“Nice Restaurant for Locals”

Black Mountain Grill
Ranked #77 of 702 Restaurants in Henderson
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: With a lodge-like atmosphere & spacious restaurant, Black Mountain Grill offers a world class menu and exciting gaming action, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Happy Hour DAILY 2pm-7pm • 1/2 Price Late Night Menu SUN-THUR 11pm-6am. BOGO 50% TUESDAYS 3PM-9PM • WINE WEDNESDAYS 3PM-9PM • BOGO SATURDAYS 11AM-2PM. Home of the Denver Broncos. Wine & Canvas venue (Thursdays).
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My wife bought a $50 for $25 Groupon for Black Mountain Grill, so we decided to go there for our anniversary (October 2012). We had reservations for 7pm but arrived around 6:30pm to have a drink or two. The hostess was very nice and offered us a table right then but we went over to the lounge area instead and had some drinks while we waited for a booth.

The lounge area was nice, with a few tall tables and couches placed around a TV. The decor is rustic, with stuffed heads on the wall and the feel of of a log cabin. I didn't go to the bar but my wife did to order drinks and she said the bartender was also very nice.

We were seated around 7pm and the dining area seemed a little small to me. I noticed a staircase/loft nearby but I didn't go check it out, so maybe there's more seating there or perhaps an area for private parties. Also, the decor in the dining area was a little cheesy compared to the lounge area - it almost reminded me of a Denny's.

Having looked at the menu online beforehand, I already knew what I wanted to order. They list their specials for the week on their website and the special that night was a bacon-wrapped filet with au-gratin potatoes and french green beans. The waiter said they only had one "special" left and I told him that's what I wanted. He did say that if we both wanted the special, they could make another bacon-wrapped filet but it wouldn't come with the au-gratin potatoes. Fortunately, my wife ordered the halibut so no issue there.

I read some of the reviews about the food being not so good, but both my wife and I thought our food was delicious! My filet was cooked to a perfect medium, and the potatoes and green beans were fabulous. I tried a bite of my wife's halibut and it was very good as well. I also read about some people getting poor service but fortunately we did not experience that either, as our waiter/bus boy were very attentive.

I felt the price was reasonable (the special was $29 and my wife's dinner was $25), maybe a little on the high side for what it is but since the food was great, I didn't mind. Overall, my wife and I both had a very nice experience and plan on going back again.

1  Thank mswguitar

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Third Time was not the charm for us.

My Fiancée and I stopped here for dinner on Thursday night, 08/30/12. It was our 3rd time at this restaurant. The 2nd time we just ordered the burgers on a 2 for 1 on a Saturday (special runs 11:00 am -1:00pm).

It is located in the back of the shopping center near Wendy's. The address is 11021 S. Eastern Ave. however; the street in front is Sunridge Heights Pkwy. So you will not see the restaurant from S. Eastern Ave. This is a “Dining and Gambling Establishment”, however there is no closed wall separating the two sections. We were concerned about smoke coming from the bar area into the eating area. The restaurant was nice and quiet, two other couples in a booth at 7:30 PM.

My Fiancée ordered the Thursday Special, which was two pork chops with roasted potatoes covered in a apple chutney sauce - $21. A glass of the House Red wine - $6.

The porkchops were over cooked and dry, thin cut average breakfast chop. They were not your best cut of chop. The roasted potatoes were very soft and had no flavor.

I ordered the 8oz Hamburger (Medium) with cheese, grilled onions and fries - $10.50.

The burger was done well, slightly pink in the middle. The grilled onions were about 10 - 2" pieces on top of the cheese. I told the waiter that they looked pitterful. He went back to the kitchen and returned about 8 min later with 1/2 grilled red onions (a bit crunchy). The fries were not your normal steak fries, thinner and they look like they were coated with something?????.

I also ordered a side of French Onion soup - $4. It was good and the best part of the meal.

Total check damages - $44.86 (plus a tip of $9) for the evening.

This place could use a visit from Robert Irvine, from Restaurant Impossible, to improve the food quality. They try and make it appear to be upscale and they charge the prices as if it was upscale. However, the food served here falls way short of upscale.

Rates: C-
Rates a Return: NO! It was just not worth the price for what you get. Take a pass!
Service: Average

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Service is slow so don't go if you are in a rush and sometimes I suspect the cook is not the regular cook but a substitute as the quality of the same dish can vary but in general, a nice ambiance and good food.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

My Fiancée and I stopped here for dinner on Wednesday night, 06/20/12. It is located in the back of the shopping center near Wendy's. The address is 11021 S. Eastern Ave. however; the street in front is Sunridge Heights Pkwy. So you will not see the restaurant from S. Eastern Ave.

The restaurant was nice and quiet, one other couple in a booth at 7PM. You could call it a little hideaway for romantic couples. Nothing fancy (no table cloths) but, they will seat you when you arrive. At first we thought it was a seat yourself area.

They have a Buy 1 dinner entrée get one ½ price special on Tuesday’s 3-9 PM and a 2 for 1 lunch special on Saturday. The special on Wednesday is Buy 2 Entrées and get a bottle of wine ½ price 3-9PM.

We ordered the Asian Chicken Salad ($10) and a Full Rack of ribs dinner with mashed or backed potato ($20). A Dinner Salad is $4 extra and splitting a plate is a $2 charge.

The Asian Chicken Salad was good but, it could have used a bit more dressing. The BBQ Ribs were also good but I didn’t think they were fall of the bone tender. The mashed potatoes were fresh, not boxed.

When it came time for paying the bill, the returned payment folder lacked the loose change I expected. I was a little miffed at the $0.62 shortage in the returned change. We just left a $1 less in the tip, rounding down. Suggest you count your returned change for correctness.

Rates: A-
Rates A Return: We will try the Tuesday Special.

1  Thank Engineer_Lou
Reviewed June 17, 2012

This restaurant is owned by Tommy Rocker’s ex-wife, Donna. The décor is reminiscent of a lodge you might expect to find somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. Our meal began with a mixed salad lightly dressed with a vinaigrette. We each ordered the evening’s special, fresh halibut roasted in the oven and served with a citrus sauce that was accompanied by fingerling potatoes and a sauté of fresh vegetables. The portion size was about 8 ounces and the fish was moist and delicious. The only negative, a minor one, was our server was a bit disengaged. Overall, our meal exceeded expectations.

1  Thank westie2