“2010 We found heaven...2011 Returned to Green Valley Ranch, Nevada”

Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Henderson
Winnipeg
“2010 We found heaven...2011 Returned to Green Valley Ranch, Nevada”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We first checked out GVR in 2010. We took the free shuttle from Mandalay Bay (which was quite the chore to locate) to GVR which was great. Our intention was to tour the resort, have massages (I was joined by my husband and girlfriend on this trip), enjoy the casino, have lunch, do some shopping at the District and head back to the strip for dinner reservations at Sinatra at Encore. You know what they say about the best laid plans! We arrived at Noon and went straight to the spa where we were WOWED. The washroom/change room is magnificent, as is the spa/hot tub in the change room and the showers. We tried everything out and then went into the co-ed spa where we could all chat together. This is one of the very few spas in Vegas that have a co-ed spa/hot tub. We all enjoyed our FABULOUS massage (hubbie) and facials (me and girlfriend) I was so relaxed when I was done. We then laid outside by the outdoor pool and had drinks. Then we were off shopping at the District. Managed to tour the shops very quickly to get the lay of the land while husband played poker. By the time we met up it was dinner and we enjoyed the buffet which I believe was $10 ea with player card. Now it was time to head back to the strip and we were no way ready to go back. So we went to the concierge and he volunteered to call the restaurant for us to cancel our reservation. We were so happy, had no time limits so we went off and explored the casino. We loved the machines and the friendly staff here. If you looked lost, someone was quick to point you in the right direction. We left there about 10:00 pm after being there for 10 hours. We took a taxi back which cost $40 to get back to the Venetian.

We could hardly wait to go back -- next time we will stay the night!

In Sept 2011 we returned, this time with 5 girlfriends and hubbie. We had room reservation this time and stayed in the East Tower. We found access to the pool and casino very easy from this tower. It was a nice quiet tower and we faced the mountains. The room was spectacular. Two Queen beds which were very comfy. Nice glass walk-in shower and deep tub with toilet in separate room (just like the Venetian & Palazzo). Unique feature of room is instead of a hanging a do not disturb sign you simply press a button inside the room by the door. This lights up outside near your doorbell (YES, a doorbell). You get free newspaper delivery (hanging on your doorknob) when you wake up in the morning. There is a coffee maker in the room - nice! And we could actually afford to take a beer from the bar fridge (less than the cost of a beer on the strip) and a snack.

We wanted to use the hot tub by the pool at night time but unfortunately the hot tub was undergoing maintenance. A disappointment to us as we were only spending the one night and wanted to get together as a group to enjoy.

We loved the spa yet again. Last year I had a facial which was to die for (massaged your neck, shoulders, legs, arms as well) This year my hubbie and I opted for the pedicures which are in a different building from the main spa. He said he would do agai.

We enjoyed the pool this time - spent 3 hours laying around enjoying our drinks and relaxing. Drink Service was great. Must mention though that in Sept -- the resort is quiet -- very few people. By the pool there were maybe another 8 people total. So guess drink service should be quick. Waitress was great! She even offered to take our group photo -- BIG Thank you for that!

Breakfast Buffet was great - we all enjoyed it and as a guest of the hotel you jump the line. For $5.99 all you can eat -- great bargain and great food.

Staff in all areas of this resort are helpful and friendly. Such a pleasure!

There is a free shuttle to and from the strip every four hours. Between Noon and 8:00 pm. Takes you to Mandalay Bay.

Casino has a great selection of machines. Love them all. I liked that I could sit outside one of the lounges and hear the music while playing my machine.

Should mention that as a guest of the hotel you have FREE access to the Spa (you pay resort fee for this). So you need not have a pedicure etc to enjoy the spa facilities. Also includes the gym.

We are going to return to this resort in 2012. In fact we already have a night booked for Dec 22, 2012. First time in Vegas at Christmas. We are spending this particular night to enjoy Michael Grimm at Ovation Lounge. $5 entrance -- cannot beat the price and have followed him since he won America's Got Talent. Can't wait to return. Too bad the hot tub won't be open outside - would def use. But we will enjoy the co-ed hit tub at the Spa.

