“Good Breakfast, Fair Service, Shuttle Bus”

The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Henderson
Los Angeles, California
“Good Breakfast, Fair Service, Shuttle Bus”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

When I first arrived, they entered my credit card wrong (which was verified by my bank) and they refused to actually try to verify it CLOSELY. After they refused to do the task they sent me to an ATM that didnt have sufficient funds itself. After I started to assure them they need to enter my credit card correctly, I had my reservations. I originally reserved 1 King Bed but was given a double bed room. I was given hardly any direction in how to get to my room because there are different wings and separate elevators for certain sections. Throughout this process I was not asked for any assistance with my bags (and I had a dog in my arm). When I got to my room I immediately knew that I have been in better. It had dated carpeting and stained walls. There was no city information or any magazines that are usually left for the traveler, not even a bible! I wanted to eat and didnt have a local directory and there services within the hotel were closed. The breakfast was very good and affordable, but I had to alert a manager because no one was serving me after 5 long minutes. The pools and sunbathing was really great, I recommend getting there early to get yourself a seat just like any other pool area, the service was not good and it took over 30 minutes to receive my lunch. Public water also ran empty. There was more of children's area and one for adults in terms of pools. There was a nice artificial lake to look at and it was very wildlife enriching. I liked the landscaping and the shuttle service, you can also use paddle boats and do outdoor activities using the lake and amenities. It wasn't bad for the price but I would have expected better customer service, accurate reservations, and a dog relief area.

Room Tip: You can have a resort view or lake view. Lake view is more private since there isn't anyone on t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank lovetotravelyvo
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
It's regrettable to learn that your experience with us did not live up to the high standards that we've set for our property and we deeply regret any inconveniences. The level of detail that you've provided in your review is greatly appreciated and we’d like to extend our sincere apologies for any difficulties that you experienced at check-in. We appreciate that you've addressed these concerns with us because it gives us the ability to improve for our future guests. Thank you and we hope you’ll someday allow us the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We recently had a wonderful 3-night stay at the Westin Lake Las Vegas. This is a beautiful resort in a lovely area right on the shore of Lake Las Vegas. Upon arrival, the room we were first assigned was a bit disappointing - not the view we were expecting. Jennifer, at the front desk, provided exceptional service and helped us to find the perfect room. We had a lovely unit with a full sitting balcony (most of the rooms have no balcony or a juliette balcony) overlooking the lagoon, lake and andalusian garden. We enjoyed breakfast pastries from the coffee shop on our balcony each morning. There are many wonderful places to walk or run, including a quiet trail along the lake to the nearby village. I guess this used to be the golf course trail, but the golf course is not currently operating. The village was a bit deserted and many units are empty, but it is still very charming and there are some good restaurants. We also hightly recommend the asian-fusion restaurant, Marssa, on-site at the hotel. The stand-up paddleboards are tons of fun. It was a bit windy, but the protected lagoon was the perfect place for first-time paddleboarders. We definitely recommend this hotel if you are looking for a quiet retreat away from the noise and crowds of the strip.

Room Tip: Go for the lagoon/lake view! Request a balcony room. Even a juliette balcony would be nice because...
1 Thank tam2travel
We’re truly pleased that our staff was able to help find the perfect accommodations for you. It's wonderful that you were able to take full advantage of our balcony and begin each morning enjoying the views of the water. We truly appreciate that you've recommended our hotel, as well as our Marssa restaurant, and we hope we'll have the pleasure to welcome you back to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa. Thank you.
San Francisco
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The lobby is very nice (a good thing). The food tasting awful and the waiter being rude in the "Japanese Grill" (a bad thing). The guitar player in the lobby being great (a good thing). Waiting for 1.5 hrs for clean towels that never arrived so I had to shower and dry off with semi wet towels to go to the airport(a bad thing). Rooms being very well appointed (a good thing). Finding out that I was getting charged $22.00 extra per night upon check out for resort fee that was never mentioned at check in and was not explained what that gets me (a bad thing). The location being absolutely perfect (a good thing). Half the treadmills not working at the gym (a bad thing). Would I go back? Not in two life times. Do I tell you not to go? May be!

Room Tip: If you have to go, stay away from the Japanese Grill, find out what the resort fee gets you and do g...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
It's truly disappointing to learn that your experience with us did not reflect the high standards that we've set. On behalf of our staff, I'd like to extend my apologies for any inconveniences that you experienced throughout your stay. Please know that it is never our intention for our guests to endure difficulties during a visit. Our resort fee charge is clearly stated on our website and includes self parking, unlimited use of the Fitness Center, High Speed Internet access, etc. We truly regret if this was not made clear at the time of your arrival. Thank you for the level of detail that you've provided in your review and we hope you'll allow us another opportunity to welcome you back.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 22, 2013

As a 4 star hotel I have expectations of helpful service and this was not my experience during the two nights I spent at the Westin. The battery in my room safe needed to be replaced. When I went to the front desk to request a fix, I was told by a gentleman that I needed to call in the morning. My point that I was there now in person making the requesting was ignored. Apparently the front desk staff do not know how to handle such a complex request. After all, it involved one member of the staff leaving a message for another. Perhaps the staff could attend a workshop on note taking.

