“Wonderful service but hotel is starting to look worn out in key areas (rooms/pool)”

The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Henderson
San Diego
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We have been staying at this property over 10 years since it was a Hyatt Regency. It is now a Westin. (It was a Lowes property in between the two). The service has improved quite a bit since our last stay when it was a Lowes. Check in was wonderful and ahead of schedule. There was a problem with our room when we checked in. We were greeted with how can we fix this/make it better and they did. The only bummer about our entire trip was how run down the rooms and pool are. They are starting to show their age. We booked a Jr. King Suite. Our room smelled great but the carpets were stained and the couch was worn and old. Same with the furniture. The bed had new linens and seemed fresh. When I booked the room I was told that the beds had been upgraded to the "Westin Heavenly Bed". The bedding was, but not the mattress. It was very uncomfortable and not a Westin mattress (I own this bed at home) so that was a big let down. The pool area I think is where we were really disappointed. What was once a beautiful pool now has missing tiles around the edge and rust stains on the bottom. We stayed for 4 days and saw the same unique bugs floating on the bottom of the pool floor the entire time. You would think they would bring in a sweeper at night to clean the pool. The pool tables were also sticky first thing in the morning with an attendant just standing around doing nothing. All this being said, we will come back because this has been a yearly tradition for our family. I just hope Westin can make the changes necessary to save this gem before it gets any worse.

