“Enjoyed GVR--especially after The Strip”

Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Henderson
Reviewed June 2, 2006

The Green Valley Ranch was a nice surprise for us. I will say that we were blessed with absolutely wonderful weather, but either way the pool area is one of the nicest I have ever seen. . .absolutely relaxing and gorgeous. The rooms are average-above average, and the bathrooms are nice with good quality amenities. The service is typical of a big resort where people have too much to do; for example, our room didn't get made up at all the second day, and no one was exactly sure who was responsible for it. However, we were in town for a wedding and it was a nice break from the madness of The Strip (we stayed at The Venetian for three nights first). We ate at The Pancake House each morning, which was cheap, quick, and good. We also enjoyed the food court one of the nights (although the Fatburger there is the worst one I have ever eaten at! Truly a disgrace to the franchise). . .we didn't spend a lot of time shopping, and I found the spa prices out of touch with the quality of the service. The casino is nice during the day, not too many smokers and decent limits. In the evening it gets a little crowded and smoky, but there are still some smoke-free areas to be found.

Overall, if you can get a good price (their site online has good offers every once in awhile), this place is a nice one to stay at isn't on The Strip but is close enough if you want to go there (via their free shuttle). Despite the $19.95 "mandatory daily resort fee" (which doesn't include internet service), I would definitely consider a return trip in the future.

• Stayed: May 2006
7  Thank lovemypup
There are newer reviews for Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa

Reviewed May 20, 2006

My husband, daughter, and I stayed at GVR the week before April. The hotel and grounds were beautiful, the service personnel were wonderful, the "lifestyle mall" across the street was actually restful, and the location away from the Strip was ideal. However.....we needed to change rooms twice (hotel was overbooked when we arrived and we had to change rooms the next day- 3 hour wait after time told we could move; night before leaving, asked to move as someone else wanted our room and had to move within an hour), an overnight FedEx package arrived on the day expected, but not delivered to us until 4 days later (couldn't be found, we were questioned that it actually arrived after being told by the receiving dept. that they had seen it 'somewhere' and FecEx confirmed delivery), the rented pool cabana was broken and pool-side service was unexplainably stopped that day, and having been told our meals would be comped for the room changes, we were still charged for the last meal.

I would definitely recommend staying away from the Strip, but am not comfortable at all in recommending GVR. There were too many errors and glitches that shouldn't occur in a 4-star plus hotel, especially over a 7-night stay.

• Stayed: April 2006
12  Thank kstar54
Reviewed May 10, 2006

I'm not a big fan of Vegas in general and the strip in particular, so while attending a convention (at the Paris), I stayed at this hotel, hoping for a quiet refuge from the strip. It worked. This turned out to be an enjoyable and relaxing trip.... sorry to admit it, but I even enjoyed the strip this time.

One of the things I've hated about the strip in the past is the "anti -Feng-Shui" aspect of the rooms in many of the mega hotels. A friend who has to stay in Vegas regularly (he plays in a touring band) believes that many of the hotels do this intentionally to drive people out of the rooms and down onto the gambling floor. In any case, the Green Valley was the opposite of this... I enjoyed relaxing in the room and around the pool. The entire hotel was relaxing, spacious, and un-crowded. Very un-Vegas.

Not that it's perfect. The first room I got was right by the highway (you could hear the traffic noise) and overlooked the parking deck. Asked the front desk for another room and got one overlooking the pool/courtyard with the mountains in the background and the strip off to one side. Ah. I wouldn't have been happy in the first room, but the second was great. There were some of the small problems that can happen at any hotel and vary from room to room and day to day: plumbing noises (someone turning the water on and off) kept us awake a few minutes the first night, but never happened again. There's also the $20/day "spa and resort fee" and the $12.95 daily internet fee... things I would expect to be included in the room rate. Also, after a couple of days you might start to wonder if doing the 20 minute drive to and from mid strip every day... sometimes twice. .. is worth it. For me, yes. I liked this friendly and comfortable hotel quite a bit.

Frommer's Las Vegas 2006 was a great guide for me this trip. They have a nice write-up on the Green Valley Ranch... also followed several of their restaurant recommendations and found them right on. Just buy it and read it. As for casinos, the new Red Rock Casino was probably the nicest I visited... worth the 15-10 minute drive off strip. It was also worth driving a few minutes past there into the Red Rock canyon area for some beautiful moonlit views of the desert. Las Vegas is an interesting place that's more than the strip. Enjoy it!