Will write another review after our 2012 visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank KraftyKelly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
UK
Reviewed September 30, 2012

For a one night stay with a business function at the facility this was a good stay.

The pool area is really pleasant with Cabanas and a nice ambiance. The business amenities and catering associated were excellent.

This drops one star as the room itself was a dated decor - While the condition was excellent the style itself seemed quite obscure for a recently refurbished tower (east tower).

Note that this is a 30-40 dollar cab ride to the airport and around 40-50 to the strip, although there are hotel shuttle services.

Room Tip: Try for higher rooms as level 3 looked into the parking lot.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Raleigh N.C.
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This was our first stay at GVR and we plan to return. The hotel is beautiful, we had a standard room and it was perfect. Comfy bed and huge bathroom. There is a Bose CD player in the room, so bring your favorite CD's. There are speakers in the bathroom for the TV so you can listen to your favorite show while getting ready, but remember to turn them down before you leave in morning or you will have the experience I had at 1 am when I turned on the TV and the speakers in the bathroom blasted and must have woken up any room near me. We were in the West Wing on the second floor, which is the Casino floor so it was nice not to have to wait for the elevator. We had an even # room, with parking lot view, since we were not in room much we didn't care. If you want a pool view try an odd # room. The GVR is a great break if you want to escape the hussle & bussle of "the strip", but if you want to make the trip it is 10 mins away and an easy trip. If you stay in the West Wing recommend parking on the 4th floor of 215 parking deck, casino level and easy access hallway to rooms in West Wing.

Casino is very large with a great selection of machines. They had many I had not seen any where else. For the first 2 days we never left GVR as it had everything we needed. The pool is nice, it has lots of Palm trees that do provide shade. The "beach" feature is fun for the kids. There is an area called "The Pond" for adults only but the door lock was broken and room keys would not work so I was never able to enter. The grounds around the pool and Spa are beautifully landscaped.

The Exercise room is great, it has a large assortment of equipment. I am a treadmill girl and their treadmills had individual TV's which is nice, take headphones if you want sound. If you are hungry after your workout, there is granola mix, fruit and pretzels in the locker room which make a nice snack or breakfast.

The Spa is nice and the massage I had was excellent. As this was my first time at the GVR spa I would have liked a tour or some explanation of all the ameneties when I checked in, but all I was given was a locker key. I had to ask several questions like where do I go to wait for my massage and was told I would see it when I went in the ladies spa. I did find it after giving myself a tour. I would have appreciated an attendent meeting me to show me around, as on my last day there I heard 2 regulars talking about the co-ed spa room and some other room I never saw or knew about. If you have never been to a spa before you might want to ask for a tour when you check in. And if everyone seems to know each other, don't feel left out, the GVR Spa has alot of regular local patrons and it seems to be a popular destination for groups of girls to meet and relax. I think that is a great recommendation.

sharicbrb
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Every Year we have such a good time at the Green Valley Ranch but not this year, the gambling was tight...couldn't win on anything and we usually eat at the buffet but there were no offers this time, we checked with guest services and even though we spent alot of money our points didn't add up because our money was just sucked right up so not even a dollar off on dinner. Not one waitress asked us if we wanted a drink and we were there for about 4 hours, not very much fun this year.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

First time staying at the resort and will not be my last. Awesome place, excellent staff, superb rooms and amenities and all in all a real resort in the desert.

The interior design is very warm and comfortable and welcoming to all. A person feels at home when staying here. The pool area is a water entertainment attraction in itself with a 21 and older area called the Pond. The general area is bountiful with chaise lounges and a cabana area as well as enormous sofa beds towards the front of the pool area.

The casino and gaming area is awesome as well. If you like or love video poker this place has it all and more. There are arcades and a cinema here as well. Oh don't forget the convention and meeting area too

• Stayed September 2012
kingston springs, TN
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We had never stayed this "far off" the strip in LV. I will stay here over and over. Lovely room (and we just got the regular room); wonderful spa facility -- included in the resort fee!; great pool; very nice steak house; the coffee shop food was very good; we enjoyed the very large casino, too. If we wanted we could have ridden the free shuttle to the strip -- but there was no need! Also, We enjoyed a walk around the upscale shopping area across the street!