As a result, the room safe still doesn't work and it won't work for the next guest either. That's like compounded interest, accruing guest dissatisfaction in perpetuity. It set the tone for the entire stay. Unhelpful. 4 stars?

The whole wheat spagetti for $17 at Rick's Cafe was adequate but it left me wanting better dining options, at least when it's advertised as "world class" dining. The hostess' demands for my name and room number before she would seat me irked me. Is that 4 star service? I have never been interrogated by a restaurant before.

On a side note, I did not keep the sunglasses left in my room from the last guest (not my style). It makes me wonder how well the rooms are cleaned.

Now the good notes, it's quiet and far away from the bustle of Vegas. I could hear coyotes howling at night which was cool. The facilities are nice.

It's management that needs a touch up.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank David H
Feedback, positive or otherwise, is always highly appreciated since it is an essential part of improving our services. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences that you encountered with our in-room safe. We understand your frustration and can assure you that your review will be shared with our staff in our efforts to continuously improve upon the services provided. We greatly appreciate your feedback and we thank you for taking the time to post your review.
Shelton, Connecticut
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Let me set the scene for you. I sit down in the hotel bar and peruse the drink menu. I decide to order a scotch on the rocks. As I am about to close the menu, I notice asterisks at the bottom of the page. It says, "$2.00 charge for ice...$3.00 charge for ice in martinis." What! Has an ice shortage occurred when I wasn't paying attention? I guess not since there were ice machines in every hallway churning out unlimited FREE ice for all the guests. Is there a way to make a martini without using ice? I don't think so. I know that hotels are becoming more and more like the airlines, nickel-and-diming you for everything. But even the airlines still serve ICE with your drinks without charging you. Inexplicable.

As for the hotel itself, this Westin resort is the latest incarnation of what was originally built as a Hyatt back in the 90's. This beautiful, low-rise property is situated within the sprawling Lake Las Vegas master-planned development consisting of condo communities, private homes and other resorts and clubs. While it is only about 30 minutes from the Strip, it gives you the sense of being very remote and islolated (not necessarily a bad thing).

The service staff is very outgoing and friendly. Other than that, there is very little Westin-ness in evidence since the physical property itself seems virtually unchanged from its original Moorish-influenced design. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, but it is all beginning to look quite tired and dated. This resort could defintely use a full-fledged Westin refreshment.

There are two large pools. One has a water slide and is supposed to be for families with kids. The other pool is designated for "tranquility," but that is not necessarily what you get. There are cabanas available at extra charge and a small outdoor limited-menu restaurant serves over-priced sandwiches and salads for lunch.

The resort has two full-service restaurants. The specialty choice is Asian-influenced with prices that seem more attuned to high-rollers (who are definitely not staying at this hotel that has no casino). The other restaurant, Ricks, serves all three meals and is very good. There is also a small convenience cafe that serves lower-priced, mostly take-out fare.

I began this review complaining about this hotel charging for ice. On the other hand, they do not charge for self-parking (very unusual for a resort property). Go figure? Go the Westin Lake Las Vegas for a quiet, low-key alternative to the frenzied Las Vegas hotel scene.

1 Thank MK2000
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective. We'd like to extend our sincere apologies for any inconveniences that you may have experienced with our charges. We certainly strive to provide the best possible services and highly value all of the feedback that we receive from our guests. Your thorough review of our restaurant and amenities is truly appreciated and we hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is a very nice resort with medium size rooms, nice appointed bathrooms and good service. The activity pool is huge and there is a great waterslide. Kayaking was also part of the resort fee. For a Westin, it was up to the standards except for Rick's Cafe. We ate dinner and two breakfasts there and the service was poor, even when they were not busy. At dinner, I almost had to play hide and seek to find someone to fill our water or get the check because it was getting late and my kids were tired. Breakfast service was a bit better but the employees there were not happy and showed it. Also the place is overpriced but hey, I guess that is the resort price.

The Westin was built in 1999 overlooking Lake Las Vegas, as with everything in Vegas, this lake is man-made and looked pretty dirty with big ugly fish in the lagoon. We did not swim or touch the lake water but stayed in the pool.

Be forewarned that this resort is 20-30min from The Strip and you have to drive through most of Henderson, which seems like a town with some run down areas and hit hard by the real estate bubble, so stay on the main streets and were people are.

Overall, we may go back just because of the nice pool and non-smoking policy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank klbears
Thank you for sharing your perspective, as it's always welcomed and appreciated. We'd like to extend our sincere apologies for any inconveniences that you experienced in our restaurant. This does not reflect the high standards we've set and we can assure you that the head of our restaurant management will be notified. We are especially pleased to learn that you are considering a return visit to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa and we hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Oosterblokker, Netherlands
Reviewed April 16, 2013

What to say over this resort.
Food : great
Service : great
We have been there more than 6 times since 2006 ( first a Hyatt, later Loews, now Westin ) every time a pleasant stay.
Staff helpfull, and a lot off them are there from the beginning (from the start as Hyatt)

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great, high level and lake view we prefer.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roland_Holland
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback regarding your recent experience with us at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa. We greatly appreciate your loyalty and hope we can continue to welcome you back in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henderson
The Strip
4.5 of 5 bubbles 15,578 reviews
M Resort Spa Casino
#1 of 25 in Henderson
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,288 reviews

Been to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!