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
9  Thank LateSleeper
Reviewed May 2, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at the GVR for several nights in April. We had stayed at two other hotels on the Stip during our visit to Las Vegas and after staying at Green Valley I wish we had stayed there the entire time. The room itself (king, non-smoking) was very nicely appointed. I loved the in-room martini bar (though the prices are high as you'd expect) and all the extras they had. If I had a suggestion it would be to add chapstick to the offerings. It's dry out there! But the shop downstairs in the casino did have chapstick, so all was well. Our room overlooked the pool and the Strip was visible in the distance. Especially at night, with all the lights, the view was lovely. The bathroom was great - they even had a volume control so you could listen to the television while in the bath. The tub was large and deep, the shower was separate and had great water pressure. Towels were plentiful and the robes were wonderful. The hotel had great amenities in addition to the ubiquitous casino. The pool was awesome - actually has a sand beach! There are wonderful seating options around the pool and there are grassy terraces where some people would bring their lawn chairs to relax. There is actually a tiny vineyard right next to the pool that I thought was neat. You walk through that to get to the spa. You'll pay a $20 charge for spa use and I highly recommend you make use of that facility. The spa is awesome whether or not you get a "service." There is a separate private pool, workout facility, sauna, hot tubs, cabanas, food/beverage service and a wonderful dressing area/shower room. The showers are so cool - the water comes out of the ceiling and the pressure is wonderful. I could have stayed in there an hour. Food is abundant at the hotel. We ate at the Buffet (Feast). One thing to note, on Saturdays and Sundays the buffet is set up for brunch during the day and the price is higher than what is published on the sign. The offerings are plentiful though and food is great. We also ate at the Irish Pub which had very tasty food. Try the wings in Guiness BBQ sauce.

The hotel also has a 10 screen movie theater and we enjoyed that. Directly across the street from the hotel is a wonderful shopping district. During the day there is live entertainment and activities for kids (face painting, balloon animals, etc.). We ate at the Elephant Bar one evening and enjoyed that. We also ate at the Oyster House restaurant over there and I have to say that their selection of oysters was the best - literally the most tasty oysters I've ever eaten.

Green Valley is about 15 minutes from the Strip so it's not a big deal if you want to get over there. They offer a complimentary shuttle to the airport, but beware, it is only a 14 passenger van and once the seats are gone, the seats are gone. There is no reservation - first come first served only. We were on the 6:30 a.m. shuttle but it was okay as there was hot, fresh coffee in the lobby and free newspapers.

I very highly recommend Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa and will most definitely stay there again when I have the chance to get back to Las Vegas.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
14  Thank LollyMoz
Reviewed April 14, 2006

I absolutely loved this hotel! Went here for a couple of days with a girlfriend...it was perfect. We didn't need "the strip" thing, so staying outside of mainstream Las Vegas was fine. They do have a shuttle that runs to the strip if you need it. But the hotel really has everything you need. The entrance to the hotel is actually seperate from the casino, so it makes for a nice "intimate" feeling when arriving. The room was excellent....with super comfortable beds! There are about 7 restuarants to choose from...all the food we had was great. And there are several different types of bars to be entertained at. My only complaint would be the difference in price...my cosmopolitan at one bar was $9 and $14 at another! The pool area looked fun...quite modern....with pillows and funky lounge chairs all over. It wasn't warm enough for us to enjoy the pool. But we did do the Spa thing...which was great! It's not a huge Spa, so it never got very crowded. Finally, the service was just excellent...the staff very friendly. It just has a much nicer feel to it, than a large casino on the strip. I would definitely go back with my friends or my husband!

6  Thank Kalena-Travels
Reviewed April 8, 2006

My wife and I spent half a week here and half at the Mirage, and the Green Valley Ranch Resort (GVR) was far better for the money than the Mirage (which cost more and provided fewer in-room amenities). And it was less commercial, too. On the strip, the hotels charge you for every little thing and provide somewhat indifferent service--reflective of their large corporate nature. The GVR is just the opposite; they pamper you and make you feel special.

