“As options in Ely go, this one seemed pretty solid ...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jailhouse Motel & Casino

Jailhouse Motel & Casino
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Ely
“As options in Ely go, this one seemed pretty solid ...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

It's not a four star hotel obviously, but I gave it four stars for the quality of my experience there given my expectations/budget. The evening desk staff was very courteous, the room was clean and warm when I arrived (important for a winter night's stay) ... the restaurant they have offers good bang for the buck at breakfast. I was pleased that I ended up here on my travels through town!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank wmateo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Czech first
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

For the rate, at the last minute this room was not bad at all! The only complaint I have are the tiny pillows and the hard beds. Other than that, the room was extremely clean and well kept. If I were ever stuck in Ely again, I would stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank princessrtk
Powell, Wyoming
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

We looked around town and redrove the main street. Some of the other motels looked pretty scary or run down. What a surprise we had with the Jailhouse. The room was in the second building behind the one that looks like a motel. They had a specific name for it but I can not recall what it was. Just ask and I am certain they will know. The room was very large and the bathroom big, well lit and lots of hot, good water pressure. Think it was upgraded recently. The only thing is the carpet needed restretched/tightened. Be careful not to trip yourself on the wrinkles. Best jail cell I have ever stayed in....not that I have ever gotten the real cell stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ManyRoadsTraveled
so. california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

We were exhausted by the time we arrived. Many hours on the road with truck problems The beds were great and the rooms were clean. We had dinner at the Jailhouse restaurant and the food was yummy. 1/2 the price of the La Quinta Inn. Good choice happy with all.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank bubblybare
Nampa, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

We decided that we didn't want to make the trip from St. George, Ut back home to Idaho in one drive. This was an excellent choice for an overnight stay. The room was spacious and clean, the staff friendly and helpful. The wi-fi worked great in our room, not so much any where else, but connected to the Hotel Nevada across the street from the cafe. The casino was small, but this is Ely after all!
There was a slight smell of cigarette smoke, but not bad enough to give me a headache. This motel is has both smoking and non-smoking rooms and is also pet friendly. We don't travel with pets, but for those that do.
We really liked the cafe inside the casino, the restaurant was a little on the spendy side for our depleted travel budget. We ate dinner and breakfast at the cafe and were not disappointed either time. The staff on both shifts were super. We were given a $2.50 coupon for breakfast which amounted to $5 off our breakfast.
Neither my husband nor I eat wheat and they substituted an orange for toast without a quibble and without charging extra. I was impressed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Cedar City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Very friendly staff, quiet, comfortable and clean, pet friendly ($10 charge though) good food.

WiFi signal reaches but they need to reset their routing table. It's assigning APIPA addresses (169.254.x.x) to All of my devices (iPad, laptop). Nothing wrong with my devices, as I'm on one now down the street.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

The room was clean and spacious, the bed comfortable, and the shower water pressure was fabulous. The carpet and furniture was old and stained and I wasn't keen to take off my shoes except in bed. The wifi worked intermittently. No free breakfast (upon check we were given a discount voucher for breakfast in the casino) Overall it was quiet and acceptable, but there was not much from which to choose in the loneliness of Northern Nevada.

They intermittently tested the fire alarms and smoke alarms for the first 2 hours we were there and it was so loud and obnoxious we had to leave the hotel. The city itself is dismal and depressing and only exists (I surmise) because the road to Vegas runs through it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple