“A Nice Restaurant, but Service can be a Little Slow”
Review of The Slanted Porch

The Slanted Porch
Ranked #2 of 55 Restaurants in Fallon
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 22, 2013

When we arrived (no reservation) we received a gracious welcome . Restaurant was 2/3 full. We were seated immediately. Drink orders, followed by food orders, were taken promptly and items arrived without undue wait. The orders were correctly filled and the meals were delicious. While we were eating, almost all of the tables turned over and service slowed noticeably as the staff scrambled to tend to the new customers. Result is that we waited quite a while for the check and it was hard to get the attention of the staff. Others have commented on the 3% credit card surcharge, however it was prominently disclosed on the menu so I didn't have a problem. When I asked for the check, I told the server I would be paying with cash and the check arrived without surcharge. Bottom line is that I would be happy to dine here again, remembering that service may slow down if things get busy.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We had dinner here and, like others have said, the service was a tad slow. The servers are knowledgeable and friendly, it just seems to take a little time.

That said, the food was good. The funny thing is, it seems like their specials are almost as numerous as the normal menu. There was prime rib, rack of elk, t-bone steak, etc. as specials when we were there. I went with the t-bone, advertised as being from a local ranch, and it was very tender and cooked to order. My only complaint would be that it was a little on the thin side. Most of the time I've had t-bone it has been a lot thicker. But it was good beef, and the asparagus was quite tasty.

A surprise, though, was the bleu cheese fries. Normally, I'm not a fan of steak-cut fries as they tend to be undercooked, but being a lover of bleu cheese I took the gamble. And I'm glad I did. They were nice and crisp with an excellent sauce. Throw in the nicely-prepared dinner salad and freshly-baked rosemary bread and it made for a fine meal.

Also, they do have a kids menu with the usual suspects (hamburger, chicken strips, mac and cheese and spaghetti) for $6.95. My son went with the burger and it came with a mound of fries (ironically, the delicious shoestring variety). He proclaimed it a winner.

One thing that was surprising was a 3% credit card surcharge was added to the bill before any payment was offered. Not sure what would happen if someone used cash, plus I think this tends to be against credit card companies' merchant terms.

This is one of those places where I wish TripAdvisor had a different rating system. The food really doesn't warrant a three-star "Average" rating, but the other factors make me feel odd giving it a "Very Good." In the end, though, I guess the food wins out.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

The service was a little slow, but the food was fine. Not exceptional, but good. Average size portions

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We frequent high end restaurants- the food here is amazing. We never thought that we would find a gem like this in Fallon! Super nice staff, great selection. Homemade everything- dressings and all!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

The menu is good, prices aren't bad, but unless your a regular or a local, service is only so so. The food is good, love thier sandwiches and the building is nice, they feature local artwork. very clean, just need to improve the service, been there several times and always get that feeling about the help. they always add 3% FEE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE CHECK FOR CREDIT CARDS, So if you are paying cash make sure they take it off.