“beautiful grounds”

Aston MonteLago Village Resort
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Henderson
Reviewed August 9, 2010

The grounds are lovely. They have live jazz music every Saturday on the waters edge. The shops are great. We did not eat in any of the restaurants. Our room was very nice but the view was not so we asked to change rooms and we were quickly moved to a room with a view of the lake. They have 3 pools. I would reccommend this location for adults. Not great for kids. However, they do have paddle boats and paddle boards available and there is a boat dock. Not sure if you can jet ski. I did not see any. If you want to relax and enjoy your vacation but be 20 minutes from the strip - then stay here.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 27, 2010

This resort offers beautiful vistas of the mountains, huge suites, a lovely pool, and a quick trip into the city. It's a great place for couples who want quiet romantic time together, or for families who want to get away from the Strip but still be able to enjoy the city.

I would NOT recommend it to singles hoping to meet people, or to groups of young people who want to do a wild Vegas Vacation. This resort is a wonderful concept that just has not taken off so far. That's bad news for the owners, but great for travelers, who will be able to have the pool mostly to themselves, find no lines at the restaurants, and have personal attention from the coffee shop staff. The down side? The casino is closed. The restaurants and shops have not yet figured out that the peak traffic hours in the little village are early mornings and late evenings--boutiques are only open during the heat of the day when the guests were off doing something air conditioned.

We visited in dead summer, and it was too hot between 10am and 8pm to walk around the little shops, but we did plenty of exploring in the early morning, when it was cooler and beautiful outside. Unfortunately, all the shops were closed at that time. The grounds are really like a postcard, so beautiful, and not very crowded at all. It's a real find, so close to the city. If you like quiet, or enjoy long walks and meditation, this is a great spot. Not such a good locale if you are looking for the hot party scene.

The kids loved the pool and the vast suite. We enjoyed the fully equipped kitchen (nicest one I've ever seen in a hotel), the fitness room, the hot tub, AND the coin-op laundry facilities that are great when staying for a long visit with kids. I enjoyed having a peaceful retreat to head home to in the evenings after shopping on the strip and visiting the big hotels during the day.

Many of the reviews mentioned how hard it was to find service. I have to say, the workers here are definitely out-of-sight. We stayed across the lake from the front desk, and I never even went in the main building. HOWEVER, when we called for extra towels, we always received them in a matter of minutes. The cleaning service was nothing to write home about, but they took out our trash every day and kept the bathrooms clean.

I would love to go back again, and would definitely recommend it to people looking for some peace and quiet near one of the loudest, busiest cities in America.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank featherfan72
Reviewed May 19, 2010

First class hotel. Nice rooms, pools and grounds. Great place to go if you want some peace and quiet, away from the crowds on the Strip.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Where do I begin? The resort is nestled in beautiful Lake Las Vegas; about 20 minutes west of the strip in Henderson, NV. We were celebrating our 5th Anniversary and wanted a nice quite retreat away from the hustle and bustle of Las Vegas.

This resort is for couples and families that want to enjoy a leisurely resort atmosphere. There were'nt many guest at the hotel since the economy has taken a turn for the worst, but we actually liked that aspect of it. Other guest we met at the resort informed us that the resort was recently sold, and several units were for sale. This is a resort that you can buy into, unlike a timeshare, you own the unit.

We are actually considering purchasing a unit; that's how much we loved it here! The casino is closed; which was not a deal breaker for us since we don't gamble. There are several nice resturants in the village which were exceptional. There are also a few shops that have remained open. There is a nice man made lake on the property which offers water sports. From the grounds to the lobby to the unit we stayed in, the property is very well maintained. We plan on making this a regular vacation spot!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2010

We have recently came back from Montelago and it was really, really lovely. The rooms were great and so were the facilities. Clean and just georgeous. Everyone was so kind and friendly and they really looked after us when we got stuck because of the volcano. It was a very relaxing place and the perfect anicdote to too much of the strip. There is a shuttle bus 3 times a day so you can have the strip and peace and quiet as well. I wouldn't recommend it if you wanted to party late every night but if you like to relax inbetween the bright lights and big city, its just perfect.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2010

Loved my stay at MonteLago. The Viera room was great, the restaurants we ate at (although almost empty) served great food. The Black Pepper had an exceptional waitress and the food was terrific. I am sad to see the economy having such a negative effect on such a beautiful resort. I plan on going back in June!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2010

I'm a medical progessional and one of the societies I'm a member of was having its annual meeting/seminar at the Loews resort nearby on Lake Las Vegas. The meeting would consist of long days in seminars and some evening activities some nights, and I really didn't want to spend the $280/night ballpark and only wanted a place to sleep nearby that was convenient, and less expensive. Montelago Village resort fit the bill nicely.

The resort was about 3 minutes driving time away from the Loews, and equidistant from the Ritz Carlton which are the 2 name brand hotels on Lake Las Vegas. The resort consists of 2 parts: a main hotel with a casino and restaurants in the 'village' (see below) and a separate part across a bridge crossing the Eastern tip of Laske Las Vegas, which is where I stayed, because it was cheaper and closer to the Loews.

The room was a spacious studio apartment with a small kitchen, TV and stereo, and was spotlessly clean. I overlooked a dry area where there was originally supposed to be a pond (see below). I have no major complaints but a few comments are in order: A burned out lightbulb in the bathroom went unnoticed by the housekeeping people during my stay,. I didn't bother to report is since it was bright enough without it, but it shows they might have some housekeeping issues. For some reason, I lost the free internet connection half way though my visit. I notified the front desk, and a very pleasant guy showed up who wasn't much of a computer geek, and couldn't figure out what the problem was. He offered to give me the 1-800 number for the hotel internet provider and contact them myself. Yeah. Sure. Right. Uh-huh. I'm going to trouble shoot their network issues on my vacation? Not,

I was able to get on-line in the lobby but I couldn't do my work on a desk etc.

Although the bathroom was very nice and spacious, no matter what I did, I always ended up with a puddle of water on the floor after taking a shower. I don't know if the shower stall doors were just poorly designed or mis-hung.

The water here needs conditioning. It took forever to wash soap off.

During my stay here, the Los Angeles times ran an article about the the Lake Las Vegas development,and talked about the financial difficulties here. The Ritz will close in May 2010, and the Loews is in receivership. The Montelago Village casino shuttered its doors during my visit. I drove around the real estate development on the North side of the lake, and there were lots of unfinished buildings. Unfinished roads. Unmanned gated communities. It was like somebody flipped a switch off. No bulldozers. No activity.

None of this matters except if Montelago shutters it's operation after you make your reservation. I could see it happening. Try to get a sense if they'll be there when you make your reservation by phoning. Except the people at the desk might not know.

Another plus staying here: It's a short drive to wonderful desert hiking on the North shore of Lake mead.

One last point: I made my reservation through Travelocity, which was the cheapest I could find. Please note that there is about $20/night in local taxes and a $18/night 'resort fee' so your nightly expense will be around $40 higher than the quoted rate, but this applies to the Loews and Ritz too except the numbers are higher.

In sum: Adequate place to stary for a cheap sleep if you don't need much. Gre at access to hiking near Lake Mead for a free afternoon. Just make sure they'll be in business when you show up if possible.

The Montelago Village was pretty quiet. Some real estate development near the entrance seemed OK. I looked on a real estate website and there were dozens of short sales in the Lake Las Vegas development.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank fishloverdave
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henderson
Summerlin
Red Rock Casino Resort & Spa

Been to Aston MonteLago Village Resort? Share your experiences!