offer sand their room was also comped.

2 Thank waiomaogirl
So Cal
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Stayed one night on the way home from a longer vacation. I’m sorry to say our experience was very different from other reviewers’.

• It was poorly lit outside when we arrived, and there was nobody at the valet station.
• We had reserved two rooms at a bed & breakfast rate. The restaurant was not stated; at check-in I confirmed the deal and asked if we needed a coupon or anything. Clerk said no, just give your room number. She did not tell me we needed to go to a specific place. Perhaps if it hadn’t been after 11pm and we hadn’t been on the road for 14 hours I might have thought to ask, but I shouldn’t have needed to. More on that later.
• With a smile, the clerk handed me a notice alerting guests that hot water would be unavailable the next day after 11am due to planned maintenance. Checkout, however, is at noon. Delightful!
• Room (501) was on the small side but looked ok. However, there were only two rather dim lights in the main area. The clock was set an hour behind (I fixed) and the tv remote didn’t work. (Maintenance took care of it.)
• Discovered we were directly over the floodlights lighting up the hotel name. The place was nowhere near full, so why were those rooms assigned?
• The single sink (it’s a double room) was slow draining. Ick. In the morning, the same proved true of the shower. Ick ick ick.
• There is no coffeemaker. There is, however, a $14.99 resort fee (plus tax) which covers use of the pool, fitness center, wifi, gift shop discounts (none of which we used) and daily newspaper (which we would have read had it been delivered). Hotel industry, just stop lying and add this back into the room rate already!
• I would have said the room was clean, but while picking up stuff I had dropped from my wallet, I was confronted with tootsie rolls and a water bottle under my bed. Now I realize there are plenty of worse things to find under the hotel bed, but ideally you find nothing. Nothing at all! The discovery of trash does cause you to cast an uneasy eye over other room surfaces.
• Breakfast. Oy. Ok, walking past the one restaurant that’s between the tower and registration, we were hailed by the rest of our group and went in. Informed the hostesses we had a b&b deal and one made a non-committal noise. The other led us to a table and disclaimed any knowledge of the deal with an “oh, we have so many specials we don’t know them all”. Not encouraging. We mentioned the deal again to our waitress (who really irritated my senior citizen mother by continually referring to us as “girls”; guess she doesn’t win at poker). As we were reading the menu, she returned with the manager, who informed us that the b&b deal applied to the Feast Buffet only. Well, that was irritating for us, but our family members had already eaten, not having been informed of this pesky detail. We headed off – “Enjoy your day, girls!” - while they tried to sort theirs out.

At Feast, the hostess wanted to charge the meals to my room. Now, at this point I was super irritated and the place had no credibility on anything, even an under-$10 breakfast. I was not about to sign for a penny, but she insisted this was the only way to do it – charge to my room there, hotel would credit it back later. I’ve never done this before, but I actually wrote “NO” on the slip and the manager just gave us a table. A bad one in the middle of traffic, which I refused – never done that either! – before snagging one a little off to the side. Which the manager said was in a closed area, but he would try to ask someone “to take care of us”.

Feast Buffet food itself was fine – choices included an omelet station and the usual waffles, eggs, cereal etc, plus dinner food. If this had been specified at any point, I would have been perfectly happy with it.
• Hotel charged rest of family full price for their breakfasts. I’ve recommended they dispute it. I was also very candid on the survey I was sent, but have heard nothing back.

So, was anything good about the place? Oh, sure. For a stopover hotel, I just wanted clean, comfortable, safe and good value. Well, it was safe, and the beds were comfortable. However, the room issues and cascading b&b problem left a really bad taste and definitely put the value in the basement. Given the number of people involved, I can’t chalk it up to one employee having a bad day. The thing is, objectively this would have been the nicest place of the entire trip. But it’s the only one where I felt not just nickel-and-dimed but outright cheated.

2 Thank JenAzz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henderson
Fiesta Henderson Casino Hotel
Hilton Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
Hawthorn Suites By Wyndham Las Vegas/Henderson
Best Western Plus Henderson Hotel
Comfort Inn & Suites Henderson
Sam's Town Hotel and Gambling Hall

Been to Sunset Station Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!