“Could the people who work here be any miore wonderful?”

Prospector Hotel and Gambling Hall
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Ely
Americus, Georgia
“Could the people who work here be any miore wonderful?”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We originally had a reservation at La Quinta, but they "lost" it even though we had a confirmation number. The women working there were nasty, rude, unwelcoming and arrogant, tyranical, really. We found the very last hotel room in Ely here, and am I glad we did. Nice front desk, adorably helpful, free cocktail coupons and a very nice room. I would have not considered staying here, but I would stay here again and again. Thanks front desk Brian from saving us (a 98 year old and me) from they TYRANTS at La Quinta and making us gleeful again!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Lenore, Idaho
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We travel with our two crate-trained Beagles (show dogs). Once they finish with their outside potty business....they run right into their crate-home, that they consider their house. We called the Prospector, as our usual Motel, the Ramada Copper Queen Motel could not accommodate us for the whole time. We told them upon inquiry about pets that they would be welcome, with no mention of an extra pet fee. We arrived. We had reservations for 14 days, as we are from Idaho and my husband is employed in Nevada. 4 days before our departure...my husband checked the bill. he discovered that they had added a $210 fee for the dogs. They took the $ right out of our credit card without informing us!! They also took a $1500 hold on funds on the card without informing us. They then said that our 12 year old granddaughter answered the phone and OK'd the hold. The day we checked out, my husband went down to settle the bill. They (another surprise), had taken a $200 "cleaning fee" out of our credit card without informing us. They said that 2 small beagles in a crate the whole time had destroyed the room!! Don't EVER stay there.....you may lose your shirts like we did on a $2357.00 room bill....we lost $410!! Save yourself the grief and go to the Ramada Copper Queen.

Room Tip: Poor ground floor rooms....you can hear every footstep above you. Walls are thin. Noisey.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
7 Thank nrsconnie
desertdawn, employee at Prospector Hotel and Gambling Hall, responded to this review, September 18, 2011
Corrected response

Regarding the review dated August 13, 2011, there are some facts missing that need to be addressed. First, over 1000 customers stay at the Prospector in any given year. One must assume that a standard of living differs with each customer. The Prospector maintains the highest possible standard in order to accommodate the guest with comfort and amenities. The room that the reviewer stayed in had to have the carpet, bedding, etc. replaced. The cost was estimated at $900.00. It needs to be noted that there are many positive reviews including two that followed this reviewer. Also, in 2007, the hotel changed hands and name. The reviews dated September 1, 2005, should be removed. They have nothing to do with the current operation.
Regarding the review dated August 10, 2011; Renee left a few days after this reviewer was in the lobby. The Prospector Hotels regrets this incident and invites travelers that are coming through the area to stop in and talk to the front desk staff. Ask to view the theme rooms.
Australia
Reviewed June 27, 2011

The reception people were the friendliest we met on our USA road trip. They couldn't do enough for you and even helped us negotiate a cheaper rate! The room was clean and spacious with the car park just outside of the room.
Our meal in the restaurant was excellent, cooked fresh and to perfection. Would recommend this hotel to anyone passing through Ely.

Room Tip: Negotiate with the reception.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sardross
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 12, 2011

The Prospector is your perfect place for a night in Ely. Great bedds, bug rooms, wonderful foo-fra decor (choose a hunting theme room), and prices about half of the other "better" hotels in Ely. And did I say the people are super friendly and enjoyable?

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank MountainFriendsPhoto
Olympic Penninsula
Reviewed November 8, 2010

the casino is small but great. Bar and restaurant are nice and friendly as are hotel/casino staff.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed September 25, 2010

I stoped at the hotel at 5:45 in the eveing on a Friday. They had a special for the snow crab legs (This should have been the warning).

After I ordered my crab legs, I overheard another table where one of the people at the table had ordered crab legs and they were having quality issues with the crab. I indicated this to the waitress and I let her know that I would wait and see if the crab legs I recieved also had quality issues.

Well of course they did, this was not such a great problem. However when I let them know that I did not intend on eating the crab legs the waitress fist tried to comp me with a desert. I did not want a disert. I did let her know that I would like to order somthing else from the menu in place of the bad crab legs. They would not accomodate. She let me know the best they could do was to reduce the bill by 25%. Totaly obsurd. I finnay just wanted to leave the wrech of a hell hole resturant inside the hotel.

She went to talk to the manager then she comes back to the table and says she is going to talk to the cooks. I let her know that I was continueing my drive back home in Henderson and that my time if far more improtant than dealing with them. I decided just pay so I could leave this pathetic resturant. I intend on contacting the hotel management and the owner.

DO NOT EAT OR STAY AT THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Ellicott City, MD
Reviewed August 14, 2010

We recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights & were extremely pleased with the facilities/accommodations. Friendly check-in staff.; Our spacious room was on the second floor; coffee maker, TV, microwave, small fridge, toiletries and thoughtfully decorated. Free business center. Hotel was very quiet & we enjoyed the restaurant on site (also a casino)
I was a little apprehensive beforehand by some of the reviews on this site but now realize they weren't current.
We would definltely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business