“Great stopping point”

Best Western Topaz Lake Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Gardnerville
Reviewed May 20, 2013

If you happen to be around Gardnerville, Nevada and need a place to stay, I recommend the Best Western Topaz Lake Inn. I booked 4 rooms recently and we stayed there for one night. The manager/owners are very friendly and helpful. They recommended Johnny's Roadhouse, but we decided on eating at the Iron Horse Cantina. The stay was quiet and restful and we had a great view of Topaz Lake. I paid another $15 for the third floor, but was glad I did. One of my friends were next to a room that had a dog that barked all night, thankfully that was not anywhere near my room (It pays to get a room on the top floor) The facility is very adequate. I had read online that some folks thought it needed some updating, but overall, the physical plant was clean and well kept. The really, really best thing about the stay was the peace and quiet of the area. Plus the motel is far enough off the highway, there's minimal traffic noise.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a room on the top/third floor. It's worth it. All the rooms face the lake an...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LocustTree
There are newer reviews for Best Western Topaz Lake Inn

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have stayed here four times over the past year. Gathering enough data really lends perspecitve over everyone elses. First I have to review the rooms as a whole. Whichever rooms you get to stay in you get a decent if not perfect view of the lake. I recommend the third floor if rooms are available. They have installed flat screen panel TV's in every room recently, which are fantastic. TV channels are of a really good selection too. Since they have flat panels, there are an abundance of connections on the side liek any other flat panel. The only problem is that you need to ask the front desk to use the master remote to change to these external devices if you have plugged anything into the TV.

The air conditioner/heater is very cold and hums at a very comfortable level. During the day it will shut off because of the energy saving boxes attached ,but they quickly begin agian once you step into the room. Within 10 minutes your room will be at your comfort level you set it to.

Showers are about a medium flow compared to most, but shouldn't bother anyone. Shampoo and soaps are a very nice fragrance. They always keep a nice assortment of toiletries for new guests. For instance they have wipes for makeup removal and a packet of toothpaste if you forget yours. Thay have in room coffee makers, but I urge you to get coffee downstairs as it is already made.

The beds are about a soft to medium. The pillows are perfect for anyone. I usually toss and turn when I sleep, but in these beds I might wake up once. The amount of sheets and cleanliness are as good as you can ask for.

Breakfast is served on a regular basis, but I would urge you to ask what time they are starting. Sometimes there is a lull in business and they may start later than usual. Average start time is between 6am and 7am. There is an assortment of breakfast foods. This hotel has one of the best free breakfasts I have seen in a long time. Of all the food I recommend the waffles the most.

If you stay at this hotel please study the road map leading to the hotel as it can be confusing. You need to travel to the road that takes you to the other side of the hotel facing the lake. Please use google street view or aerial view to prevent any confusion.

Room Tip: Third floor is always a win. Also if you can afford it, get the suite.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ScionDriver
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have nothing but good things to about this place. I arrived at 4:30am at this hotel and saw the night bell to ring so my party and myself could get into the hotel. Within one minute, we were greeted by a smile by the hotel staff.

The view from the hotel was spectacular! I highly recommend anyone who is wanting a weekend getaway to stay here. The rooms were exceptional, and the continental breakfast provided every morning was a delightful way to begin my day.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Tyrone1823
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

In the Topaz Lake area there are not many choices. This is an average hotel, which gives the impression that it is struggling a bit. The exterior needs some renovation but the rooms are large and had all the amenities. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom, though "basic", was clean. It was good for the price but there were better places in town priced higher but w/o the view. The Historian Inn looked very nice...but on rt 395 in Gardnerville, so it's a matter of which is most important.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank pasrts4046
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I have been stopping annually for the past 5 or 6 years at the Topaz Lake Inn. We return to this motel because it is clean and comfortable, off the road and quiet, and is pet friendly with lots of places to walk our dog. We also return because the proprietor of the motel greets us warmly and takes care that our room is ready when we have called ahead.
I recommend this motel to friends who travel the route on the eastern side of the Sierras and to all who want a comfortable place to stay.

Room Tip: Tell the proprietor what your needs are and he will find a room just right for you.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 716JohnG
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Our room hadde a beutiful View over the lake. The breakfast was good and the price reasonable.

The also Have room with a bubblebath

The staff was very helpfull and offered good adwise for our further journey

I recomend it.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank janerikSH
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Based on the reviews, this hotel was disappointing, perhaps because there isn't much else around. Upon arrival, the front desk was more interested in a personal phone conversation as I was left waiting for some time without acknowledgement. The room itself was nice on appearance, however the heater was very poor and noisy, which given it was -15C outside made for an unpleasant evening. The room was clearly not used or checked for some time. The toilet had no water flowing to it, I had to used the bin to fill the toilet up with tap water, when I turned on the taps for a drink, the water was brown and when I attempted to fill the bath it smelt like sewerage water. I was told reception was 24 hours however when I went to check out at 6am I was unable to get in to the lobby from inside or outside. I was left standing outside after packing the car in freezing conditions, had to go back to my room, call the front desk to sort out a check out which was to just leave the key in the room anyway.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank TheTravelingPanda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gardnerville
Super 8 Gardnerville Topaz Lake
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 3 in Minden
1862 David Walley's Hot Springs Resort and Spa

Been to Best Western Topaz Lake Inn? Share your experiences!