Room Tip: Lake views are worth it!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
As a loyal guest to the property, thank you for taking the time to share your perspective and impressions of your stay. While we're happy that you received wonderful customer service, it's disappointing to learn of our room and pool area's condition. We can assure you that this is not reflective of the high standards we've set for our property and your comments will be immediately addressed to our maintenance crew. We're truly appreciative of your feedback, as our guests' reviews are essential in improving our services. We're honored to be your family's yearly tradition and we look forward to welcoming you back to provide you with the five star stay we know we are capable of.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Corona, California
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This a fairly new resort but I wasn't wowed. I was disappointed in the quality of the resort. I expected much more from a Westin brand. I expected Westin Luxury bet felt more like an average 3 star hotel. We were with a group of about 10 other rooms. The hotel was completely sold out for a basket ball tournament and breakfast was a fiasco. Not only did the staff not know what "breakfast included "in the the rate meant but they gave different definitions of what that meant. I was told first it was a complete breakfast then when we arrived, we were told that it was only continental but when we went down to the restaurant they said we also qualified for the buffet yet charged us for the breakfast on our bill (almost every one of the 10 room) which meant that at checkout you couldn't just check out but had to go to the front desk to fix our bill. The hotel is really clean and they had the best mattress I have ever slept on.
The Lake was pathetic and looked a bit dirty we tried to swim in it bet felt a little ewwe. The pool was ok. Not enough dinning options so we travelled for dinner. I dont believe I would return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MStraveller26
Though I'm very grateful for the feedback that you've provided for us, it's truly disappointing that you felt we did not live up to the high standards of the Westin brand. We never want a valued guest to leave our resort and feel that their expectations weren't met and truly regret any difficulties that you experienced during your stay with us. The inconsistencies that you experienced with our staff regarding our breakfast will be addressed immediately and I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced as a result. We appreciate your review and hope that you will consider visiting with us again. Thank you.
Pineville, Missouri
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Like many others we got this place on Hotwire in Henderson. It was a little out of our way, but was a fantastic place with a modest cost. Beautiful location on the lake with lots to do our do just nothing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank recorder
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Whether looking to lounge by the pool or enjoy an afternoon of exciting water activities, you can find it all at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for sharing with us and we hope we get the chance to welcome you back for the longer stay you wished for!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We were only here one night, but what a great experience. The staff made my wife and me feel as if we were the most important guests ever to stay at the Westin. Without exception, everyone we interacted with went out of their way to meet our requests and make us feel at home.
My wife and I flew into Vegas to spend two nights before heading to Los Angeles for our son’s wedding. Neither of us are big gamblers, we wanted to see a show or two and enjoy a nice pool to beat the desert heat. Without mentioning names, the place we stayed on the strip was crowded, noisy and our room smelled smoky. We had enough by the end of the first night.
I did an internet search and found the Westin at Lake Las Vegas located about 20 miles from the strip. We drove out early that morning just to take a look at the place. What a difference. The Westin is located in a quiet upscale residential/shop community. The Hotel is done in a Spanish/Moorish décor that blends beautifully into its desert location. It has all of the amenities that you would expect of a luxury hotel: a Spa, multiple restaurants and 2 pools. The upper one is an adult’s only pool while the lower one is a kid friendly pool with a water slide. We were surprised to learn the hotel is 12 years old because everything looked clean and new. It does not have a casino so if you want to gamble you need to drive about 10 minutes to Henderson or 25 minutes to the strip,
After looking around for a few minutes we decided to stay. The check-in process, handled by a very friendly and knowledgeable clerk, was swift and efficient. We asked for and received a deluxe pool-view room at an incredible price. My wife headed for the shop to purchase a bathing suit while I headed back to Vegas to collect our belongings.
On returning, I pulled up to the valet parking area where I was met by two valets and a bellhop. The car was unloaded in seconds and I was on my way to our room. The room, on the 8th floor was clean, large and, as promised, had a wonderful view of the pool, the desert and the mountains beyond.
I found my wife by the pool where we ordered an excellent Thai salad for lunch. I complimented her on her choice of bathing suits and she told me I should thank the store associate because she was so helpful and instrumental in making the choice. I’m thinking wow I really haven’t met too many helpful people in hotel stores before-what’s with this place?
Later that afternoon we discovered Richmond- not the city- the pool bartender. Richmond made the best most authentic tasting Mai Tai I have had in years. So now I am really impressed with the Westin. Way to go Richmond. There is no pool bar, Richmond performs his magic in the poolside kitchen building. All drinks are ordered through poolside waiters or waitresses. This was not a big deal but I didn’t want to leave anyone with the impression there was a pool bar to hang out in or swim up to.
That night things just kept on getting better when we had diner at Marssa the Sushi restaurant. The service was impeccable and the food incredible. Chef Osamu "Fuji" Fujita is recognized by the Japanese Chef's Association as a "Maser Chef" and it is a title well deserved. He is not only a chef but an artist who clearly enjoys his work. I am not sure we will ever be satisfied with our local Sushi restaurants after our meal there.
Later that night we learned something else unique about Chef Fuji. After diner, we spoke to the restaurant manager to tell him how much we enjoyed our meal. That’s when he told us that Fuji’s father was a personal Chef to the previous Emperor of Japan. How’s that for a role model?
I could go on and on but in summary if you get tired of “the strip” or want a quiet family get-a-way or just need a little down time, take the short trip to the Westin at Lake Las Vegas. I don’t think you will be disappointed. We were not and we will definitely return on our next visit to Las Vegas

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Crazy4Cabo
What a wonderful review! No matter the circumstance, we're glad that you and your wife found your way to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa and sincerely appreciate you sharing such a detailed and thorough review about your experience with us. As I read your review, I was delighted to learn that your experience just kept getting better! It is truly wonderful to read that you received such exceptional service from beginning to end, as it's always our pleasure to be able to accommodate the requests of our guests. We couldn't be happier knowing that you felt right at home and we look forward to welcoming you back for another great stay. Thank you for sharing.
Germantown, Maryland
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed here three days with a group of 7 people, at the end of July 2012. It was fantastic. First of all, we got a really good rate on the room from Westin's own website. The rooms were really great, but when one of the rooms was too small for three people they upgraded us to a suite at no additional cost. All of the staff were super-friendly and made every effort to make our stay pleasant. The pools were really wonderful-- our kids had a great time with the water slide, and I had a great time lounging by the pool while pleasant young people served me a continuous supply of iced tea. The food was really good, and especially the breakfasts at Rick's Cafe was very good and the servers were fantastic. Seriously, if you don't have a fantastic experience here-- it's your own fault! We're only sad that we missed the Saturday afternoon DJ by the pool! This place is a solid 4+ star resort! Oh, and I forgot to mention-- no casino here- thank God! It's a super place to relax!

