“Ice Cream Heaven!”

Steve's Homemade Ice Cream
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Fernley
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Located off exit 48 in Fernley, in a shopping center, this place is at the top of my list of ice cream/gelato places in the country (I consider myself an ice cream connoisseur). It is creamy and flavorful. Be warned-- the single scoops are really like doubles in most other places; it's a lot of rich ice cream. I couldn't finish mine, so that is saying something. Definitely check out this place.
If you want to use credit cards, you have to spend at least $10, so bring some cash with you.A single scoop was $2.50.
I will definitely be stopping here the next time I drive across Nevada, or fly in to Reno. It would be worth the short drive!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We got into Fernley a little late on our way back from a road trip to San Jose and ice cream sounded like a good idea, so we checked out this place. It's tucked into a shopping with a couple of other restaurants and a grocery store. The ice cream was great, with a pretty decent selection of ice cream and Italian ice flavors. The servings were really generous, so keep that in mind when ordering. The employees were friendly. I believe one was the owner (Steve, I assume) and another was his daughter.

Even if we're not staying in Fernley, the next time we're going through I think we'll probably stop to take a break and get some ice cream.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Its great, stop in for Ice Cream and get the local gossip he is plugged into this town. He keeps the popular flavors but there is always something new and is open to suggestions and its all made there in the shop.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

The only thing that may be as delectable as the homemade ice cream here is the New York accent of owner Steve Cordes as he greets you and fills your order.

Not only did the scrumptious, huge scoops of ice cream (a single here is the size of a double in most places) tickle our tastebuds, listening to Steve was music to my Brooklyn native hubby's ears. He and Steve, who hails from Staten Island where he also made homemade ice cream, had a lot to talk about.

But as delightful as Steve is, the real reason to go here is the ice cream made in dozens and dozens of traditional flavors. My hubby opted for butter pecan. I had rocky road. Both were yummy. Given Steve's also has Italian ices, including in cherry and lemon flavors, were his store not eight hours away from my front door I would eat my way down the line of both display cases.

I have friends who are diabetic and so I noted that the menu contained no sugar added frozen yogurt. Just passing that along if you are like them and want find that helpful to know in advance. Steve's Homemade Ice Cream has something for everyone.

Everything sparkles with pride of ownership here, from the gleaming clean interior to the top quality homemade products to Steve himself.

We learned about this ice cream store from a local who said "Do NOT miss this place." We pass that advice on to other travelers. Steve's is easy to find, located in a newer strip mall right off of Hiway 95A and sandwiched in between a Sushi place and a Chinese food restaurant with lots of parking in the paved lot and easy access in the door.

PS - A great stop for lunch or dinner in Fernley before dessert at Steve's is Jehova Es Mi Pastor for Mexican food. It's a take out or outdoor seating place and I'd write a review on Trip Advisor if I could figure out how to enter it. But other review sites have it listed so you can look it up there. And locals will tell you about it too, just as they will about Steve's. Listen to them on both counts!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Always gotta love home made ice cream. It just always tastes so much better. I was just there a couple days ago for my pineapple milkshake. Yummy