Hotel Nevada
$129
$55
$129
$101
Rustic Inn Motel(Ely)(Great Value!)
$65
$85
$77
$69
Agoda.com
All reviewsjimmy stewartrooms are smallwater temperaturetallest buildingcharlie pridejunior suitefour poster bedfourth floorlots of historyhistoric placestep back in timeinteresting hotelcasino downstairslas vegasmain floortable gamesfree drinks
Reviewed April 30, 2009

The last time I passed through Ely the mine was shut down , it's been running again the last 3-4 years and the town feels more alive . I had 2 good meals , dinner at La Fiesta and breakfast at Hotel Nevada . This town is a good base for exploring the region , as long as you don't expect everyplace to be yuppie-fied . The fact that it isn't is an asset . I'm glad there are still a few places in the west that feel real , like Ely and Modoc county Ca. It's the antithesis of Truckee or Gunnison , see what the west was really like before it's too late .

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank BuckTurgidson
Reviewed February 11, 2009

My wife and I stayed here on the way to Oregon for a family 4th of July get-together in Oregon. Traveling across Nevada on Highway 50 is an eye-opening, fascinating experience I reccomend to anyone.
Take this hotel for what it is, a glimpse into Nevada's colorful history. Sure It's not 4 or 5 Diamond service, but the price of the rooms should have told you that. There is so much character to this place we absolutely loved it. Yeah the lobby is smoky, but our "John Schnieder" (of Dukes of Hazzard "Fame") suite was spotless and fun without being to kitchsy. The staff and concierge were great, helping us get tickets to ride the Ely Ghost Train (another must) at the last minute. Lastly the food was wonderful! Try the pizza, it was AMAZING!
Stay at the Hotel Nevada and spend a few days exploring Ely and the surrounding area's coloful history, and try to imagine what it was like in it's heyday. We had a wonderful time and are staying again in March of 2009 on our way to a Northern California vacation. We'll try and update after our return.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dpierson83
Reviewed October 1, 2008

Overall it was a great place to stay and the goods outnumbered the bads...except for one thing.

It's an old hotel and, for that reason, very cool!...also for that reason, very flammable. Fire escapes were not obvious, nor were routes or plans of how to get out if there was a fire. I stayed on the forth floor in a great room, but I always check out how to get out of room - particularly in old, flammable buildings when I'm on an upstairs floor, and it wasn't clear how I'd get out.

AND, because of the casino, it's reeaaallly smokey and smells like cigarettes UNTIL you get upstairs. Then it's OK.

As I said, overall, it's a great place and worth more than they charge by a long shot! Very cool rooms with interesting furniture - four poster bed, large wooden bookcase taking up an entire wall, large, dark wood dresser...very nice, very nice! I'd go back for sure, but would want to find a way out first...

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 30, 2008

This sounded like a decent place to stay for our family for 2 nights. The website had some photos and such which made it look pretty good. We are a family of 4, and booked a large room with queen, 2 bunks plus a twin. I know it is historic, so we thought it would be pretty old and dingey. It was old, but honestly was quite nicely updated and comfortable. It would never be a brand new style room, but that is not the point. It was quite comfortable and quiet. We had a non smoking room and floor, and smelled no smoke at all. The bedding is fair, but most all else we excellent. The casino is old, dark and smokey, but that is just what it is supposed to be. Our stay was very pleasant and I would stay there again. The prices are wonderful. We paid $55 or $60 and got a very large couple of rooms. Smaller rooms are only $45 to $50.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank MaxDawg
Reviewed July 29, 2008

We were travelling "The Loneliest Highway" on our trip out West and booked this the day of our stay.

Picture an TV Western Saloon/Hotel and you get a good idea of the decor, minus the dancing girls, of course. The first floor is all slot machines, a restaurant, and the Front Desk/Cash-Out window complete with mail cubbyholes and actual key hooks.

We parked in the rear - nice big well lit lot, and a well lit bright entryway. We brought our kids and luggage through the casino to the elevator. There were a few patrons smoking, but the air was moving and clear and we didn't experience the smoke problems of a past reviewer

The Hotel was built in the 1920s, has 6 floors, and was at one time the tallest hotel in Nevada. My kids found this interesting, since the previous week we stayed on the 17th floor of the Luxor in Las Vegas. Other past guests included Jimmy Stewart, Wayne Newton and President Lyndon Johnson.

Because the rates were so reasonable, we opted for two rooms -- one for my wife and I and one for the kids. They had adjoining rooms on the 6th floor, but we were told they didn't have a connecting door. We said OK and took it anyway. As it turned out, they did have the door, afterall, so that made things even better. Odd that the desk didn't know that.

Our room was small with a queen bed. (Named after an actor who stayed there, but I forget who) The bathroom was tiny, but clean and functional. The TV worked well, as did the AC.

The kids stayed in the Tennessee Ernie Ford room (who also stayed there) and there's was much bigger with 2 beds and a larger bathroom (maybe twice as large as ours). Also no issues.

With the connecting door open there was plenty of room for all of us. All of us slept well. The beds and pillows were comfortable after a long ride from Sacramento (I'm 6'2" and no problems with a footboard, though I also have one at home, too)

No smells, mold, anything out of the ordinary. No noise -- even with 3 casinos in the area. Everything was great.

Both bathrooms had warnings about the showers and the possibility that the water could swing from hot to cold suddenly due to the age of the hotel, but we all showered with no issues.

Overall a great experience, especially at such a low pricepoint and at the last minute. I'd definitely go again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family