1862 David Walley's Hot Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Genoa
Wadsworth, Nevada
“not happy”
Reviewed May 15, 2011

I understood the place changed hands and things we're being up graded but,
I took my husband there for a relaxing Anniversary and was not impressed. at all.
Thre SPA charged us to use the hot tub's , the jet's in all but one worked, I can see having some one pay if their only there to use the spa facilities but i would expect the tubs a least to be included in the hotel stay , since that's what people stay there for in the first place. The mosquito's were not fun at all ,they seemed to like the hot tubs and what was un them,needless to say we got eaten up as well. our room was not in good shape the dust was thick and the tv remote only worked if you held it right in fron of the tv to change channel or work the sound , or be sheets had holes in them, we decided to try the sauna in the auora building but that was a no go as well ,the upper bnench was broken so we could not sit on it , the directions mounted on the wall stated to put water on the rocks to make steam every 5 min utes or so
there was no water in the sauna for this either,our room had cpoffee and no cups (i angry at this point and go top the check in dest to complain. i leave my complaint's with the security man ,being told i would get a call later ( never happened _ we had to see the night manager who told me she didn't know of any complaint note left that morning ) hmmmm) i fully intend to tell everyone i know never to stay there and certinly never to buy one of their so called time share's, ( and i certinaly didn't see anything for kids to do with their families besides a play ground,pool table . i overherd one time shre owner 's complain they didn;t have certin things in their room that should have been there to begin with, never again dh

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
12 Thank cierouisly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
El Dorado Hills, California
Reviewed April 19, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at this resort in April 2011. He found it and I read the reviews, some good some bad. It is true that this property has recently changed hands and is currently being refurbished. A picky person would find faults and complain, however I personally found this to be a wonderful place to stay and relax. I could not find anything big enough to complain about.

This is a hot springs timeshare resort located in a quiet place just a few minutes from Genoa, NV. There are friendly people, employees, guests/owners, and locals . The hot springs are the highlight of course and are fabulous, the jets were not always working but the water was delightful and the staff checked the temperature of the tubs frequently. Water was kept between 100-105 degrees. There is a large cool pool and seven outdoor Mineral springs hot tubs. It was so relaxing and the mineral water is truly capable of curing your ails. There were times when it was cold out and we still sat in the warm waters of the spa, it even snowed a little while we sat there relaxing. The juxtaposition of relaxing in your bikini while people walk by in their ski jackets is fun and sitting in the hot tub with the snowy mountains as your view is incredible! There are men's and women's locker rooms with showers and sauna/steam rooms that are wonderful, shampoos and conditioners that are good quality, I showered almost every day there rather than in our room with my fancy hair products. There is no fee to use the hot springs, sauna, steam room, and showers if you are staying in the resort. (bring your robe though, it can be cold going to and from depending on the time of year) They also offered massage and other spa treatments.

The restaurant was fabulous. We went to happy hour and lunch and the food was wonderful. We also went to dinner one night and that too was delicious, steak cooked to perfection...no, I did not try the rattlesnake...but the bacon shrimp are a must! The wait staff and bar staff delightful, and the view from our table was beautiful and it was romantic and private. We were given many recommendations of other places to eat, only one other time did we go out and that was on the advise of a local to a basque restaurant in Minden. That was wonderful too.

We had a one bedroom condo in the Aurora building. Not remodeled, but a wonderful room never the less. Yes they are updating from the other end down with granite counters (we toured their updated model) but our room was still nicely kept, nicely decorated, no complaints. It featured tile counters, fireplace in the living room, full kitchen, soap and shampoos in the bathroom, jetted tub and shower, and a fabulous view from our private patio, TV in the living room and bedroom. Although you can ask for refills at the front desk, if you are driving in I would bring along items such as toilet paper and paper towels. Also although the rooms are supplied with the basic cooking and kitchen supplies such as plates and silverware and glasses, laundry soap and salt and pepper are must bring items, and any kitchen tool you like and use that is unique. There is a game room with table tennis, billiards, and fooze ball, and DVD'sfor rent in the front office. There are horseshoes, a kiddie play structure, weight room, and workout room with treadmills and climbers. Fresh baked cookies in the front office every day. (NO I do not work there!) They have Wifi but you have to pay for it. Maybe you could leave your computer at home,or figure out a way to get the internet through your phone.

Bottom line is that even though there are some bad reviews, this place was a wonderful place to go and relax. Be understanding that they are in the process of updating and don't nitpick and you will get what you came for in the first place...refreshed. Oh yes, and there are numerous resident geese, they honk a little and by day two you will be used to it. They will come up on your patio and eat right out of your hand. Hike down the stream a little and you will see the natural springs of hot water bubbling right out of the ground. And if you want to go off the property there is a neat old bar in Genoa, don't expect to go to the coffee shop, w e were told that he is only open when he feels like it, which wasn't any time that we were there. But maybe by the time you get there they will have the Starbucks opened on the resort site. Have a wonderful time and get refreshed at David Walley's!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank jv8r
CA
Reviewed April 14, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a week at the resort. It's pretty remote, restaurants and shopping are about 10 miles away, but the restaurant and bar are first rate! The food was 5 star and the service very attentive. It was a little pricey, but offering the lunch menu for dinner would have made it perfect! There are a lot of improvements in the works for the resort, which should make it a great place for a getaway.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MommaCa
Santa Cruz CA
Reviewed April 7, 2011

After reading the other reviews I was really concerned about coming here. I was pleasantly surprised. Despite evidence of the foreclosure situation mentioned in other reviews (Deli not open, Spa being ripped apart for rejuvenation), it was a clean, quiet, comfortable place with reasonable rates. Or so I thought. I was with friends for a timeshare swap, but was planning on coming back for my boyfriend's birthday this weekend once I called the front desk and got the rates for the room we were staying in.

