“Quiet, peaceful but average venue away from the strip”

Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Henderson
“Quiet, peaceful but average venue away from the strip”
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at gvr for 3 nights as I was on business in Las Vegas and wanted to get away from the strip. Gvr is in the pretty Henderson suburb of Las Vegas and has very green and attractive grounds. The outside pools look great and the largest even has a small sand beach.

There is a new gym that is busy but very well equipped. It is open from 6am everyday and access is free.

The rooms are a little dated but quite large and comfortable especially when compared to on-strip properties.

In-room internet is free for a very slow connection and $18 per night for the high speed connection. It is though very unreliable and only worked for 1 day out if 3 I was there. Staff told me that this was normal and commonly experienced by guests.

Staff are friendly and interested.

Food choices at limited by Las Vegas standards but most seem reasonable with a couple of well known brands like Panda Express in the food court. The casino was not busy while i was there and service is prompt while you are playing.

Taxi from the airport costs around $20 and about double that to the strip. There is an hourly shuttle to/from the strip.

Gvr is an ok venue if you want to get a more peaceful venue in Vegas but the internet problems make life harder if you need to work or call come internationally.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Gibmini

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Maryland
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Full disclosure: I hate Las Vegas. But I attended a conference here, and if I had to be in Las Vegas, I'm glad the conference was at Green Valley Ranch. Being off the strip was a huge plus for me (although the strip was not far away, GVR offered regular shuttle service, and there was a good view of the strip from the GVR property). The hotel itself was nice. Nice rooms, comfy beds, pretty public spaces, and an awesome pool area. My only complaints were related to the nature of the Las Vegas beast. You had to walk through a smoky casino to get anywhere, prices in the fine dining restaurants were outrageous, and there were no coffee makers in the rooms (anything to get you out of your room and into the casino). If your family is like mine - someone loves Las Vegas, someone hates it - this is a great compromise. As my husband has been telling me for years, GVR is "more like a spa".

Room Tip: Previous reviews complained of thin walls. We had a Tuscany suite, and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I was recommended by a friend to stay at Green Valley Ranch Hotel - what a mistake.
I booked a double deluxe king room and was told at checkin that if I wanted a King I need to upgrade and she could do it for $50 and that it was usually $75. I declined and we were instructed how to get to our room which took about 20 minutes from checkin. We eventually arrived at "the room" overlooking the parking lot. I figured I have to call down to see if they made a mistake as this could not be a deluxe room. After being put on hold trying to get through to reception for what seemed an eternity I was put through to an "assistant" Donna, who claimed to be the manager with attitude that is not for someone in customer service told too bad, if I want to upgrade it will be $125 but she could give it to me for $75. I tried to explain my reservation was booked for a king size bed not a queen and Donna in her extremely rude tone said again if I want to upgrade then it was going to be $75. We could not stay in the room they put us in for another minute and so unfortunately as we had prepaid was forced to "upgrade" the room but before I Agreed to it I said how come the other lady who checked us in said it would be $50 a night and you tell me $75?? Donna snaps back " well she was wrong". So here we are 20 mins from strip, forced to upgrade for $75 a night to get what I paid for plus an additional $28 a day in resort fees! If you like haggling - this is the place for you but if you come for a break and not looking for stress - I advise you to stay away.

Room Tip: Be prepared to Upgrade
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank TravellingMan19866
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Super nice room and friendly staff. We stayed in the West Tower on the 3rd floor. We were surprised how thin the walls were as we could hear our neighbors talking and watching TV...it almost sounded like they were right outside our door when they were in their own room. If they only improved their sound-proofing this would make this hotel 5 stars. Our cleaning lady Maria was super duper kind! We got a $73/night deal on Priceline. Nice pool area and a convenient drive to the strip. Relaxing place to stay!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Wichita, KS
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I recently stayed for 5 nights for a conference in Las Vegas. The hotel is about 20 minutes from the strip depending on which way you go. The resort has about everything you can possibly need: several restaurants, bars, gambling (of course), swimming pool, and gym. The hotel is very nice and rather large. The food was very good from two restaurants I ate at as well as room service, and reasonably priced. The gym was very nice......one of the nicest I've worked out in at a hotel. The two issues I had while staying at the hotel was that my room would never get cool; no matter how low I programmed the thermostat. The second issue I had was no hot water if you needed to shower after 1:00 am. I called and was told that they shut off the hot water to that part of the resort after 1:00 am so it will distribute throughout the resort. Not sure what that meant, but it was the same every night (morning) I got back and showered. In the mornings, hot water in 30 seconds. Overall, not a bad stay. I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is not ideal if you want the whole LV experience, but if you are happy with some peace then it is great. There are plenty of restaurants, the pool area is great and the rooms are large with good bathrooms and facilities. The place could do with a little modernising, but the spa and gym seem new and are great. The staff can be slow and rude, particularly in the casino and restaurants.

Be warned, the spa is not cheap but once you have paid for treatments there is a wonderful wet suite you can use.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Excellent hotel. Off the strip with amazing grounds. Lot of restaurants and stores walking distance. Clean rooms, friendly staff,free valet, good in house restaurants. Nice fitness center, really awesome pool area with beach entry side. Lots of locals in casino, not like the strip.

Room Tip: East tower six floor was super quiet
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henderson
Summerlin
Red Rock Casino Resort & Spa
The Mirage Hotel & Casino
#49 of 262 in Las Vegas
ARIA Resort & Casino
#15 of 262 in Las Vegas

Been to Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!