“Mislead”

Sheridan Creek Equestrian Center
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a horse boarding facility that offers custom trail rides in the mountains and around our ranch. Rides are $40/person/hour and start at age 4. We do have pony rides for younger riders which are $10 for 20 minutes.
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I bought some discount vouchers from travelzoo for a two hour "trail ride". I only bought them after going to the website and reading reviews of the Sheridan Creek Equestrian Center on their site and here on Trip Advisor. The pictures make it look like they give lovely rides into the eastern foothills of the Sierras. Oh boy was I was suckered!! Those photos are VERY misleading. Don't be fooled into thinking that the 'trail ride' will actually take you on a trail because this is NOT the case. What they offer is a ride around their flat pastures.
We cut our 2 hours to 1 once I asked the guide, as we walked off to a pasture in the opposite direction of the mountains, if we would get to somewhere more picturesque (like in the pictures). Her reply was "Nope". I couldn't believe my ears! In disbelief I then asked "So we are gonna just ride around these fields for 2 hours" and she said "Yes".
I rode back to the other two people in my group and told them what we'd be doing and they couldn't believe it either. We actually laughed because it was a joke! I suppose if you had NEVER been on a horse before or if you're a small child and the idea of riding a horse is mind-blowing then this might be an okay time. If however, you've EVER been on a horse and actually ridden on trails, this is completely and totally a waste of time and money.
To their credit, the facility is nice and the horses were good for stable horses (the temptation for the horse however, to eat constantly since we were walking through a field was almost unavoidable). Rachel, our guide, was pleasant and the tack in good condition. I was a little concerned about the reusing of helmets without so much as a blast of disinfectant but I'm sure the sun bakes out anything too harmful (right?). I'm glad other people have enjoyed the experience but I know I will never be back!

8  Thank Lee Pam S
Kristen R, Owner at Sheridan Creek Equestrian Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

I am sorry you were unhappy with you ride. Please, however, do note that on our website it does clearly state that the discounted ride is not our mountain ride. We do take people into the mountains on our full ticket priced ride and would love to have you back for that one in the future.

Thanks,
Kristen

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I brought my two kids here for a lesson a couple weeks ago. My daughter is 6 and my son had just turned 4. Neither had ridden anything but ponies before and both were a little nervous. As soon as we got there Kristen and another young woman (whose name I have forgtten) made them feel at home. The entire center is so clean and welcoming. They started the lesson by teaching them a little about the horses they would ride and showing them how to brush them. Soon they were up and riding. They did a great job of being very safe and making the kids feel confident. I was really impressed. As soon as we left my 4 year old asked if we could do this every weekend! Luckily they just put another deal on living social, so I of course immediatly purchased three more!

2  Thank TheTahoeFamily
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We really thoroughly enjoyed this horse riding experience across the fields and in the amazing arena that has been built on site. Surrounded by mountainous region, the natural scenes are quite incredible, and great for hacking...can imagine during the winters and the snow has fallen, that it's totally breathtaking!

Kristen who runs the place, who came out with us was so friendly and relaxed, and very knowledgeable and very down to earth, made us all feel such warmth by the time we were leaving the Center. There was three of us, and one was a complete novice, and she made sure to give him proper guidance how to hold reigns and what to do to enjoy his ride more throughly, which was really superb for him. The indoor arena is built world-class. The horses were extremely well-maintained and there was a story for each that shows her love for each of them.

Not too far from Lake Tahoe, and enough to enjoy a different scenic route if you are into landscape.

A well-worth recommending stables and riding place.

2  Thank Tania-Tapel