But things went south, and what would have been four stars has become two.

A misunderstanding regarding the timeshare room was met with stonewalling by the front desk staff and NO callback from the manager regarding the matter. I will be calling daily until I get resolution.

The timeshare was originally supposed to be for a two bedroom, but we called 'too late' to schedule it and they said they only had availability for one bedroom. Fair enough. But I went online to look at reviews a few days before we went and there seemed to be plenty of availability. I suggested that we call and ask for an upgrade to the standard timeshare given the situation.

When my friend called, the desk informed her that she might be able to upgrade when she got there, but it would cost $200 dollars extra do to so. She relayed that information to me and I asked them to check out the room and ask for the upgrade if they thought it was truly worth it- I would pay the extra amount. I still didn't understand why they couldn't get their standard timeshare if the rooms were empty, but whatever.

They called me the morning after their arrival and said that they had been automatically upgraded to the standard without having to ask, no charge. I happily jumped in the car with my daughter and drove the five hours to the hotel.

We had a great week with the kids, and I splurged for 300 dollars worth of ski lessons for them since I hadn't bought the upgrade. Guess what? When they left, they were hit with the upgrade charge, in spite of the fact that they had not requested an upgrade on arrival and had been told by the security guard who checked them in that it was an automatic upgrade.

I had not budgeted this double whammy, cannot afford it, and am very upset. So I called the manager to leave a message explaining the situation and asking for a call-back. No call back two days later..so I call again and speak to the front desk, and they assure me he will call me back. NOPE.

I cannot recommend or return to a hotel where customer service seems to matter so little. I will continue to try to reach them and will update the review if and when I speak to a human being.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
13 Thank brbguana67
Stockton, California
Reviewed March 26, 2011

My wife was quite apprehensive initially of my purchase for a week of timeshare at David Walley's from her reading of negative comments on the internet. Was she surprised when we visited the place and saw it with our own eyes!

Its location cannot be beat. It is less than a relatively easy 25 mins climb up the slope to South Lake Tahoe and an equally easy 30 mins drive to Carson City and Reno for world class dinning and casino actions.

We stayed in a studio unit with a nice balcony looking to the east. The room is quite spacious with a king size bed and a pull-out queen sofa bed. There is a kitchenette with a minifrig and a microwave along with a rudimentary set of kitchenware and utensils. The sunrise from out unit is the best I've ever seen and the surrounding wetlands are simply heavenly under a blanket of fresh snow.

Walley's 1862 Restaurant serves great breakfast and lunch at unbelievably low prices in an intimate setting with great view of the mountains and wetlands. But best of all, the natural hotspring tubs and heated swimming pool are truly out of this world. I never felt so relaxed before in my life after a mere 5 minutes soak in a 104 F mineral water bath.

Conveniently located next to the hot spring tubs is a lap pool that is heated to a low 90 F temperature. Going back and forth between swimming in the warm pool and soaking in the hot tub in the mist of falling snow is as close to heaven as I can imagine. My wife told me that she even will give up staying and shopping at the Union Square in San Francsico for a stay at Walley's! Needless to say at the end of our stay, she was thrilled by our timeshare purchase at Walley's.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank henrychanmd
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 22, 2011

My husband and daughter ejoyed staying in the Dillion building in a two bedroom condo. It was spotless, comfortable and the kitchen was perfect for homemade dinners. Yes some of the property still needs TLC but just looking at what the new owners have completed to date gives me confidence that this will again return to a top notch property. We loved soaking in the tubs, getting spa treatments and proximity to famous ski resorts. The town of Genoa is quaint and having a drink at the "Oldest Thirst Parlor in Nevada" was fun! The views of the Sierra's are pristine. Overall a wonderful time at this resort.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank TomandLizzie
Sacramento, California
Reviewed March 16, 2011

We pay for our resort online(expidia). When we came there we find out that we have to pay $20-$25 to go to hot tubes. Why I will book resort spa without spa?! What else you can do on hot springs? Go to hot tubs. Why I will pay $150 per night in you resort if I have to pay for hot tubs. Doesn't make any sence. I came here because of hot tubes. My friends recommende it and they never pay for hot tubs. A lots of people was upset of this fact. I will not recommend anybody to stay in this resort. If you want to use hot tubs just pay $25 and leave. Don't pay for resort!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
12 Thank liyawatson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Genoa
Carson Valley Inn
#1 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 3 in Minden

Been to 1862 David Walley's Hot Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!