All reviewsmini martlake tahoecomfortable bedthe staff was friendly and helpfulwould recommend this hotel to anyoneplace to staynon smokingcontinental breakfastenjoyed my staybusiness tripironventpetsaccommodationsdressercasino
Reviewed September 12, 2017

They did a nice job redoing the lobby and the rooms are decent, but overall this hotel is kind of old. Our room had ants and the sheets could have been newer and softer.

This is a nice drive through the mountains to Lake Tahoe, but it's still about a 30-40 min drive, so it's not super convenient if you want to go back and forth multiple times during the day.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2017

I really enjoyed my stay. My room was clean and comfortable, and the staff were all very friendly. As a dog owner, and although I didn't have my dogs this time, this is a perfect place to base camp out of if you want to discover Lake Tahoe and the eastern Sierra. I definitely would recommend this hotel to anyone with dogs. I did have a little trouble with the system they use when I tried to cancel my last night, but the lady at the front desk was very patient in helping me understand their policy. Overall, I had an amazing stay at the Historian; I hope to be back again sometime.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed August 9, 2017 via mobile

Cleanliness is lacking greatly. Read below.

The reviews of this place are mixed. You either love or hate it, which tells you it's the Customer service above everything which is greatly lacking. Stayed the night here last night, did not get in until around midnight. Hotel and room is gorgeous, but upon going to bed we found we were sleeping on a bandaid. YES, a bandaid. You could tell the sheets were clean and had been through a wash so I am unaware how this even occurred? There were tons of little black specks at the foot of the bed. We moved to the other queen bed in the room and slept just fine. The next morning loading our things to the car we noticed light pet hair all over the floor, I mean all over. Gross. We told the front desk who did nothing, but apologize and looked at us as if we were making half of it up. We brought the bandaid up. He even said a dog stayed in the room. I took pictures and offered to go show him. I have traveled all over the US and have never complained about my stay and I've stayed in some pretty old road side motels. Working in the hospitality industry I would never treat a guest this way. We weren't wanting a free stay, but a discount off of a $100 room which wasn't clean is what should have been done. We didn't ask for one either. Front office clerk said they thoroughly clean them and then a manger follows after. He clearly thought they were perfect and make no mistakes. He gave me a card if you come back so many times you receive a free stay. Lol As if that will happen. Not to mention they also charge a $100 deposit as well when you stay. What? Very sad because as I stated the room/hotel was gorgeous. Go elsewhere for customer service. Will be posting pictures if

Stayed: August 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2017

The room was great, clean, and it was one of the few places that allowed pets. The staff was friendly and helpful. The only complains we had about the place were that the bathroom's vent was too loud and the key card stopped working 4 different times.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2017

I made a reservation at this hotel a week in advance. I had to cancel 5 days before due to a meeting being pushed back. I read the cancellation policy before I booked stating that I had to cancel by a certain date. However, I did not see the section that it had to be cancelled by 1:00 a.m. on that date. I cancelled at 9:00 a.m. that day but because it was 8 hours after the 1:00 a.m. deadline, the hotel would not budge on even a partial refund. I was charged the entire rate. Very misleading cancellation policy to list a certain date and then only allow cancellation up to the first hour of that day. Given that they had 5 more days before the reservation, I am sure they ended up renting the room and doubling their money. I will be staying elsewhere when I head back up to that area for my meeting and any future work or pleasure.

Stayed: May 2017, traveled on business