Room Tip: We got the least expensive rooms and they were perfect-- the beds were spectacularly comfy.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
A relaxing getaway is exactly the type of experience we want to provide for our guests at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa! We couldn't be happier that you enjoyed such a fantastic stay and truly appreciate you sharing your experience regarding the customer service that you received. Thank you for your great review and we hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to enjoy the Saturday afternoon DJ by the pool.
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Very buetiful hotel and it's location, but that is the only good thing! The check in was Horible with 35 min to just check in at the front desk, then they tell you here is a pool key and when your room is done we will call you. After a hour and half waiting by the pool we went back up to the front desk to ask about our room which you have to wait in line again. They said our room would not be done for another two hours, at this point we would have left but it was a Saturday in Vegas and nothing left. We finally got into our room at 8:45 at night, 5hrs and 45 min of waiting for our room. It is sad this place has the westin name on it! We have loved every westin we have stayed in all over the USA but this one we will never go back to!

• Stayed July 2012
9 Thank Crusier79
WestinLake L, General Manager at The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Understandably, you were frustrated. For any inconveniences that you had to endure during your visit, we sincerely apologize. We highly value our guests' time with us and regret to learn that your experience with us did not reflect this. As we pass along your comments to our staff, we hope we get another opportunity in the future to welcome you back. Thank you.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My husband and I were in Las Vegas from Los Angeles to visit family and decided to check out Lake Las Vegas rather than staying on the Strip. We had requested late check in and arrived around 11:30pm. Initially we were told there were no clean rooms and asked to return to check-in in 15 minutes. When we returned we were told the room was clean but not yet entered into their computer system.

By this time other patrons had gathered at check-in and were being told there were no rooms for them, even though they had reservations. Around that time, the night manager began explaining that a basketball team in town for a tournament had decided to stay a little longer than expected, causing the hotel to be overbooked. He repeated this explanation several times and not only did it seem to make sense to him, he also seemed to think we should give him some level of understanding about the terrible predicament this had placed him in. However, he assured us that we would have one of their last 2 rooms (and that he would somehow upgrade us... suffice it to say, that did not happen) as soon as the clean rooms had been entered into their computer system.

Plot twist #1: night manager disappeared for several minutes. When he returned he told us that there were no rooms - the room he had intended to put us in was actually occupied. At this point, he informed us that he planned to send us (and about 5 other families) to Green Valley Ranch, 13 miles away. The night manager told us this was our only option and that we would all need to be patient while he wrote us a letter that we would need to check in at the new hotel.

Plot twist #2: night manager disappears for several minutes again. When he returned he announced that Green Valley Ranch did not have rooms for us and, in fact, no hotel in Vegas had rooms. Magically, they had found rooms right there at the Westin that were, however, not clean. The front desk staff informed us that they would assist the the 1 cleaning service person who was on site to clean the rooms. We did eventually get a room, although we we questioned te cleanliness (the towels appeared a bit disheveled and the bath products that were in the bathroom were partially used). The lady at te front desk who had helped prepare the room assured us that they made the bed AND put new sheets on it (as if that's something one should ever have to question at hotel!).

This nearly 2 hour ordeal at check in was unacceptable and I thought the night manager did an extremely poor job of handling the situation. I also find it totally unacceptable that the hotel actually had rooms but just didn't prepare for the number of guests for which they had made reservations.

• Stayed July 2012
8 Thank Kaka1313
It is disappointing to read about your recent experience with us and while we sincerely regret any inconveniences, the level of detail that you have provided is more than appreciated. Rest assured, your review will be shared with the appropriate departments, as the experience that you have described in no way reflects the high standards of customer service that we have set for our property. For any inconveniences or difficulties that you have experienced during check-in, we truly apologize. Thank you for sharing your perspective with us and we hope to someday get the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Henderson
The Strip
4.5 of 5 bubbles 15,569 reviews
M Resort Spa Casino
#1 of 25 in Henderson
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,284 reviews

Been to The Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!