First the positives: the GVR rooms were spacious and the most elegant I've stayed in. And they were not expensive compared with the strip (under $200). The bathrooms have both a tub and a glassed-in shower, beautiful textured tiling, and the beds are topnotch, too. Feather pillows, firm expensive mattresses. Even the honor bar was better than usual, including a little martini bar (stemmed glasses, a shaker, blue cheese-filled olives, and bottles of grey goose). The prices were reasonable as mini-bars go, and if you didn't want to pay them, you could go to the casino gift shop and buy bottles for near-retail prices and use those bottles with the shakers and stemware. I belong to Gold's Gym back home, and I was very impressed with the fitness facilities and the spa--spectacular machines and views of the mountains through one completely glassed wall (and they don't charge you $20/day extra for using the fitness facilities, like the Mirage does). Nice robes and complete personal grooming stuff are provided at the spa, and they even have a machine that wrings out your swimming suit after taking a jacussi (there are at least three jacussis inside and outside of the spa). All personnel in the casino and hotel were incredibly friendly and accomodating, which made our gambling and stay great. And they have a free shuttle to the strip, if you feel you need to visit it.

The only negatives were small: Room service was severely understaffed, and therefore grumpy and slow. I heard a lot of other guests complaining about this, too. And, given that this place is a spa and thus puts a premium on making you feel relaxed, they should consider having their gardeners work with non-power tools: they spent literally 5 hours around the pool one day with their blowers and power tools, and this during prime pool hours. I was about to shoot myself by noon (and they went on until 2)! But in the grand scope of things, these were minor compared to the great overall service and accomodations.

• Stayed: April 2006
7  Thank engkzl2
Reviewed April 3, 2006

I seldom rant & rave about a hotel but this one tops it in all Las Vegas! From booking my reservation to checking out, the service was exemplary!

On the plus side:
1. This 4 diamond resort is a hidden gem, an exceptional alternative from the overcrowded strip. During our weekend stay, my wife & I did not experience a lot of traffic at this hotel.

2. I made my reservations on line over a month ago for 4/1-4/3. Due to some changes, I had to call their reservations line & was very lucky to be assisted by Joanne, she accommodated all my request for a NS room at their East Tower, far away from Whiskey ( I've read from Trip Advisor that the noise coming from the Whiskey can be heard till the wee hours of the morning...).

3. The pool (Whiskey Beach) is a contemporary beautiful showcase complete with lap pools, jacuzzi, waterfalls & sand. The best thing of all is that it's heated, not crowded & only 4' deep.

4. The spa has everything you'd expect from a 4 diamond resort. From vichy rainfall showers, jacuzzi, robe & sandals, complimentary nuts & herbal tea, toothbrush, grooming aids, etc. The staff are very skilled & friendly. My masseuse, Natalie was the best!

5. One of the major pluses if you're billeted at the East Tower is that you don't have to go through the casino & (inhale all those smoke )to access your room. I'm not sure if this applies to the West Tower as well.

6. Complimentary airport shuttle saves you $22.00 (without tip) cab fare one way.

7. Rooms are spacious with flat screen TV.

8. This resort has cinemas inside the hotel. It has a quaint shopping alley called "The District" right across the street.

On the Negative Side:
1. Check in limited to 4 counters??? Staff is formal with us but very efficient. However, they did not give us a map to find our way around the resort.

2. Signs are confusing. The Fitness Center is located inside the spa but you have to ask around to know where it is. We did not see any Fitness Center signs around.

3. The spa is heavily booked. You may want to book ahead your trip.

4. On line reservation system does not allow changes.
You have to call their reservation line.

5. Not exactly the best buffet in town, but for $18.99, you get what you pay for (Tip: Sign up for a boarding pass at the Rewards counter to get a $1.00 discount each time you eat at the Fiesta buffet).

6. The dealer at the roulette table was not very friendly. Maybe he's having a bad hair day????

7. I didn't win playing in the casino. Not even a penny!

Nonetheless, My wife & I enjoyed our stay very much & would love to go back!

12  Thank Peter L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henderson
Summerlin
Red Rock Casino Resort & Spa
The Mirage Hotel & Casino
#50 of 263 in Las Vegas
ARIA Resort & Casino
#15 of 263 in Las Vegas
Signature at MGM Grand
#11 of 263 in Las Vegas

Been to Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!