1 Thank auntsusanelaine
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Wow! Just had to write a review and ask, What Happened to Green Valley Ranch's 4-Star Amenities???????
Yes Virginia, the little things DO COUNT! Especially when you are a "returning" guest and KNOW when the place has changed. So FYI, for people who used to LOVE this place, and really enjoyed the little extras:
1) There are NO MORE COFFEEMAKERS in the room! Why?, I asked housekeeping.
Don't know, they replied, but they removed all of them in July.
2) There is NO COFFEE SERVICE ANYMORE IN THE MORNING IN THE LOBBY. GVR used to have a wonderful coffee, hot water, tea service on a table in the lobby each morning - really nice to grab a cup early, after a work out at the gym or on the way to your meeting. NO MORE OF THAT!
GONE!!! The Front Desk response: "It's gone. Sorry. Don't know why. You can fill out a comment card. Lots of guests have complained."
So... No free coffee ANYWHERE. And this is a 4 star resort, with a $20-25 RESORT FEE!
3) They have changed out the toiletries provided in the room. NO MORE of that really great smelling lotion, shampoo, conditioner, body wash. Now it's labeled "Ahhh Spa" - but it smells like nothing special at all. Changed from "Essentiel Elements" to Gilchrist & Soames, which is in fact the same manufacturer, but I'm guessing a lot cheaper product. REALLY disappointing. Who made this decision?????
4) Don't count on a bellman when you need them.
Sunday morning checkout: No one answering the phones at the "luggage services" number; no one answering the phone at the "front desk" number. Had to haul all of our own luggage (two trips!) down to the lobby ourselves, only to find two "suits" behind the bell desk. Both the bell desk and front desk insisted they were answering the phones. Right...like I would make this up!
No tips, no service...again, what happened???
5) We stayed in the West Wing - much nicer than the East Wing (have stayed in both). The paint and maintenance is lacking, showing age. The TV remote control never worked properly - could not change the channels, except by putting in each channel number specifically - would not go up or down. What's going on GVR???
6) $15 each day to have a small refrigerator in your room.
7) No more fresh juice, trail mix (fruits/nuts) in the Spa waiting area. No more waterfall next to the ladies' spa jacuzzi.
8) Towels in the room are cheap and scratchy - what happened to the nice towels, formerly provided?
9) Bed was clean, but I agree with other reviewers - mattresses need overhauling.
Best Things Still There [as of now, anyway]:
- Spa is really peaceful, quiet and lovely to sit outside by the spa pool. Very zen.
- Spa treatments are generally very good - about average price.
[But Spa etiquette is NOT enforced - too much talking, socializing and noises outside treatment rooms]. But in general, the spa is still the most wonderful place in the hotel.
- Nice location and proximity to outdoor mall, The District.
- Outside pool area, landscaping and meeting facilities are good.
- Grand Cafe (formerly Original Pancake House) is now open 24 hours, and you can get a good breakfast any time of day - Yeah! Good move GVR! Plus, food and service were very good.

So, WHY, WHY WHY GVR????
ATTN Station Casinos: If this is your FLAGSHIP hotel, you need to restore the little things that guests have come to expect - bring back the coffee, for pete's sake - are you kidding me??? How much can that POSSIBLY cost you??? Put mini-Keurigs in each room like other 4 star hotel now provide. Or at least put back the coffee set up in the lobby each morning.
And, NO, we are NOT going to go outside the Grand Cafe and pay $4.50 for a cup of bad coffee each morning!!! Please!
Bring back the little things and you will have guests return again and again. It sets your resort apart from the other hotels and IT MATTERS!

Room Tip: West Wing is better; 2nd floor leads directly to casino.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank PBRENDIE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henderson
Summerlin
Red Rock Casino Resort & Spa
The Mirage Hotel & Casino
#46 of 262 in Las Vegas
ARIA Resort & Casino
#14 of 262 in Las Vegas
Signature at MGM Grand
#11 of 262 in Las Vegas

Been to Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!